HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:03 PM
Suspended Account
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2004
260 Posts
Discussion
5.8ghz 200mw on Blade 120 SR - pics

Here is my first FPV project, it's 5.8ghz gear on a Blade 120 SR. I've been reading up for a long time and getting very excited as it's coming together!

I'm using fpvhobby.com's 200mw 5.8ghz system along with a KX-1 micro camera. I'm powering it off a 120mah stock mSR battery. I'm not sure how long the tx and camera will run off it but I've also got a 110mah mCX battery .

Here is how I'm positioning the antenna. I placed it low and vertical on the nose with the theory that if I start to lose video signal I can spin back towards my ground station and have better reception.

If anyone has any suggestions on the antenna mouting please let me know! I haven't done any range testing yet cuz I'm waiting on a portible TV that should arrive Mon or Tues.

I braced the antenna with balsa and CA because it is too weak only being held on by a spot of solder. Balsa doesn't block the signal much does it? I've only been able to test with my TV in my apartment and at least at close range the signal is the same.

I may have overbuilt the frame, but I'm prone to crashes and the 120 doesn't mind the weight much at all. I'll be doing a few mods and getting some better batteries in the hope of increasing power and run-time, along with stability.

Moving the flight battery an inch or so backwards keeps the cog near stock and it hovers and flies great!

I'm going to experiment with moving the camera up towards the top of the canopy, in conjunction with a wide-angle lens it might provide a great reference point.

The frame is also easily removable, only leaving the battery mount and velcro on the 120.

I'll hopefully start flying via FPV this coming week after doing some testing. I'll be using a 7" LCD TV, but I'm looking for some goggles.

Thanks for looking and if you have any advice please let me know!
Vitamin_J is offline Find More Posts by Vitamin_J
Last edited by Vitamin_J; Mar 27, 2011 at 04:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2011, 11:33 PM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
2,052 Posts
Very cool! I have always wanted to FPV a 120. Balsa won't block your signal enough to notice. You may have problems with noise in your video because of voltage ripple caused by sharing the flight battery for the camera/vtx. If you do, you can build a simple filter to solve it. Just search "Sander style filter" on this forum and you'll find it. Have you tested the 7 inch LCD to verify it doesn't go to BSOD on static? Some LCDs do not tolerate any noise...
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:25 AM
Suspended Account
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2004
260 Posts
Good news on the balsa!

I'm running the vtx and camera off a separate small battery instead of the big flight pack.

Haven't tested the TV yet, but I'm pretty sure it plays static, otherwise I'll rig something up, the price was too good to pass up. I need a DVR anyway and I understand there are a few I can run in between the TV and rx to stop the blue screen.
Vitamin_J is offline Find More Posts by Vitamin_J