HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2011, 01:03 PM
Navigator
USA, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2010
670 Posts
I have these too, bought two pairs off eBay with bad batteries, the battery only shows 1.5v, but when I plug in a USB cord the blue (charge) going to the battery only reads 1v. I cut the wires and now the blue reads 1.6v, so is my charge controller working? I don't know much about how lipo charge controllers work. I have a Li-ion battery from a nokia phone that looks like it will fit the myvu controller case, will it work in place of the LiPo? It has the 3 leads just like the lipo, P+, P- and charge.

thnilsen, what are you replacing your battery with?

Thanks!
volto is offline Find More Posts by volto
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2011, 03:06 PM
Norway, Hordaland, Os
Joined Nov 2004
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by volto View Post
thnilsen, what are you replacing your battery with?

Thanks!
I managed to get the original battery back to life. I could not get a reading at all via the wires coming of the charge controller on the battery. By removing the tape around the battery I was able to expose the + and - tabs directly from which I got a weak reading. So I charged the battery up with my iCharger using .10mah directly on the battery tabs and it is now working again. If you have an external LIPO charger that can do 1s you should try the same.

I also have a new 1s battery coming from Hobbyking which I hope will be a good replacement when the original battery dies or shows signs of poor capacity.

I guess you could use the Li-ion battery as well, but the charge specs would be different from the Lipo so you might end up damaging the battery when charging via the built in usb. Perhaps you could make the battery external and charge it using a Nokia charger?

- Thomas
thnilsen is offline Find More Posts by thnilsen
Old May 22, 2011, 03:37 PM
Navigator
USA, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2010
670 Posts
Could do that but I think the nokia charging circuit is in the phone. I'll try what you did to revive the existing battery. Now I am regretting cutting the wires, oh well soldering practice =)

Curious what voltage reading did you get directly from the lipo cell leads before reviving it?

Thanks for the help!
Old May 22, 2011, 04:01 PM
northenden, manchester, england
Joined May 2009
1,448 Posts
there seems to be a pattern appearing here, i also had trouble with my battery when i first got my glasses, when i plugged the USB lead into them and then on to the computer the battery would not charge, so bought one of those USB plugs, that you put into the house socket, and this then seemed to start off the charging, and since then i just use the wall socket charger,
carl
doggit is offline Find More Posts by doggit
Old May 22, 2011, 04:12 PM
Norway, Hordaland, Os
Joined Nov 2004
388 Posts
Quote:
Curious what voltage reading did you get directly from the lipo cell leads before reviving it?

Thanks for the help!
The battery read around 2.0v.

Good luck with the soldering.

I think these ebay googles have been left in storage too long and the lipo has just depleted too much. The Myvu company does not exist any more.

- Thomas
Old May 22, 2011, 04:15 PM
Navigator
USA, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2010
670 Posts
Yeah I have been trying to charge via my computer's USB. Maybe I should try my old blackberry charger if i can find it.

When I plug it into the USB the power LED turns orange, and then if i press the power button it turns blue but I still don't get anything on the screen. That begs the question, on a working set do you need video input to see anything in the goggles or do you get a blue screen or anything other than black indicating they are working but have no vid input?

I've got my other one on the LiPo charger right now, at first when I connected it it said LOW VOLTAGE and wouldn't charge it so I jumpered it to one cell of a 3s lipo to get some juice in it, that seemed to work and now the charger is charging it @ 0.1A.
Old May 22, 2011, 04:56 PM
Norway, Hordaland, Os
Joined Nov 2004
388 Posts
Quote:
When I plug it into the USB the power LED turns orange, and then if i press the power button it turns blue but I still don't get anything on the screen. That begs the question, on a working set do you need video input to see anything in the goggles or do you get a blue screen or anything other than black indicating they are working but have no vid input?
You'll need video input to get anything on the screens. Mine behaved the same way. Yellow when charging and turned blue when the button was pressed. As soon as I unplugged the usb cable it would turn off. However, I was not successful in getting anything in the display before the battery was charged.

The power button will blink in blue when there is no video in on it. Mine didn't do that till the battery was charged up.

- Thomas
Old May 22, 2011, 05:19 PM
Navigator
USA, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2010
670 Posts
I see, mine didn't come with composite video cables, only the ipod cable. Although I have several A/V to 3.5mm cables so I guess I will just go through them until one works. Thanks for the info again, very informative.
Old May 22, 2011, 06:23 PM
Navigator
USA, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2010
670 Posts
Charged for 2 hours and soldered it back together, now it works! Image is pretty good, needs to be a little higher on my nose but I plan on putting them in a pair of ski goggles later on anyway. Both sets work with no dead pixels!
Old May 22, 2011, 10:51 PM
Navigator
USA, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2010
670 Posts
Well, after charging the second one for 4 hours, I think I messed it up. The lipo is puffed bad and the unit won't turn on despite it being 3.8v. Hope I didn't damage the unit itself by charging it with the wires still connected. Although I don't know why that would hurt it.

Edit: I spoke too soon, I plugged it into USB on my computer and it turned on.
Old May 22, 2011, 11:07 PM
USA, NY, Yonkers
Joined Aug 2002
1,636 Posts
Does anyone have a pair of these glasses that they want to get rid of? I do not need the controller with the battery, just the glasses.

pc_pilot
pc_pilot is offline Find More Posts by pc_pilot
Old May 23, 2011, 01:27 AM
Navigator
USA, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2010
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc_pilot View Post
Does anyone have a pair of these glasses that they want to get rid of? I do not need the controller with the battery, just the glasses.

pc_pilot
I take it you already have the controller?
Old May 23, 2011, 10:39 AM
USA, NY, Yonkers
Joined Aug 2002
1,636 Posts
Quote:
I take it you already have the controller?
Yes, I have the glasses but the picture on one LCD goes off if I turn my head sometimes. I do like the picture quality on the myvu so if I could get another glasses only it would be great.
pc_pilot is offline Find More Posts by pc_pilot
Old May 23, 2011, 12:42 PM
Navigator
USA, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2010
670 Posts
Bummer. Sounds like a loose connection in the cable somewhere. It would be a royal pain to troubleshoot that based on the amount of pins going to the goggles. I wish they would have just put the "controller" built into the glasses, but I guess they are already a little on the heavy side. Anyway I bought my pairs on eBay, he sells them cheap ($65) because the controller doesn't work, that may be your best option.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 01:00 AM
Joined Jun 2011
3 Posts
Hello there. I'm new to the forum and actually stumbled upon it while desperately searching for any info on / about the myvu crystal battery. I know the battery is a 3.7v 320mah lipo and if charging properly will display a flashing amber ring? The flashing blue ring means no video , solid blue when video input present. When unit is fully charged a solid amber ring is displayed although I've noticed it also if the wrong charger is used.

Question I have is where to find a replacement battery ? I haven't had any luck so resorted to soldering a lith-ion battery from an old blackberry pearl. Actually works fine except can't charge it through the mini USB port.

I've purchased a 3.7 v lipo from the local hobbie store but can't figure out where the blue wire should connect on the battery. Any help much appreciated.
Gixxerdude is offline Find More Posts by Gixxerdude