HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2012, 01:27 PM
Have Fun! Land, Sea or Air
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2006
1,358 Posts
Sorry to hear. I bet your heart skipped a beat when you heard that loud bang. Glad your great model was only slightly damaged on the third flight.
jetcaptain is offline Find More Posts by jetcaptain
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:32 PM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
I'd forgotten about this thread till I saw it pop back up on my subscription list. Looked through the build threads for the Super Cruiser and the Silvaire. Great stuff! Makes me wish I had there space to build and fly a larger gas plane. Don't have the desire to mess with glow fuel.
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:19 PM
Native American
Joined May 2010
429 Posts
I am late to the party here but oh boy is that nice Keith. I am always impressed with people that have the focus to complete a superior build like your Cherokee. I learned to fly in a 140 so they are dear to my heart.
BE77 Pilot is online now Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:21 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,430 Posts
Me too Be77....along with two other Piper's...LOVED the 140 when passing over the numbers....nice sound of the prop.....
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 01:54 AM
Newport South Wales
Joined Jul 2008
194 Posts
Have been ready to complete the final test flights foe some time but the weather here is dreadful. This is the worst summer I can remenber.
We plan to take the Cherokee to the European Luscmbs rally next weekend at Oaksea Park and hope to meet up with the full size again.
Keith Pyrah is offline Find More Posts by Keith Pyrah
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:25 AM
Dougie Scale Pilot
Joined Oct 2011
4 Posts
Keith has made some further adjustmens and we were able to fly the Cherokee at our local club field in Wales yesterday.

The good news is that with the flaps linked to some elavator mixing we have now been able to do some scale take offs and landings - just like the full size the model needs at good take off run (at least 75metres) with about 10 to 15 degrees of flap. She lifts off very nicely and settles in to a very scale like climb out.

Landing in almost zero wind requires full flap (40 degrees) with a little down elavator mixed in - she settles in to a very nice approach angle with a little power on - a final flare out and she rolls out it around 50 metres.

All in all yesterday was our best flying day with the Cherokee - took off 3 times and landed 3 times - however, we couldn't start the motor for a second flight - changed the plug, checked fuel and all seemed ok - so it's back to the workshop to see what the problem is.

In summary - she now flies as good as she looks (and she looks superb!). All of Keith's building hours have paid off in a fantastic model which draws massive attention where ever we take it - well done Keith. All we need to do now is sort the motor !
D W Jeffery is offline Find More Posts by D W Jeffery
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:50 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D W Jeffery View Post
In summary - she now flies as good as she looks (and she looks superb!). All of Keith's building hours have paid off in a fantastic model which draws massive attention where ever we take it - well done Keith. All we need to do now is sort the motor !
Indeed!

Thank you for the update, I was wondering and keeping my eye out.

Thanks Keith, for yet another inspiring project! I always learn something along the way.

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:50 PM
Newport South Wales
Joined Jul 2008
194 Posts
the last time we had the model alongside the full size on level ground it was aparent that the full size sits a little more tail down than than the model which changes the angle of attack at take off, I have lengthened the nose leg 3/4" to adjust the model to match. This coupled with the change of incidence has made all the difference to the ease of take off.

We are now very satisfied with the flight characteristics and are looking forward to taking the model to Blackown scale meeting on the 22nd and 23rd Sept.

With respect to the motor problem this was due to tracking from the junction of the HT lead to the coil and earthing against the carb bend. I have repositioned the coil and angled it away from the carb bend. We are not prepared to risk this unit andd have ordered a replacement. We have also decided to fit new piston rings in the engine to improve the compression.

One of our cub members took some video of the last flight at our field and he says he will post it on utube, When he does I will post the link on the forum.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:57 PM
Slaton, TX
Joined Oct 2008
735 Posts
Great to hear from you Keith!! Looking forward to the video. Soooooo what might we expect to see for your next project?

Trey
supercubman is offline Find More Posts by supercubman
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:32 PM
Newport South Wales
Joined Jul 2008
194 Posts
Hi Trey
Great to hear from you too.
We have not decided yet on the next project. Doug is having some flying lessons at the moment so in the not too distant future we may be building a full size!!!

What are you building at the moment?

Keith
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:06 PM
Slaton, TX
Joined Oct 2008
735 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=beaver

Trey
supercubman is offline Find More Posts by supercubman
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:52 AM
Lichfield, England
Joined Jun 2009
49 Posts
Great to catch up with you yesterday at Ashbourne Keith. That is a stunning aircraft, the pictures really don't do it justice.

Cheers
Danny
septic is offline Find More Posts by septic
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:05 AM
Newport South Wales
Joined Jul 2008
194 Posts
Alex Whittaker was at Ashbourne and has written a four page atricle published in January edition of RCM&E Magazine
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:59 AM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,253 Posts
This beautiful model continues to blow me away every time I look at it. Danged if I wouldn't get in that baby and fly it.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:11 PM
Dougie Scale Pilot
Joined Oct 2011
4 Posts
RCM&E Article January 2013 Edition

Hi Guys - sorry that the pages are not as clear as one would like but here are the 4 pages from RCM&E

Enjoy

Wishing everyone a Happy and Peaceful New Year
D W Jeffery is offline Find More Posts by D W Jeffery