Happy New Year to all my friends.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:30 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,978 Posts
Here is hoping that this year brings you all happiness and joy and prosperity. Cheers my friends.
Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:13 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,193 Posts
Happy New Year to all of you!
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Why I L-O-V-E miracle mart ...
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:16 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelzup View Post
Wow!... Diodes and Doo Doo. I REALLY wish I hadn't brought it up.
On the contrary ole' boy, glad you did. Everything gets discussed here, including what you had for supper, and the general appearance of it, the next day!
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:17 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,340 Posts
Is it New Years allready? Man, time flies when we are having fun !!!
Or when we get old !
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:26 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelzup View Post
I'm gonna risk it again... posing a question that is, not messin' with batteries! Please feel free to redirect to a different, more appropriate thread.
The Skywing is starting to get sluggish about halfway through a battery, well before the voltage becomes too low. First thing I notice is a sluggish or non-exsistant response to RH yaw with a corresponding drop in rpm (and altitude). When I land and let sit for a minute or two (cool down?) I get great lift and turn response in both directions. It sure seems like the continuous run time is causing it, suggesting heat. Possibly one of the motors going bad? I've double checked gear clearances and rotational efforts (back-driven by hand) seem smooth and ok.
Advise and thanks again for all your help and photographic contributions...
Mike
Feel both motors directly after landing. If one of the motors are very hot, you found the problem. It's highly unlikely both will be hot.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:29 AM
Joined Mar 2008
11,328 Posts
Durk, I am waiting on a SD card reader to download a fix to my camera that is only two years old. The camera is over charging the battery...AARRGG. I take my pics/vids, then remove the battery for now

Mike.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:43 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Feel both motors directly after landing. If one of the motors are very hot, you found the problem. It's highly unlikely both will be hot.

Mike.
+1. Of course it is possible for a motor to good bad. But in the case of a coaxial when the two motors have to match speed, having one motor gone bad will be very very obvious, because the coaxial will be way out of shape. Is it possible for both motors to go bad at the same time at the same rate? Possible but very unlikely.

Therefore, I would attribute the sluggishness to the battery. I think the battery is not so healthy, and its internal resistance is building. When it is working on a load, the voltage drops faster than before, and the max current draw is limiting. But if you let it rest and cool off, when it is not under load, it bounces back up a little, until it is under load again, and it starts to fall rapidly after a short initial thrust. It's just my theory.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:35 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Durk, I am waiting on a SD card reader to download a fix to my camera that is only two years old. The camera is over charging the battery...AARRGG. I take my pics/vids, then remove the battery for now

Mike.
Can you not just take the battery out to charge it? That is how my Canon cameras do it. The batteries last quite s long time between charges and I have spares.

I hope the firmware fix does the trick, no card reader on your PC?
frieslander is online now Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:24 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frieslander View Post
Can you not just take the battery out to charge it? That is how my Canon cameras do it. The batteries last quite s long time between charges and I have spares.

I hope the firmware fix does the trick, no card reader on your PC?
The battery remains in the camera while charging via USB to PC or wall plug. Without the new "fix" if I leave the battery in the camera, it sucks the juice right out of it. I already sent two batteries back with zero voltage after leaving the battery in the camera. So, you see, it over charges and when left alone will draw the juice out.

No, my PC does not have a card reader. I never heard of that. I thought card readers were all external

Mike.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:34 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,551 Posts
They have card readers on the desktop front panels, too. I use mine all the time.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:13 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,812 Posts
I would be lost without a card reader in my PC's. Even my printer has a card reader that I can access from my PC's even over my wireless network.
frieslander is online now Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:13 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,978 Posts
Poor Mike is still living in the 70's. ahahahahahaha
Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:16 PM
Mid-MI (Lansing)
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
Mike & Heli,
Spot on Mike. Does anyone else hold stuff up to their lips to feel slight temp differences? No? Then never mind... I don't either. So, when I hold the heli up to my receptors (wink), the front motor definitely feels warmer than the rear. Sure enough, it would be responsible for increasing relative rotation for the "poor" rh turn performance. Moreover, that motor is surrounded by the battery and the canopy.
Experiment... removed canopy and it operated almost flawless through most of the batt. Did this enough to be repeatable, then re-installed canopy. Obvious and within 2 min of continuous flight, lh turns will allow climbs while rh turns sends to the ground.
Sounds like a motor change in my future?
Heli, power loss is dramatic only in rh turn. Will only climb with full left ail.
Thanks again.
wheelzup is offline Find More Posts by wheelzup
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:29 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,551 Posts
Okay, that does sound like a bad motor. Plan on replacing both of them at once. (Like you would replacing tires).