HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by FLAME747, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:50 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,828 Posts
Hi Flame,

Your Funjet looks really nice.

I like how you paid attention to details many others miss.

With Mopar and other friends giving you their best tips and best suggestions, it would be hard to go wrong.

Now if you get some truly custom motors in there, well......the unique factor would be off the hook.

Rimripper, Mopar, your other friends and I wish you our very best.

Good luck Flame,

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:51 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
HS5085MG's is the next higher strength servo to run, although I believe that if you set up the 5065MG correctly, you will be just fine at 200mph with them.

Slight trimming will be needed for the 85's to drop in place
So the HS5065MG would be just fine at 200MPH, that would be awesome, if I could launch without crashing

Typically I roughen the inside the servo cut out with sandpaper, then apply hot glue, both on the inside of the cutout and on top of the servo along the edge

I have some JR DS285mg servos I pulled from a Trex 450, the Torque is 17 oz-in @ 4.8V, & 19 oz-in @ 6V, would these be good enough for a 3S setup

Thanks,

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:58 PM
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
Hi Flame,

Your Funjet looks really nice.

I like how you paid attention to details many others miss.

With Mopar and other friends giving you their best tips and best suggestions, it would be hard to go wrong.

Now if you get some truly custom motors in there, well......the unique factor would be off the hook.

Rimripper, Mopar, your other friends and I wish you our very best.

Good luck Flame,

Gryphon
Thanks alot Gyrphon, - Yeah my Stryker buddies have been helping me out, lately I've been doing more building than flying, hopefully with Mopar's heat gun/Z-poxy method - My FJ will just bounce back into the air when I crash

I will probably put my 16/30 in this fuse, but need to get my launch technique
down first.

FCA
Old Mar 30, 2011, 12:11 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,828 Posts
FYI:

There has been multiple reports of 8" APC E props making contact with ground at full throttle on MEGA 5mm Combat shafts with no damage.

Well no damage to the shafts or motor, but the props were severely damaged.

I will not mention any names like Mopar and myself but you can guess.

Seriously though: if you manage to bend a MEGA 5mm shaft (which I seriously doubt) between now and end of April (next month), I will send you a MEGA motor to play with till you get your 5mm shaft repaired.

Go have fun,

Gryphon
Old Mar 30, 2011, 12:46 AM
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Sounds like a challenge

No serious - I hope you guys don't think I am going overboard with trying to strengthen the fuse.

But all of the guidance i've received from everyone is welcomed, and hopefully someday I will be able to help others.

Thanks again guys,

FCA
Old Mar 30, 2011, 06:17 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post
1. So I don't have to wait 48hrs before adding the 2nd coat

2. Since I already painted one side of the elevons, and its dry, if I reapply z-poxy and apply heat will it still pop?
1. No, no .............
Wait the 48 hours for the top to cure, then do the bottom, wait 48 hours, then you can do the whole 2nd coat at one time and hang to cure

2. Just epoxt the other side and heat, let cure 48 hours, then second coat. You can NOT "pop" after epoxy has cured. The key is to get the liquid epoxy to "sink in" or be absorbed into the foam. Remember, its best to just get the kernals outlined, not round ball popped. You should just start to see wisps of smoke, not big puffs of it.

The whole idea of epoxy and heating is the stiffness added for flight. If you are gunna crash a heavy, it will probably be destroyed no matter what prep you do. The crash will shatter wherever the impact area is, and usually leave the rest of the fuse in good shape, like the first pic
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Last edited by moparmyway; Mar 30, 2011 at 06:29 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 06:40 AM
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,462 Posts
Is popcorn no longer with us Mopar??
rimripper is offline Find More Posts by rimripper
Old Mar 30, 2011, 06:44 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimripper View Post
Is popcorn no longer with us Mopar??
Ummmm,
She still sits atop of that TV in the picture, just as you see her. So she is still with us, just not in any shape to get up and run.

Sooner or later I will gut the electronics (believe it or not, the servos are still smoothe and work fine) and elevons and then throw Popcorn away, but I havent felt like it yet, and I certainly dont have the time to build another one now, maybe one day in the future.

My pile needing to go to the Czech grows bigger.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 07:11 AM
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,462 Posts
Jeezzz,sorry for the loss,Popcorn provided some great times for you.Things are looking good around here,temps are up and the snow is melting.Ill be getting the stryker resined up in a few days,do you recomend high heat setting with fast movment or low setting with slower travel to control the heat better?
Flame,so you are putting the Mega 16/30 in the green monster?
Oh I love the colour dude!
Old Mar 30, 2011, 07:12 AM
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,462 Posts
Jeezzz,sorry for the loss,Popcorn provided some great times for you.Things are looking good around here,temps are up and the snow is melting.Ill be getting the stryker resined up in a few days,do you recomend high heat setting with fast movment or low setting with slower travel to control the heat better?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 07:18 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimripper View Post
You really need to get a feel for it on your own. Do you have a crashed fuse to practice on ??

The key is to make sure that you keep the heat moving, and look for the outline of each kernal to show, watch the resin get sucked in, then you are good. I pull the gun back about 4 inches after the lines show so the epoxy still absorbs, but the kernals wont "POP" so much.

If you plan on giving a second coat of epoxy, you could go a little more, not quite as much as flames Hulk, but somewhere in between. Popcorns kernals got a little hot, it looks like the Hulk got even hotter, you want slightly less than Popcorn showed.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 08:59 AM
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Sorry About Popcorn dude, in time Popcorn # 2 will come

I must say I did go a bit crazy with the heat gun, oh well trial & error, I have 2 new FJ ultra that I need to build so I will refine my technique.

Also looking back I don't think my previous attempts on the strykers were successful, don't think the hair dryer got the job done, did not see any white smoke.

Speaking of Strykers - Maybe I will work on mines this weekend, just need to finish up the glassing of the middle section.

FCA
Old Mar 30, 2011, 04:20 PM
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Mopar Ė Iíve decided to move up to 4S, gonna get some 4S 3000mAh 40C or larger packs from HobbyKing USA warehouse. To push the new Six Series thatís inbound.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 04:50 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,983 Posts
Make sure to run a full size heatsink and do NOT go past a 6x4 sport prop
Old Mar 30, 2011, 05:12 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,828 Posts
Wasting your time with that six series motor "given" your other motors.

One of the only few/valid reasons for doing it: to collect data.

I assume the motor that you sent to our common Internet friend will be back in your hands before long.

As long as you are having fun; Go for it.... Six series all the way.

Gryphon