SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 02, 2011, 10:31 PM
Navigator
USA, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2010
670 Posts
Yes, the video amplifier solved my problem with the washed out signal. I am pretty happy with mine other than their inability to show static. First sign of static and they go black. It comes back pretty quick but it's pretty irritating to have to fly blind. Now I am on a quest for a video sync generator of some sort that will solve the static issue.

I hope you also get your problems sorted out. I can recommend the amplifier/splitter, however I had to open it up and re-solder the power connector because it was loose upon arrival. No big deal.
volto is offline Find More Posts by volto
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2011, 05:09 PM
Joined Sep 2011
114 Posts
I cant belive that a change in video signal (like amplifying) can fix this issue. Doesnt look like a bad video signal to me, because only one eye is affected...
Parity is offline Find More Posts by Parity
Old Oct 03, 2011, 05:12 PM
Norway, Hordaland, Os
Joined Nov 2004
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parity View Post
I cant belive that a change in video signal (like amplifying) can fix this issue. Doesnt look like a bad video signal to me, because only one eye is affected...
On mine both eyes are affected.

- Thomas
thnilsen is offline Find More Posts by thnilsen
Old Oct 05, 2011, 12:08 AM
Trying to learn.
Moscow, Russia
Joined Jun 2010
181 Posts
Had the same problem. Changed one resistor in "battery module" and white haze is gone!
Hope, pictures are self-explaining
Name: 1ff5467d78ab27b830860e1172c8c042.jpg
Views: 496
Size: 105.7 KB
Description:

Name: 13a8382919e5b43cb60b1cdbff3bc62b.jpg
Views: 454
Size: 102.6 KB
Description:

Name: 0b5327c1c4100702f58d6d518abd05f8.jpg
Views: 521
Size: 120.4 KB
Description:

10 Ohms - white haze
28 Ohms - no haze, some flickering on two brightest levels (out of 4)
18 Ohms - no haze, just very small flickering only on the brightest level
So i stopped at 18 Ohms.

BTW, tried capacitor shunts (different values) - no changes
leprud is offline Find More Posts by leprud
Old Oct 05, 2011, 01:11 AM
Navigator
USA, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2010
670 Posts
Very interesting leprud, thanks for sharing. What made you think of doing that? Maybe you can find a way to make them show static?
volto is offline Find More Posts by volto
Old Oct 05, 2011, 02:12 AM
Trying to learn.
Moscow, Russia
Joined Jun 2010
181 Posts
Was just poking around, found voltage regulator with 9+ volts output and remembered this solution, so tried to lower output voltage. Not best solution, but works
Old Oct 05, 2011, 04:33 PM
Joined Sep 2011
114 Posts
I just did this mod, removing the tiny black thing on this location and replacing it with a 15 Ohm resistor. At least it still works, pew. Will report back if the white haze/fog will reappear.
Old Oct 06, 2011, 04:34 AM
Trying to learn.
Moscow, Russia
Joined Jun 2010
181 Posts
Thanks for trying! Could you please say, do you see any flickering on highest level of brightness?

Any tests passed?
Old Oct 06, 2011, 07:03 AM
Joined Sep 2011
114 Posts
Yeah it flickers a bit in brightness. But it was flickering a bit before the mod too.
I solderes wires on and tried different resistors, but I couldnt see a difference between 15 ohms and 7 ohms in the flickering. (btw: Without a resistor picture is just white lines.)
I would say that the flickering is not worse than it was before. And I did not have the white haze yesterday. So far so good, but I am not ready to belive that it is gone forever.
Will retry these days with fully charged goggles, I had the feeling it was less likely to appear with low battery.

edit: Day 2: Today I used the goggles for 40 minutes continously, brightness at max. Everything was fine. Thanks for this (crazy) hint leprud.

For everyone who will try it, take this advice: USE WIRES. Don't try to solder on the resistor directly to the board, chances are you will destroy the soldering pads. Remove the tiny black resistor and quickly solder on two wires on the soldering pads. With this wires you can mess around without risking to damage the board due to heat of soldering a component on it. Almost happened to me.
Last edited by Parity; Oct 06, 2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 06:45 AM
Joined Oct 2011
1 Posts
Resistor Values

Hello, I am new here, but thankfully found this thread!

I was hoping someone would confirm that the value for the replacement resistors is indeed in the Ohms and not KiloOhms range. I tried replacing the resistor with an adjustable resistor (0-50 Ohms), and adjusting it through the range, but it did not seem to work. Perhaps I don't have a solid connection to the original solder pads, which I will try to remedy today.

Thank you in advance!
rkalmar is offline Find More Posts by rkalmar
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:23 AM
Trying to learn.
Moscow, Russia
Joined Jun 2010
181 Posts
They are Ohms. You can measure voltage on both pins of your resistor (from ground of course). They should be 9-9.5 and 8-8.5
Old Oct 21, 2011, 08:17 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jun 2009
475 Posts
Hi Guys,
I'm just setting myself up to begin FPVing, and after some research decided to buy myself a second hand pair of the MyVu Chrystal 701's for the job as they seem to offer excellent resolution for the $$ (bought for $70). I am also hoping that being able to "see around" them will also allow me to operate without a spotter when I fly.

Anyway the seller sounded very straightforward and garunteed they worked etc. Just recieved them tonight and they do - excellent image :-) ....for a few minites before the left screen went all "white haze" on me ....soon followed by the right :-( damn!

So, I'm not beyond a little opening up and hacking to get my (cheap!) investment going, but wanted to confirm if Leprud's great solution is still working for people etc.? Is this a permanent fix? and if so - I', afraid I don't see which component needs changing from your photos Leprud. So I was wondering if I could get you to describe it for us "dummies" and perhaps put an arrow or similar on the photo to I know what I am changing? :-)

I'd really appreciate the help, as I am obviously an ametuer in the electronics game!!!

Thanks guys,
Look forward to the replies.

Cheers,
Matt
pheonix3 is online now Find More Posts by pheonix3
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:17 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jun 2009
475 Posts
still white haze on Iphone video signal...

Hi Volto,
I recently bought these for FPVing. The pair I acquired are for the Iphone/ipod etc, so I'll be needing alternative connections from my Vido Rx in the FPV setup. But I thought I'd report to you that the video feed from the apple products as I have tested them still produce the white haze... so that answers your query below.

I am hoping that some of the talented experts on this thread can help me with a solution. I'm am glad that the video amp with the adjustable gain worked for you, but I wonder if that is really the problem? Is than any similarity technically between your solution and other's soldering in new resistors?

Any thoughts here Gents?

Cheers,
Matt[/I]

Quote:
Originally Posted by volto View Post
Yes mine wash out badly too. I ordered this adjustable video amplifier to hopefully sort it out. I think the reason this is happening is because the myvu expects a very specific video signal (probably based on what the ipod outputs) and if it's slightly off-spec then it looks messed up. So hopefully I will be able to adjust the gain so it looks correct regardless of how off-spec the source video signal is. Can probably get the same effect from putting a resistor on the video input but I haven't tried.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 05:19 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jun 2009
475 Posts
anyone out there...?

BUMP!

...any further thoughts or experience on fixing those MyVu Chrystals Gents? I'm looking for some confirmation before I start soldering and need to know WHAT I am soldering!!

Thanks in advance :-)

Cheers,
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheonix3 View Post
Hi Guys,
I'm just setting myself up to begin FPVing, and after some research decided to buy myself a second hand pair of the MyVu Chrystal 701's for the job as they seem to offer excellent resolution for the $$ (bought for $70). I am also hoping that being able to "see around" them will also allow me to operate without a spotter when I fly.

Anyway the seller sounded very straightforward and garunteed they worked etc. Just recieved them tonight and they do - excellent image :-) ....for a few minites before the left screen went all "white haze" on me ....soon followed by the right :-( damn!

So, I'm not beyond a little opening up and hacking to get my (cheap!) investment going, but wanted to confirm if Leprud's great solution is still working for people etc.? Is this a permanent fix? and if so - I', afraid I don't see which component needs changing from your photos Leprud. So I was wondering if I could get you to describe it for us "dummies" and perhaps put an arrow or similar on the photo to I know what I am changing? :-)

I'd really appreciate the help, as I am obviously an ametuer in the electronics game!!!

Thanks guys,
Look forward to the replies.

Cheers,
Matt
Old Nov 02, 2011, 08:07 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jun 2009
475 Posts
ahoy there!!!! ...seeking answers to above questions :-)