SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:50 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,288 Posts
Not image stabilization, just heavy duty Velcro under the wing.

It was amazingly calm for Kansas, the wind was only about 7MPH and not gusty. My biggest problem was getting it smoothed out into level flight with my old eyes trying to track about three different bright, blurry airplanes.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2012, 08:40 AM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
408 Posts
I'm still night gliding with my Graupner Elektro Junior S.

Here's a short video from a recent flight.

Coral Springs Aerial view at Night (0 min 57 sec)
gatorlynch is offline Find More Posts by gatorlynch
Old Feb 07, 2012, 11:21 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,288 Posts
Looks like fun. What camera are you using?
Old Feb 08, 2012, 07:50 AM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
What camera are you using?
I'm using a little keychain cam from eBay. This one is one of the newer HD units, although I have previously used the #3 units.

If you're interested, my YouTube channel has more on-board aerial videos (day & night) & some ground based night flying.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gatorlynch/videos

Feel free to scroll around.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:35 AM
what goes up must be good
Joined Feb 2009
60 Posts
i am prepping my 2.2m balsa and ply glider for night flight. I have got a de light starter kit for lighting the tail and nose of the fuselage and 2 1m white led strip lights (connected straight to the battery) for the wings. The power setup is almost identical to the radian but with a graupner 11x6 cam speed folding prop.

I am using spektrum telemetry in the plane with an altimeter. Was thinking i would set alerts for going too high (say 500 or 600ft) but also a lesser alert for going too low (say 100ft) to give me piece of mind that i am not going to hit any unseen trees or structures.

Should i connect the strip lights to the main 3s 1300mah battery balance plug, or use a separate small 3s for them?
onelastflight is offline Find More Posts by onelastflight
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:21 AM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelastflight View Post
Should i connect the strip lights to the main 3s 1300mah battery balance plug, or use a separate small 3s for them?
Welcome to the world of night gliding!

You will be fine hooking directly to the main battery. Just keep an eye on things & realize that your normal flight times will be reduced a bit. .

I've never had a situation where my power was drained down to a dangerous point. I did keep her out too long one time; it got to the point where the lights were dimming noticeably when I powered up from a glide - time to come home!

Using a seperate battery like you suggested will work (it will need to be 3s for the lights to shine bright enough) - if you have one & it works room, weight & balance wise. Or, you could use a slightly battery than normal (eg - 1500-1600) for some peace of mind.

I've had my 2M Graupner EJS up over 1000' without any problems; I think you'll be suprised at how visible it is at night.

Keep us updated - your get extra credit for pics & vids!
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:07 AM
Joined Feb 2009
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorlynch View Post
Welcome to the world of night gliding!

You will be fine hooking directly to the main battery. Just keep an eye on things & realize that your normal flight times will be reduced a bit. .

I've never had a situation where my power was drained down to a dangerous point. I did keep her out too long one time; it got to the point where the lights were dimming noticeably when I powered up from a glide - time to come home!

Using a seperate battery like you suggested will work (it will need to be 3s for the lights to shine bright enough) - if you have one & it works room, weight & balance wise. Or, you could use a slightly battery than normal (eg - 1500-1600) for some peace of mind.

I've had my 2M Graupner EJS up over 1000' without any problems; I think you'll be suprised at how visible it is at night.

Keep us updated - your get extra credit for pics & vids!
wow this forum is helpful! thanks for the quick response! yes i will post some pics when it is done, still thinking about the finer points of the setup a bit I will try just connecting the wing strip leds to the main battery balance plug first as suggested. I set the esc cutoff on the maximum safety margin (3.15v per cell) so if i run it down to the cutoff, it should still have enough juice to glide around with the lights on while it descends for landing. The wing strips wont be controllable from the tx but the tail and fuselage lights will be.

I only want the separate battery if i really have to cos i think it makes sense to keep the plane as light and floaty as possible so it can fly slow. On the other hand i have a go pro camera in it in the day for aerial photography which the plane carries easily, and this is a bit heavier than my thunderpower 3s 850mah.

will keep you posted!
Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:26 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,288 Posts
I run my lights off of the balance tap on my 3S LiPo. I have 100 LEDs (HK LED strip lights) on one of my planes and they pull about 0.3 amps, so they don't reduce my flight time to any noticeable degree.

Make sure you pull power from the first and last wires, that'll pull from all your cells equally, giving you full voltage, and preventing your battery from getting out of balance.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:28 PM
Joined Feb 2009
60 Posts
Name: main wing light harness 1.jpg
Views: 30
Size: 77.0 KB
Description:

Name: main wing light harness tidied up.jpg
Views: 34
Size: 43.5 KB
Description: i made up a simple wiring harness for the wing led strips. It also incorporates the spektrum telemetry voltage sensor in parallel. this means i don't have to wire it into the main power wires from the battery to the ESC.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:02 PM
Dark Yet??
United States, VA, Narrows
Joined Dec 2009
1,484 Posts
I have a bag of connectors I use to connect my LEDs to the balance tap on my batteries. I use this connector on my plane's wiring harness. Works well in any place you need a separate battery connection without splicing into the main battery cable, like on a FPV plane.

If anybody wants some PM me.
Barn-E-Stormer is offline Find More Posts by Barn-E-Stormer
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:33 PM
Joined Feb 2009
60 Posts
Name: GEDC0047.jpg
Views: 39
Size: 39.6 KB
Description:

Name: GEDC0048.jpg
Views: 40
Size: 68.1 KB
Description:

Name: GEDC0055.jpg
Views: 35
Size: 146.3 KB
Description:

Name: GEDC0050.jpg
Views: 36
Size: 107.1 KB
Description:

Name: GEDC0053.jpg
Views: 35
Size: 135.0 KB
Description:

Name: GEDC0054.jpg
Views: 41
Size: 137.5 KB
Description: got some pictures of the lights in action. They are a bit dodgy though cos of the darkness.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:20 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,288 Posts
Night fliers are very difficult to capture well in the air. My best attempts have actually been at dusk.
Old May 07, 2012, 04:34 AM
Joined Feb 2009
60 Posts
Went out night flying last night to test my setup out. Haven't done night flying for ages, it sure is a strange experience, though probably more so for anyone watching! The whole thing worked like a dream, was very easy and comfortable to see and fly. There's definately something in this night gliding idea!

Will get some photos next time, went on my own this time so it would have been difficult to get pictures.
Old May 08, 2012, 10:11 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,288 Posts
I often draw in gawkers with my night planes. I love it.
Old May 11, 2012, 09:16 PM
Thermal Seeker
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
4,149 Posts
Had my night flyer radian lit up with about 400 LEDs at SEFF. We put an altimeter in it and took it up to 2408 feet! It was starting to blend in with the stars. What a flight.
electrich is offline Find More Posts by electrich