HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by FLAME747, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 08:13 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post
I tried my best to explain the Z-Poxy / heat gun method - awaiting my Grade
Only thing stopping you from an A+ ..........................

How much stiffer are the wings when you try to flex them (like when you are in a dive and pull back on the stick to level out)
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2011, 08:40 AM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Holding the plane from the rear, and flexing the wings upwards - I did get some flex, not much, but some - surprised since I also have an arrow shaft thats almost running the entire length of the wing.

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Apr 04, 2011, 08:46 AM
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
BTW - New FJ Utlra MEGA mount coming our way, cooling holes cut to match the Mega.

Terry's website should be updated soon http://www.smallpartscnc.com/rcmain.html

FCA

BTW: Made some modifications to the mount, this is the version that will go into production

Last edited by FLAME747; Apr 08, 2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 10:25 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post
Holding the plane from the rear, and flexing the wings upwards - I did get some flex, not much, but some - surprised since I also have an arrow shaft thats almost running the entire length of the wing.

FCA
How much stiffer is the entire wing compared to just epoxy compared to epoxy/heat treatment ?
Old Apr 04, 2011, 11:34 AM
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,381 Posts
Those mountsook awsome!
rimripper is offline Find More Posts by rimripper
Old Apr 04, 2011, 11:55 AM
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
How much stiffer is the entire wing compared to just epoxy compared to epoxy/heat treatment ?
When I try to flex an individual section of the wing, or even the vertical fins they are super stiff, no flex what so ever.

The strength/stiffness of Z-poxy / heat treated foam is a lot stronger than unthreaded foam, No comparison Period.

I am now a Believer

BTW: I will be putting together another FJ Utlra sometime this week, It will also be treaded, I will go easy with the heat gun this time.

Q: Is it best to apply a light even or slightly thicker coat of Z-Poxy before applying heat.

Thanks,

FCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimripper View Post
Those mountsook awsome!

Yeah - The Mega needed it's own mount

FCA
Old Apr 04, 2011, 12:13 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,892 Posts
Easiest way is to paint on a light coat and heat untill you just see the outline of the kernals. If you put a heavier coat on, you will need to heat longer, untill the foam absorbs everything. They key to keeping a smoothe finish is to pull the heat gun back or away a few inches from the foam as soon as you see the outline, and keep it moving, wagging back and forth quickly, untill all of the epoxy is absorbed. If you keep the heat gun close, the foam "pops" like you had happen. You need a feel for it, you want enough heat so the epoxy fully absorbs, but NOT too much heat (gun too close) so that the kernals "pop" up on you. Light wisps of smoke is the most you should see, definately not easily seen smoke shows. The more epoxy you use, the stronger it will be IF you get it to absorb. As you get real good at using the heat, you wont need to topcoat unless you wish to protect the paint job.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 01:06 AM
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Installed and centered the HS-5065MG, going with 4-40 rods this time, still need to trim the rods.

Took a bit longer to install the servos, because someone got Z-Poxy into the channels for the servo wire

Examined the fuse today, holding it up to the light, and looking at various angles, I could see the areas where the Z-Poxy was even and smooth, and where it's a bit bumpy because to much heat was applied.

Overall I would say 40% of the surface is perfectly smooth, the other 60% is a bit bumpy - but overall strength is excellent.

And that's a good thing for a rookie, pilot who thinks he's Mavrick

Not to concerned about drag at this point, this fuse will not be breaking any speed records.

Also Started FJ# 3, will have the same arrow shaft layout, also removed the ridge around the nose area, simply cut it off, will sand it down tomorrow.

FCA
Old Apr 06, 2011, 07:06 AM
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,381 Posts
Do you have the turnbuckle on in that pick?
Old Apr 06, 2011, 08:39 AM
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimripper View Post
Do you have the turnbuckle on in that pick?
Yeah installed - Sorry for the crap pic's, need to get another camera, the Case Worker confiscated my last one

FCA

BTW: On FJ#3 I am going to install a co-pilot II, No secret that I am not a good pilot, still a green rookie

Wonder which motor I will use, Got to check the Black Ops inventory

Pointless in crashing good gear.

FCA

Mopar – Any benefit in heat treating the inside of the fuse?
Last edited by FLAME747; Apr 06, 2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old Apr 07, 2011, 01:15 AM
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Did a Static prop test
Mega 16/30/2,5RCE
APC 6.5x2.9
XPS 6S 2500mAh 65-90C

Here is the graph

Last edited by FLAME747; Apr 07, 2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old Apr 08, 2011, 08:00 AM
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,381 Posts
UI think you should be able to jump the pitch up to 5,then run another short static,or if you have a 5.54.5,maybe the 4.5 first.
Old Apr 08, 2011, 08:52 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,892 Posts
I agree with Rim, emphasis on SHORTER static test. (3 seconds MAX)

Definately run the 6.5x5 test first and post up the data, we will see how much current is necessary for the 5 pitch before any other props are tested (I would expect somewhere between 15-20 additional amps). Safe to fly the 6.5x5 for 5-10 second full throttle straight and level if possible so we can really get a good feel for power levels, that small pitch 6.5x2.9 prop is decieving from all of my tests.
Baseline the 6.5x5 if you can, and please STOP doing full throttle static tests for anything longer than 3 seconds
Old Apr 08, 2011, 08:58 AM
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Thanks guys - I will run some more prop test later tonight, 3 sec max
Lately I have not had much time, kinda being pulled in different directions all at once, and to many projects going on.

FCA
Old Apr 08, 2011, 09:47 PM
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
APC 6x4

APC 6x5.5E

APC 6.5x6