SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:20 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,958 Posts
Discussion
Stryker for my 2nd ever plane??

Getting over my head fellas? Bought a SuperCub and love it. Ready for more.

Made this thread....http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1409886

A light Stryker might work good for me cause its so windy where i live.

Feel im dexterous with my fingers and have pretty good vision. With time i hope to fly the hell outta these planes.

Should i wait on a flying wing or go for it???
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Last edited by wopachop; Mar 27, 2011 at 11:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:38 AM
United States, NC, Randleman
Joined Jan 2007
168 Posts
I think a light styker is a pretty good choice for a second plane. I might be a little biased because the light stryker thread is mine. I just let my brother fly mine after learning on a supercub. He flew it without crashing several times. I like them because the bodies are widely avalible and cheap. You will crash some but the light styker does not break badly (mostly the nose breaks off) and is easily repaired with low temp hot glue. The styker that I describe in the tread will go from as slow as shown in the video to a little faster than the supercub. If you build one please post about it and message me if you have any questions that I can help you with.
ssteven1 is offline Find More Posts by ssteven1
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:41 AM
Fremont, CA
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jan 2009
1,653 Posts
I've heard that a Stryker will take a lot of abuse, so I don't see any problem with giving it a try.
BTW, your link isn't to a thread; it's to the Electric Planes Forum.
djacob7 is offline Find More Posts by djacob7
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:51 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,958 Posts
Thanks #7 fixed the link

Does Ssteven stand for Saint Steven? Pretty cool grateful dead song.

But hey!!! So the light stryker is just a bit faster than a cub? My stock cub is sloooooow.

My main goal is to have a plane that can do badass loops and rolls and be able to land onto sand. Being able to catch by hand would be even better.

I might have seen your video steven. Was a blueish stryker with music playing in the background? You fly low and then catch it at the end? That was cool man!!!
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:59 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
The Stryker is a great choice for your 2nd plane. It's stable with no bad habits, one of the more durable airframes out there, easy to repair, and cheap (especially in parts replacement). Also, it has a very large performance envelope, flies well fast or slow, so you won't grow out of it easily.

Most Styker flyers prefer to build from parts, but, for a first one, the PnP version isn't a bad way to start. For your first flights, keep it simple and light, double check the CG balance, give it about half throttle and a good straight throw into the wind, and it will fly itself. Be sure to `follow through' with your throw (like a baseball) on a pusher design to keep your fingers .

I have lots of planes, but I always keep a Stryker in the line-up.
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Mar 27, 2011, 01:05 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,958 Posts
Cool man i saw the PNP version. Man those tiger stripe graphics are ugly.

Would prefer to build it myself. Im so new to RC that all the ESC and brushless motor sizes still confuses the EFF outta me.

Still need to buy a radio...thinking Dx6. Would like to buy stryker parts, motor, esc, servos and radio all at the same time.

If anyone has suggestions im all ears. Im sure there are a million threads but sometimes i read so much that in the end my head hurts and i dont remember crap ha!!!
Old Mar 27, 2011, 01:13 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
If you are going to build, I'd suggest you take ssteven1's advice and go with his very light and a fun version. I'm sure he would be happy to help with advice on gear. The DX6i would be a good choice in radios if you are looking.

Here's a link to his thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1155928
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Mar 27, 2011, 01:55 PM
United States, NC, Randleman
Joined Jan 2007
168 Posts
The light stryker with the blue wonder 1500 kv motor will run around 40 mph straight and about 60 in a dive. The stock cub does around 35 straight I think. However if you keep the stryker light it has vertical performance and is much more acrobatic and fun.

Thanks for the link Zaurak3
ssteven1 is offline Find More Posts by ssteven1
Old Mar 27, 2011, 01:58 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,958 Posts
saw another video. catching the plane with your hand is just too cool man!!!