SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:09 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,636 Posts
Well, it's blowing and snowing like nuts here. 41 mph winds, gusting to 51. The girls just tried to go out and keep up with the shoveling and came right back in. It is futile This is gonna go on all night. Boston will hit the jackpot with around 2 feet. I'd post pics in the AM but I'm sure you all have seen snow before

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:47 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
7,038 Posts
We are done with it here, got around 24" of the stuff. The big blower would not start but the little 2 cycle snow thrower took care of it no problem. My son in-law ran it early this morning. I did it at noon and then my son in-law did it again after 4:30.

The big blower is loaded in the back of the van ready to go to the repair shop tomorrow.
frieslander is offline Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:15 AM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Joined Mar 2008
11,636 Posts
Ah darn Durk. Just when you need the big guns *sigh*

At least you had the little guy to save the day..lol. I'm hoping my next door neighbor will be out there to lend us a hand. Very nice guy. Hey Leehe has relatives not to far from you. He knows all about Winder. Ha, ha, he always calls Patti, "Miss Patti" and I always call his wife "Miss Angela." Too funny.

Mike.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:34 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,060 Posts
That just proves what a small world it is that we live in huh. Small, sure, but I would hate to have to paint it. ahahahhahahaha

Wonder what his people's name is? Do I know any of them? How old are they? Where do they live? Hope they can help ya with all that white stuff. None here. Sunny and beautifull. Gonna get into the 60's today. Might just have to fly. hehe
Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:56 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Joined Mar 2008
11,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
That just proves what a small world it is that we live in huh. Small, sure, but I would hate to have to paint it. ahahahhahahaha

Wonder what his people's name is? Do I know any of them? How old are they? Where do they live? Hope they can help ya with all that white stuff. None here. Sunny and beautifull. Gonna get into the 60's today. Might just have to fly. hehe
Lee
His last name is Thurmond. Many of his relatives came up here last summer and I got to meet his Dad. Real nice folks. Gotta love that southern charm. Being black, I think the southern accent is even thicker...lol. My neighbor is just about your age and I believe he served in the Navy as well.

Well, I couldn't help myself from posting a few pics of this "epic" storm. You can't tell from the pics but, it's still coming down and blowing like all hell. Should start to taper off around 2 or 3 PM. Some of the snow drifts are about 6 feet high but, just from where I can see.

Mike.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:21 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,687 Posts
Hey Mike, good to hear from you. Was concerned that you were gonna be buried by the snow. Were those pictures taken with a periscope?
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:40 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Joined Mar 2008
11,636 Posts
HP, I had to hold the camera up straight with one arm. I don't need no stinking periscope

Mike.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:33 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
7,038 Posts
First thing I have to say, I am still alive, thank you god for the miracle.

I was heading out of town to take my snow blower to the repair shop. It was a beautiful sunny day and the roads were clean and dry. THEN IT HAPPENED!!!

A big oversize cube van came towards me, as it passed the big 2 foot high pile if snow flew off it's roof and smashed my windshield in. All of a sudden I was seeing nothing but white. I managed to get my van stopped safely off the highway. My windshield was caved in, my glasses were gone and ditto my hat. I was covered in snow and bleeding from my forehead. Gerda was screaming but nothing had hit her.

The headliner was hanging down, all the overhead console units were hanging by the wires. My sun visor was somewhere in the back of the van Glass everywhere, the inside side trim broken and ripped off on the drivers side.

I could not see to call 911, I foumd my glasses minus one lens and managed to punch in 911 but nothing. I then flagged a couple pf cars down and asked them to call 911. Afterwards I realized that I had forgotten to push the Talk button.

The ambulance took me to the hospital, I did find the other lens to my glasses before they came.

I am recuperating with a head ache and a sore neck and my van is out of service.

But you know what? I feel good because I am alive ano not seriously hurt.

No the truck never stopped, probably never saw what happened.
Last edited by frieslander; Feb 09, 2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:31 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,158 Posts
Jesus

I am glad you're alright Durk

F, ing a ssholes whom don't clean off vehicles can go f themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by frieslander View Post
First thing I have to say, I am still alive, thank you god for the miracle.

I was heading out of town to take my snow blower to the repair shop. It was a beautiful sunny day and the roads were clean and dry. THEN IT HAPPENED!!!

A big oversize cube van came towards me, as it passed the big 2 foot high pile if snow flew off it's roof and smashed my windshield in. All of a sudden I was seeing nothing but white. I managed to get my van stopped safely off the highway. My windshield was caved in, my glasses were gone and ditto my hat. I was covered in snow and bleeding from my forehead. Gerda was screaming but nothing had hit her.

The headliner was hanging down, all the overhead console units were hanging by the wires. My sun visor was somewhere in the back of the van Glass everywhere, the inside side trim broken and ripped off on the drivers side.

I could not see to call 911, I foumd my glasses minus one lens and managed to punch in 911 but nothing. I then flagged a couple pf cars down and asked them to call 911. Afterwards I realized that I had forgotten to push the Talk button.

The ambulance took me to the hospital, I did find the other lens to my glasses before they came.

I am recuperating with a head ache and a sore neck and my van is out of service.

But you know what? I feel good because I am alive ano not seriously hurt.

No the truck never stopped, probably never saw what happened.
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:38 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Joined Mar 2008
11,636 Posts
Holly crap Durk! Thank God you and Gerda got out of that alive. I've heard of these type of accidents all the time and some end in tragedy. The hunks of snow that come off these trucks are massive. It's too bad trucking companies doesn't do more to try and keep their roofs clean.

Ha, ha, ha...I was just thinking. Ever seen those idiots driving down the street after a snow storm, and all they cleaned off the car was the front windshield, and even that's a piss poor job.

A Cop friend of mine told me he pulled such a driver over one time. When he approached the drivers side, he asked the driver..."So Frosty, ya know why I pulled you over?" He made him clean his car off right then and there. Too funny.

Glad you and Gerda are ok Bud,
Mike.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:51 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,687 Posts
Thank God, you and Gerda were okay. What a close call!
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:17 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,060 Posts
OMG! Durk! Glad your alive brother. Dang.
Get well soon.
Very Glad Miss Gerda is ok. Bless y'all.
Dang
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:18 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,060 Posts
Mike, dang that is a LOT of white.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:00 AM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Joined Mar 2008
11,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
Mike, dang that is a LOT of white.
Yup, sure is. I'm a bit sore today from what little I did to help. Oh well. Today is nice and bright and sunny. Will have to get out there later and clean the car off. ESPECIALLY OFF THE ROOF

Durk, I just seen a recent pic of you on facebook. Compared to the pic above, you now look like a raccoon with chubby cheeks. It looks like you went 10 rounds with Mike Tyson (less the missing ear) Sorry Bud, I couldn't resist. Trying to put a smile on your face. I hope it doesn't hurt when you smile

You must be a bit sore today. Take it easy Bud!

Mike.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:18 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
7,038 Posts
LOL Mike I scared the crap out of myself when I looked in the mirror this morning.

I have some Tylenol 3 to look after the pain. Figured maybe Lee might send me a gallon of moonshine, but no!