HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2011, 03:49 PM
Joined Nov 2009
97 Posts
Discussion
My hangar 9 Tribute almost broke in half in the air today

I was flying my Tribute 3D after finaly getting my glow engine to work properly (there was a problem with the tuning needle) and now the darn plane almost brakes in half in the air. I came down for a low pass, shot back into the air at about 2/3 throttle and then added quite a lot of left rudder as I was about to perform a rolling circle and the fuselage just suddenly started wobbling like a fish out of water and I lost almost all control of it. Luckily I did a hard landing in tall grass so the plane was not damaged except for where it cracked in mid air vertically along the fuselage. Now I just want to know why the hell this happened, it is a 3D plane is it not ? I havent had this plane for very long but when I got agressive with it today I never expected it to fail on me.

Anyone else ever had a problem like this with their 3D plane ?
DaN_Th3_MaN is offline Find More Posts by DaN_Th3_MaN
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2011, 07:22 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
got any pictures.,
The H-9 twist needs a mod just behind the wing/ canopy area.
On it I just add a little renforcement, light ply
glad you didn't lose it
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Apr 01, 2011, 01:51 PM
USA, VA, Central
Joined Oct 2006
412 Posts
The Tribute, as it comes out of the box, is very weak at the trailing edge of the wing. Whether or not it's a 3D plane depends on who you ask. If 3D is a 5-second hover at 300 feet, then yes, the Tribute is a bonafide 3D MONSTER! If 3D more like this video, then no, the Tribute is not much more than a decent sport ship.....with a weak spot at the TE of the wing.

Mojo 60- MoAss mod Maiden (7 min 8 sec)
justerik is offline Find More Posts by justerik
Last edited by justerik; Apr 01, 2011 at 01:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old Apr 05, 2011, 03:38 PM
Joined Nov 2009
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justerik View Post
The Tribute, as it comes out of the box, is very weak at the trailing edge of the wing. Whether or not it's a 3D plane depends on who you ask. If 3D is a 5-second hover at 300 feet, then yes, the Tribute is a bonafide 3D MONSTER! If 3D more like this video, then no, the Tribute is not much more than a decent sport ship.....with a weak spot at the TE of the wing.
I kinda have to disagree with you, the Hangar 9 Tribute 3D is extremely aerobatic. Ive been doing hovers, torque rolls, rolling loops, rolling harriers, and knife edge loops with ease, thats quite a bit more than what a sport plane could do. I was amazed when I first flew this plane on full throws, it will do anything. When mine cracked in the air it was while I was pulling to do a rolling circle from a quick snap turn. Sure the tribute is not as good as the mojo, but it is definately capable of all 3D maneuvers.

But anyways I fixed and reinforced the plane well, I hope to fly it this saterday again. Its kinda strange that Hangar 9 can sell a product like this if you ask me. Ive been doing some research and quite a few people also have a problem with the fuselage breaking.
DaN_Th3_MaN is offline Find More Posts by DaN_Th3_MaN
Old Apr 05, 2011, 03:47 PM
USA, VA, Central
Joined Oct 2006
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaN_Th3_MaN View Post
I kinda have to disagree with you, the Hangar 9 Tribute 3D is extremely aerobatic. Ive been doing hovers, torque rolls, rolling loops, rolling harriers, and knife edge loops with ease, thats quite a bit more than what a sport plane could do. I was amazed when I first flew this plane on full throws, it will do anything. When mine cracked in the air it was while I was pulling to do a rolling circle from a quick snap turn. Sure the tribute is not as good as the mojo, but it is definately capable of all 3D maneuvers.

But anyways I fixed and reinforced the plane well, I hope to fly it this saterday again. Its kinda strange that Hangar 9 can sell a product like this if you ask me. Ive been doing some research and quite a few people also have a problem with the fuselage breaking.

No worries, if you enjoy it, that's all that matters.
justerik is offline Find More Posts by justerik
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:09 PM
Joined Apr 2009
66 Posts
Get an OMP Edge 540 v3

I love the Tribute in Realflight, but I bought a profile Edge 540 from Ohio Model Products because I examined a Tribute in the LHS and determined it was built weaker that what I needed. I also owned a Twist 40 and had to reinforce the fuse as per above. My OMP came out heavier than they advertised , 5 # vs 4.25# , but the extra weight was in the fuse plank and I used a Thunder Tiger 70 4S. I loved my Twist 40 and if I get another one I would use an engine under 17 oz and reinforce the fuse where the TE of the wing box meets the canopy. The profile planes are more expensive but sooner or later you will need that ruggedness [use metal gear servos too].
BOBHEND is offline Find More Posts by BOBHEND
Old May 18, 2011, 11:00 AM
foam gone wild!
United States, IN, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2011
162 Posts
Good luck ever talking to OMP (ohio model products}) Ive called 10+ times and left VM's still no reply. Go with 3dhs
jbrracer is offline Find More Posts by jbrracer
Old Jun 10, 2011, 01:00 AM
I have two speeds fast and WFO
United States, IN, Vincennes
Joined Jul 2006
471 Posts
My dad owns a tribute and has had several problems with the plane being weak. His main solution was gluing the wing to the fuselage helped out a ton. He doesnt do 3D but he does alot of scale aerobatics. The elevator, the fuse and motor mount area are everything he has strengthened. He is only flying it with an LA 40. But the plane is very fun to fly. He has been flying it for a year and is only now going to add the SFGs. Very rock solid for its size. I think if you can haul it in one piece the gluing method seems to be one of the strongest fixes for the fuse.
customcarmaker is offline Find More Posts by customcarmaker