Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 11, 2003, 04:56 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2003
30 Posts
Glue, tape, epoxy

The kit for my GWS Cub should be here tomorrow, just wondering if there are any construction materials i will need that wont be in the kit, i have heard some stories about the glue and tape supplied not being too good and people using epoxy (5 min stuff). Any ideas as i can pick the bits up from the hobby store on the way home.
StHazza is offline Find More Posts by StHazza
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2003, 09:17 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Yep....5 or 6 minute epoxy. Get some clear 3M or Scotch Brand
packing tape. I have never used the glue that comes with
GWS arfs. I always use epoxy. Also, Probond is fantastic in that
it expands as it sets up. But the cure time is alot longer than epoxy.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Aug 12, 2003, 10:06 AM
England
Joined Apr 2002
240 Posts
I think the GWS glue is good enough for the most part...Takes a good time to cure though so got to be patiant...epoxy is good for high stress parts i.e. landing gear instalation,controll horn fitting .e.t.c The worry with using epoxy for everything is the weight , epoxy is heavy and if you use it for the complete build you will have a flying brick ! electric flight, specialy light weight planes like the cub work so well because they are very light,the lighter it is the better it will perform....try to remember this when building...the cub is a docile plane so epoxy is overkill....
have fun building, the cub is an easy build....
jeddy11 is offline Find More Posts by jeddy11
Old Aug 12, 2003, 11:20 AM
Joined Jul 2002
1,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jeddy11
The worry with using epoxy for everything is the weight , epoxy is heavy and if you use it for the complete build you will have a flying brick
I disagree. The weight of a tube of GWS contact cement=1 oz.: The weight of similar size epoxy tubes=1.1oz.. It's not so much what you use, it's how much. Just use whatever you choose sparingly and you'll be okay. -thumbs
fumblethumbs is offline Find More Posts by fumblethumbs
Old Aug 12, 2003, 12:23 PM
England
Joined Apr 2002
240 Posts
.1 of an oz adds up !!! I still say if you use a thin layer of gws glue to , say stick the fuse together, it will be a lot lighter than if you have used epoxy....the consistancy of the gws glue is thiner where the epoxy is thick. so weighing tubes i think is misleading like the question "which weighs more , a ton of feathers or a ton of lead ?" the gws glue when dry is very light....so if you have 1 oz tube of gws and 1 oz tube of epxoy the gws glue would spread futher....see ?
my take on it anyways....
james
Last edited by jeddy11; Aug 12, 2003 at 12:29 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 02:39 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,155 Posts
Sorry jeddy11, but when I see someone imply that the use of epoxy throughout a build will result in "a flying brick", I must respond in a similar vein, hence my impromptu experiment. While decidedly non-scientific, it does serve to indicate that epoxy is not the evil "lead in a tube" it is sometimes made out to be. Perhaps the more accurate approach would be to compare weights of the adhesives we use in this hobby A) by volume in the liquid state, then B) After fully curing. No doubt epoxy will be among the heaviest at point B due to almost no loss of evaporated solvents/thinners, etc., but that's no reason to decline to use it for a build, just use it sparingly. -thumbs
fumblethumbs is offline Find More Posts by fumblethumbs
Old Aug 12, 2003, 03:10 PM
Now with more COWBELL!
Lexington, KY, USA
Joined Mar 2001
804 Posts
If you want to go lighter than epoxy, but more predictable than the GWS stuff, just use Elmer's. The cheap, white, cleans-with-water stuff. While slower than everything, it's as strong as anything on foam, balsa or lite-ply, and most of its weight goes away as it dries.
U2Steve is offline Find More Posts by U2Steve
Old Aug 12, 2003, 04:11 PM
England
Joined Apr 2002
240 Posts
thats ok fumblethumbs , i see where your coming from..when i said brick i was only emphasizing that for someone who hasn't built a plane before, specially the cub , that too much epoxy is bad.when i broke my first plane i covered it in epoxy and hence it never flew again...I use epoxy a lot on my builds so i wouldn't knock it, just underlining the point that it is best used sparingly...and with experience you learn where to use it....
we got there in the end....
Old Aug 12, 2003, 05:26 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,539 Posts
exacto 11 or double edge razor blades, alcohol (this works to clean up epoxy messes before they harden and to sterilize your finger when you slip with the knife or the razor blades), 1/16 drill (handy to have), light sandpaper (you always need sandpaper), some clear 3/4 inch packing tape if you need it for anything, a straight edge, a square, coffee, sugar, cream, cookies, ice cream, sandwiches, no-doz, etc.

You may want to go ahead and order another motor and a spare prop (at least one). The plane you can fix, the motor doesn't repair so easily.

Have Fun,
LcJ
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad