HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by FLAME747, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 06:14 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Build Log
My FunJet Ultra and Stuff

Ok decided to start a blog on my FJ Ultra build - these pics are of the one I am currently building, trying to make it as strong as possible to take abuse from newbie pilot

Most of the mod's are from other people, and a few I'm trying out like the enlarged cooling holes by the nose and motor, gets real hot here in the summer, don't want to fry my electronics or motor.

Used .310" arrow shaft to add some strength to the fuse and wing. Thanks RimRipper

Enlarged the cooling hole in front, to allow more air to flow thru the fuse, should keep things nice & cool, hoping it has no negative effect on flight performance

Added 2 10" CF rods on the side of the battery bay, should help to strengthen this area, also in the middle I used a smaller piece of arrow shaft to secure the battery straps.

I installed the RX into the right wing, this allows for the center to have less clutter, so air can better flow thru the fuse - Thanks Mopar

Installed robart hinges on the elevons, nice and strong, next time I will also fiberglass the elevons - Thanks again Mopar

Sanded some foam from the inside of the fuse to allow my motor and heat sink to fit properly, I then applied 2 layers of medium fiberglass cloth to strenghten the area, and will also add some CF tape around the lip, prior to installing the motor mount

Also note that I cut some foam from the turtle deck, hoping it will aid in keeping the motor cool - fingers crossed on this one

Added a BBQ skewer to each fin, hoping to gain some strength, and make the fin rigid, also filled in the hole on the side with lite filler, and will paint it with Z-poxy

Trying to build this FJ as strong as Possible, painted the fuse with Z-Poxy and broke out the heat gun, looks like the resin absorbed properly, but need to wait 48hrs before I can handle the fuse...Thanks Mopar - will let you know how it turned out

Feel free to provide feedback.

Thanks,

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Last edited by FLAME747; Nov 30, 2012 at 06:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2011, 06:37 PM
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
I managed to repair FJ # 1 after plowing it, not once but twice into the ground Even with the arrow shaft I managed to break the nose off

Love those 4G negative dives - PULL UP, PULL UP!!!!

So it will live for a few more flights, this is a 3S setup with an E-Flight Six Series 2700Kv motor, ICE 100, and 6.3x4 APC

Old Mar 26, 2011, 08:24 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post
I managed to repair FJ # 1 after plowing it, not once but twice into the ground Even with the arrow shaft I managed to break the nose off

Love those 4G negative dives - PULL UP, PULL UP!!!!

So it will live for a few more flights, this is a 3S setup with an E-Flight Six Series 2700Kv motor, ICE 100, and 6.3x4 APC
Would you please post an ICE graph of your next flight ??
Nice hinges, I say hit that 6 series with a 4 cell and a 6x4 Sport and post that graph and video for a doppler !!!!! (After your all trimmed )

Have you got a heatsink on the motor when its installed in the fuse ??

More picts with better detailed shots of the particulars would be AWESOME Dude !!!
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Mar 26, 2011, 09:03 PM
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Hey Mopar - Thanks for the 1st reply on my blog

FJ # 1 - has a heat sink installed, the MPI heatsink is a perfect fit length wise for the six series. ESC is an ICE 100

Will post actual flight data - as soon as possible

Since you mentioned the heat sink, I need to know are all heat sink paste equal, I got my paste from Horizon hobby.

Will try to take better pics, don't have any 4S packs, but might upgrade to 4S.

On FJ# 1 I am using HS-5065MG servos, just like I've used in my stryker builds, but wondering what's the next larger size servo I can move up to that will be a drop in fit, those will be for FJ#2

The Jury is still out on what ESC and motor I will use on FJ# 2 - Still doing research, all depends on which direction I go.

Thanks,

FCA
Old Mar 26, 2011, 09:11 PM
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,385 Posts
Hey nice builds Flame!!!Those big air ducts should really help keep things cool inside!!
Are you going to seal the gap up on the hinged fuse?
Your getting some GREAT building skills!!I cant wait for the video also,good luck on the maiden with the 6 series,Im sure it will produce some good speed.
rimripper is offline Find More Posts by rimripper
Old Mar 26, 2011, 09:58 PM
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Thanks RimRipper - I already closed the hinge line with packing tape, thats an old pic.

Forgot to mention I used 3/4oz fiberglass cloth over the nose area, to protect the enlarged air intake.

I am hoping it keep things nice and cool, I post feedback once I know for sure it's a worthwhile mod.

FCA
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:08 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,893 Posts
HS5085MG's is the next higher strength servo to run, although I believe that if you set up the 5065MG correctly, you will be just fine at 200mph with them.

Slight trimming will be needed for the 85's to drop in place
Old Mar 29, 2011, 06:30 AM
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,385 Posts
I like the green hard lizzard skin,did the the foam absorb the z poxy and kernal up?
Old Mar 29, 2011, 06:51 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,893 Posts
Looks like it definately took, after the 48 hours, can you lay another thin coat of z-poxy over it to really stiffen and slicken her up ??

Looks like the kernals are very outlined, maybe a little too much. I found that getting just the outline of the kernals keeps things slick enough not to add excess drag. The second coat of z-poxy will help make it more slippery in the air.

After curing, I am VERY eager to hear how stiff you think she has become, especially with the additional coating of epoxy. Did you do the elevons as well ??

Is than an Ultra, or a regular FJ ??
Old Mar 29, 2011, 03:42 PM
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Sure I will keep you informed on how it turns out, So far I did the bottom section of the fuse, canopy, turtle deck, & verticals. Lotís of magical white smoke

As for the elevons I did not apply heat, I just painted it with a coat of Z-Poxy.

Once I complete the top section and itís fully cured, I will go back and apply a thin layer of Z-Poxy to both sides, or is it best to complete 1 section at a time

FCA
Old Mar 29, 2011, 08:34 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,893 Posts
DANG
Those elevons would have LOVED to get some heat after epoxy. The second coat can be all at once, just hang her to cure
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:09 PM
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
So I don't have to wait 48hrs before adding the 2nd coat

I will do the top part maybe tomorrow, and also heat the elevons.

Since I already painted one side of the elevons, and its dry, if I reapply z-poxy and apply heat will it still pop?

Thanks,

FCA
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:15 PM
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,385 Posts
Its looking really good Flame!!Ill be adding heat to the stryker fuse in a few days.You have 1 of a kind FJ on your hands!!
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:24 PM
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Thanks mate, you see what happens when you give em a heat gun
Just following you guys tail coats

BTW: Did your Z-poxy come in?

FCA
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:37 PM
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,385 Posts
The horse dropped something off....havnt made it up though,i think my 4s and 5s are there also.