HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2011, 01:52 AM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
Discussion
Nano Tech 4000mah 45c 4s smashed

Put this in a pulse25 today and wing ripped off in flight and plane dived in. Batt was crunched but no smoke or swelling. I am not dumb to the lipo cautions but i actually flattened it out over a 5hr period, re attached the 1 balance plug lead that ripped off and it was still showing 4v per cell with an un balanced voltage of 9 between all cells. I have now recharged it and everything is like a normal batt. Is this not an odd thing for a lipo? This thing appears that it wants to keep on going. No leaks or anything that would normally come from a batt that just hit the dirt at 80+MPH.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2011, 02:09 AM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewiens View Post
Put this in a pulse25 today and wing ripped off in flight and plane dived in. Batt was crunched but no smoke or swelling. I am not dumb to the lipo cautions but i actually flattened it out over a 5hr period, re attached the 1 balance plug lead that ripped off and it was still showing 4v per cell with an un balanced voltage of 9 between all cells. I have now recharged it and everything is like a normal batt. Is this not an odd thing for a lipo? This thing appears that it wants to keep on going. No leaks or anything that would normally come from a batt that just hit the dirt at 80+MPH.
4000 mah 4S would make some nice firework. I'm speechless...I won't even say anything else.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Mar 27, 2011, 02:13 AM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
Yup! I know what your sayin. Going to do just a tad of static testing before it goes up in the air again. Fun to break the rules though if it turns out to be fine. What the heck, i'll be the guinny pig.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 08:05 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,834 Posts
IMO you should have discharged it to zero and put it out of its' misery.

I have read of children doing such things with LiPolys but I do not exspect children to be as responcible as adults.

You are placing everyone and everything around you at risk.

How fragile is a LiPoly?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...13&postcount=1

Snip:

Quote:
The other accelerator is the presence of "hangar rash" on the cells due to continuous handling and ding marks that cause salt crystals to start forming at pressure points. This is the primary reason for using IMPAD around packs to protect against impact. In other words, avoid the temptation to scrape a thumbnail over that envelope to see if it springs back!
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Mar 27, 2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:43 AM
www.gravityhobby.net
Joined Mar 2011
3 Posts
Hi everydayflyer,

Can I consult you on Nano Tech battery? How about this battery. What's the difference between nano tech battery and normal battery. I consult you because I think you may test it. I read your many posts and know that you are familiar with the battery.
simbahong is offline Find More Posts by simbahong
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:06 AM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
These batts seem to put out alot more power than regular ones. In the plane i had it in i could tell the climb rate was much better. Not much decrease in overall power during flight until the end either.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 06:45 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
your brave. i've had batteries that suffered much less damage that that catch fire in my hand after what seemed like a bump. i had time to chuck it and move away from the smoke.

each to their own.

btw, have you ever had a lipo catch fire before.?
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer