HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2003, 05:28 PM
Boulder Municipal, Colorado, United States
Joined Sep 2001
242 Posts
Please Help! Slow Stick Problem with JR radios

Anyone else experience a problem with the motor cutting out when using a JR radio?
Setup:
JR Quatro Lite with an MPI 8A ESC, and 7C 720MaH pack
The motor cuts out, like the ESC is kicking in. If I remove all the equipment from the plane, the motor run time is normal. I've replaced all components, including another Quattro Lite, and an older JR radio, a 7C 500MaH nicad, a GWS 15A, and Castle Creations 35A ESC, all resulting in the motor cuts out if the setup is installed in the plane. Take it off the plane, run time is normal.
Setup #2:
Hitec Laser 4 with the same MPI ESC and 720MaH pack
Motor run time is normal.
QUESTION? Can the metal tube of the Slow Stick be interferring with the negative shift of the JR Radio?
Or, any other ideas?
iflyelectric is offline Find More Posts by iflyelectric
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2003, 06:17 PM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
okay first off JR is positive shift as is GWS and airtronics

futaba and hitec are neg.

i have an SS and quattro lite that i fly all the time with no problem

8 amp esc is a little low (actually minimum) for the SS motor and 10 amp would be better.

but if you have the same problem with the gws 400 esc....you may have a faulty/ funny RX. or your trying to run a neg shift rx with a pos shift tx

Chuck
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
Old Aug 11, 2003, 07:30 PM
Random Flier
Oxford (UK) and Mtn View CA (USA)
Joined Nov 2002
1,400 Posts
Sounds like the proverbial "loose connection".

Quote:
The motor cuts out, like the ESC is kicking in
When? Randomly? At full throttle? On the ground or in flight?
Quote:
If I remove all the equipment from the plane, the motor run time is normal.
What "equipment"? Receiver? ESC? Battery? Wings?
Quote:
I've replaced all components, including another (TX), (ESC), all resulting in the motor cuts out if the setup is installed in the plane
So the receiver works to your satisfaction and is not overloading the ESC? If you wire up the flight pack to your work surface, motor in a vise/vice etc, it all works OK there? If so, it could be some kind of interference problem...

FWIW: I use JR radio (TX + RX) on a Slowstick very happily. Its probably one of those annoying-but-simple problems - I have those often!
isvana is offline Find More Posts by isvana
Old Aug 12, 2003, 08:32 AM
Florida
Joined Aug 2003
21 Posts
I had the same problem with my Slow Stick. Changed ESC, swapped out radio, batteries also but no luck. Then while I was duplicating the problem on the bench I noticed that if I touched the metal fuselage of the SS the servo jittering and cutouts stopped. After some experimenting I think I have a fix. I soldered a small piece of wire to the motor case and then soldered (I used a small screw to secure) to the fuselage.

The problem seems to be fixed!

I'm not sure what's going here but this seems to point at the noisy (RF speaking) stock motor and the metal fuselage somehow generate or amplify inteference. Anyway give it a try and see. Good Luck
lascelles is offline Find More Posts by lascelles