HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2011, 04:15 PM
Joined Oct 2008
98 Posts
Discussion
has anyone tried this motor? Tacon 36-74-1700kv

Has anyone tried this motor? http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m812-3674-1700kv.html

It is listed as a 90mm EDF motor. Its 36-74-1700kv. I wonder if it will perform similarly to the ARC 36-75-1 (1680kv)? The size/kv is very similar. Any ideas?
cleansho93 is offline Find More Posts by cleansho93
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2011, 01:47 PM
Fogelsville, PA
Joined Mar 2004
670 Posts
I'm pondering the same exact thing. Not much info on them or the Leopard motors from the EDF guys.

Have you found any information on them?
maverickma is offline Find More Posts by maverickma
Old Apr 04, 2011, 03:13 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,512 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15234

Very similar motor for almost half the price.
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Apr 05, 2011, 02:37 AM
Joined Oct 2008
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickma View Post
I'm pondering the same exact thing. Not much info on them or the Leopard motors from the EDF guys.

Have you found any information on them?
I have heard good reviews about the leopard motors, which appear to be almost (if not) identical to the Tacon motors. There may be a difference in quality somewhere like with the bearings or internally, but I have not heard anything negative about either brand.

I myself ended up going with an ARC 36-55-1.5 1850kv because it weighs about 90g lighter than the Tacon motor. I have been very happy with this motor choice. That being said, I still think the Tacon motor would definitely be worth trying out for the price. I would definitely consider giving it a try if I were ever to go to an 8s setup.
cleansho93 is offline Find More Posts by cleansho93
Old Apr 07, 2011, 12:49 AM
Fogelsville, PA
Joined Mar 2004
670 Posts
Would be a 7 cell setup on the 36-75.
maverickma is offline Find More Posts by maverickma
Old Apr 07, 2011, 01:25 AM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleansho93 View Post
I have heard good reviews about the leopard motors, which appear to be almost (if not) identical to the Tacon motors.

...which seem to be coppies of the NeuCastle motor from just looking at them, but I don't know if they are 4 pole. The one from HC is 2 pole.

SC
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:06 AM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Bump, anyone have any practical experience with this motor?
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:07 AM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
Co$t always being one of the first considerations.

I just got one on Thursday. With a 6s 30-40c lipo on a 7 blade haoya it pulls 64 amps at around (i think 1400watts). I am looking to get a few more if it survives. I have tested a bunch of configurations this week.

It is rated at 2400 watts max and 8s. Next test will be on a change sun 90mm 5 blade and new 12 blade with 8s.

I have noticed one thing about brushless motors. The out runners of the same power to inrunners on 90mm sizes are around 9 oz. lighter.

This may play a roll in my next power system. Especially in a multi blade like the new CS 90mm. Due to outrunner configuration, spinning the shaft from a better "leverage" position may yield higher torque than an inrunner at less amp draw. 12 blade may be a good combo for out runner. The savings in weight will be put toward batts.

Steve
SCALECRAFT is offline Find More Posts by SCALECRAFT
Last edited by SCALECRAFT; Nov 13, 2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:52 AM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
I was actually looking at getting it for the 12 blade CS fan. My understanding of the situation is that the heat produced in the motor is in the windings, and with the windings at the surface on inrunners it is easier to dissipate the heat. In an outrunner the heat is basically contained in the core of the motor.

This might work for an outrunner.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_1600KV.html

Its only about 4 oz lighter than the Tacon though.

How is the quality of the Tacon? Does it have strong magnets? My Neu is very difficult to turn by hand, does the Tacon "cog" distinctly? Please post numbers when you try it on 8s.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 01:23 PM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatsob View Post
I was actually looking at getting it for the 12 blade CS fan. My understanding of the situation is that the heat produced in the motor is in the windings, and with the windings at the surface on inrunners it is easier to dissipate the heat. In an outrunner the heat is basically contained in the core of the motor.

This might work for an outrunner.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_1600KV.html

Its only about 4 oz lighter than the Tacon though.

How is the quality of the Tacon? Does it have strong magnets? My Neu is very difficult to turn by hand, does the Tacon "cog" distinctly? Please post numbers when you try it on 8s.
The motor you have a link to is rated at around 1500 watts. The Tacon in question is 2400 watts. However, as I try these run ups, I have concluded that low amp draw with high eflux with a thrust tube, is what I will use for my power systems. I have a variable tail cone that will come into the testing after I have a good combo. My goal is not to over amp anything.

Cog. The cog on some in runners are non existent. Yet they work very well. I have found that this cog effect is not a good indicator of power. The magnets on the out put shaft are solid drum like shapes, (Tacon) being pulled around by the current that is controlled by the ESC as it rapidly switches the "magnetic pole" of the windings. Yet I have a HET inrunner (1100 kv) that cogs. ??? Does it have more "torque" ??.This is from reading a bit of wikiped.

Plus, I wonder how accurate the KV ratings are on these motors. ?? They do play a major role in the watts generated.

Steve
SCALECRAFT is offline Find More Posts by SCALECRAFT
Last edited by SCALECRAFT; Nov 13, 2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 04:04 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Thanks Steve. I'm with you on not overamping things. I like to keep things under 100 amps when possible. I'm looking at this motor for the 12 blade CS rotor and am thinking on 6s it should be in the 80-90 amp range.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 04:19 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,397 Posts
Quote:
Tacon 36-74-1700kv
'Stator 46MM '
off the specs
beware
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Nov 13, 2011, 05:28 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
'Stator 46MM '
off the specs
beware
Meaning there is 15mm of dead space on eather end of the stators? Please explain.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:03 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALECRAFT View Post
...This may play a roll in my next power system. Especially in a multi blade like the new CS 90mm. Due to outrunner configuration, spinning the shaft from a better "leverage" position may yield higher torque than an inrunner at less amp draw. 12 blade may be a good combo for out runner. The savings in weight will be put toward batts.

Steve
I don't have any experience with the motor but it doesn't look like it's any different from the generic KDA long cans that are being sold on HK. The HK car motors look more quality built and they'll demag over 3000 watts.

Out runners cooler than inrunners IMHO, I've got inrunner cans that are vented and non-vented and the demagging rate of inrunners is mind bending vs outrunner but I can rarely find a 35mm diameter out-runner motor that stator is longer than 48mm limiting their total power rating.

The suppo out-runner 1600kv motor linked above has been tested up to 8s on a wemo knock off rotor, I don't think it'll take up to 8s for very long but will no doubt do 7s.

I've had luck up to now on the 40mm car motors in the haoye 6 and 7 blade motor shrouds, the 40mm diameter inrunners are able to eat some watts and put out a lot of power and you can drilling the top and bottom caps for better cooling. HK has some 1600kv big can 40mm car motor inrunners that look like they can take some watts
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Last edited by erh7771; Nov 13, 2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 05:17 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatsob View Post
Meaning there is 15mm of dead space on eather end of the stators? Please explain.
My experience tells me, a motor manufacture that fills the can with windings and stator is the one to get. I have a 53mm long Neu motor with a 45mm stator, a 1W30 that is stuffed to the gills, both produce. I have a lander motor given to me that is a 28x47 but the stator is like 30mm long and it doesn't perform worth a sh**. Not knowing the motor but reading the specifications gives me at least some kind of clue as to what kind of device is being sold
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero