Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:57 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,230 Posts
Kieth, as usual, I'm speechless. Beautiful craftsmanship.

If I may ask, how many years have you been modeling?

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:05 PM
Newport South Wales
Joined Jul 2008
194 Posts
Hi EJ
As a youth I was very much into aeromodelling with rubber, gliders and control line stuff but gave it up when other interests took over around 1952( girls etc etc).
I served an aprenticeship as an engineering pattern maker which is where most of my skills were honed.
I did not start modelling again until I made a glider for my grandson in 2000. He did not show much sustained interest but at that time a golfing friend gave me an Ugly Stick airframe. I bought some radio gear and an engine and joined the local model club and I was off again.
I have since then built around a dozen models including Top flight Giant scale kits of the Cessna Skylane and Stinson Reliant.
Over the last 5 or 6 years I have scratch built :-
Cessna 182 Skylane third scale
Piper Super Cruiser third scale
Luscombe Sylvaire 37%
And the present Cherokee at third scale.
I have been fortunate to fly in the Cessna and actually twiddle the sticks of the Luscombe and the Cherokee, unfortunately not the Super Cruiser since that full size is in Texas
Doug my modelling buddy mainly funds the material costs and helps along the way a little with the building, he is dab hand with a spray gun and has many contacts for many usefull things.
He had a custom built trailer made with which we can if we wish get all 4 large models in.
Keith Pyrah is offline Find More Posts by Keith Pyrah
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:31 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,230 Posts
Thanks for the reply Keith. And thanks for sharing your craftsmanship. It is indeed inspiring.

EJWash
Old Apr 30, 2012, 03:29 PM
Have Fun! Land, Sea or Air
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2006
1,354 Posts
I wish I could be there to see it in person. What a fantastic scale plane!
jetcaptain is offline Find More Posts by jetcaptain
Old May 14, 2012, 01:42 AM
Newport South Wales
Joined Jul 2008
194 Posts
Still waiting for canopy vac forming and sheet so I have made a few more scale bits to be fixed on the fuz after a coat of suitable paint.
Old May 14, 2012, 08:25 AM
Builders Cult Member
Montreal, Qc
Joined Jan 2007
242 Posts
Can you share what materials/techniques you used to make these items?
mamethot is offline Find More Posts by mamethot
Old May 15, 2012, 12:38 AM
Newport South Wales
Joined Jul 2008
194 Posts
Hi Mamethot
Nothing special about construction Most items are based o a 1/16" plywood shape with added balsa where needed to carve the required shape.Fuel caps are turned from 1.8" ply with 1/8" ply crossbars and have a dowel behind that fits into a hole in the wing. The arials are lengths of small bore nylon tube cut from an inner control snake.

Keith
Old May 16, 2012, 05:23 PM
Newport South Wales
Joined Jul 2008
194 Posts
The new canopy vac formings came yesterday from Saric together with some 0.5 mm sheet for the side glazing. Side window glazing was completed last evening and today I fitted the interior widow trims.
This evening the canopy glazing was completed and we can now proceed to start assembly of the model ready for maiden.
Old May 16, 2012, 05:38 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,161 Posts
WoW !.. really nice Keith your work is second to none hope she flies very nice for you WELL DONE!!

Bruce
splinterz25 is online now Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old May 17, 2012, 12:11 PM
Have Fun! Land, Sea or Air
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2006
1,354 Posts
Those formings are superb! Can't wait to see this beautiful bird fly. You guys are true craftsman.
jetcaptain is offline Find More Posts by jetcaptain
Old May 18, 2012, 12:23 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,505 Posts
GEEZ!!! I wish my full sized Cherokee looked THAT good !

Very nice !

Bob
Northwest Cutout service
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old May 20, 2012, 08:13 PM
Newport South Wales
Joined Jul 2008
194 Posts
We assembled the model on Friday in my lounge because it was raining outside and due to my flood the lounge was almost empty waiting for a new carpet. I was not able to complete the wingtip lighting or asssemble the various arials etc on the cabin roof.
We took beryl to Charleton Park on Sunday to carry out taxi and engine run trials because there is a very long grass strip for full size aircraft.
Taxi trials were great and we had a lift off to about 20 feet which indicated that she will be very stable. After that test when checking various things the throttle servo failed, very fortunate she was on the ground.
Later in the day James flew in with the full size and we were able to do a photo shoot with the two together.
Old May 20, 2012, 09:06 PM
Los Angeles, Ca.
Joined Jun 2010
328 Posts
Speechless...

Truly breathtaking.

It sounds like you had a "lil' maiden" already. I do though, wish you the very best on the proper one and many happy flights afterward.

Cheers,

Sperling
Sperling234 is online now Find More Posts by Sperling234
Old May 20, 2012, 09:25 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,230 Posts
Congrats on the tests and the (irresistible?) short flight.

A great presentation Keith, Sister ships to be sure!

EJWash