Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:50 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,511 Posts
It looks like this heli was not made with removing and charging the batteries in mind. However the JST plug makes it o much simpler to change a bat battery. No soldering skills required!
frieslander is online now Find More Posts by frieslander
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:50 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,205 Posts
Thanks, Lee.

BTW, I have just made a new blog entry for the Battery quick change system I was talking about. Take a look if you're interested. I expect there will be a renewed interest after so many people have received helicopters for Christmas. Feel free to point others to the blog whenever the battery mod discussion comes up.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Last edited by Heli Pad; Dec 28, 2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:53 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frieslander View Post
It looks like this heli was not made with removing and charging the batteries in mind. However the JST plug makes it so much simpler to change a bad battery. No soldering skills required!
Nope. Not with a screwed down canopy like that. But once you've made the quick change canopy as suggested, it opens up a new ball game for swappable batteries and (almost) continuous flying.
Last edited by Heli Pad; Dec 28, 2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:46 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,644 Posts
Heli Pad, that is one heck of a great right up. Nice job bro. Makes me wish Miss Tina had not killed our little 3ch copter. hahaha. I miss it now.
Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:37 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,205 Posts
Thank you, Lee. For $25, you could send for a new one! LOL.

I practically bought my own Christmas gift. Since I didn't get anything I wanted, I ordered myself a Syma x1 quad online, and I just received it today. Sweet!

I'm gonna go meet with my buddy Daryoon to check this thing out tonight. And perhaps, I would have another write up about it in the near future.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:14 AM
Mid-MI (Lansing)
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
Update of Skywing...
First, don't up the batt cell count with this chopper! Pretty sure I've harmed the combo control board permanently. With a 2s, it took off like a missle. I had control at first then it slewed to right before I could get it back down nicely. Wall, floor (concrete), silence! Other than a broken skid, didn't see any damage. However, while the motors still spun up (boy do they spin up), I didn't get a response from the servos. Quickly unplugged. Further investigation shows inner shaft drive gear stripped causing chunky spin and vibration. No response from servos when switched back to 1s but blinky lights still working along with drive motors. More time will assure proper diagnosis of bad components... servos or board.
Plan B - My son had got himself one of these as well as the one he gave me. He got a total of 5 min of flight before breaking the hub mechanism and blades for the lower rotor. We'll make one good one out of the two.
Heli, the quick-change canopy mod works great. Canopy stay solid but snaps right off when needed. Thanks.
As Arnold said to his mistress/nanny... "Ah'll be bock"!
wheelzup is offline Find More Posts by wheelzup
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:25 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,205 Posts
Oh dear, Wheels. On the one hand, I'm glad that the canopy mod worked out for you. On the other hand... what were you thinking? I was trying very hard to nudge you to get more 1S cells to extend flight time. A 2S cell is 2x the voltage. How did you expect the electronics to fair?!? Hehehe.

Well, I like the sound of Plan B.

How about also a Plan C? Please check out my new toy/review:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1797545
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:32 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,644 Posts
I may be wrong...but I thought I warned him not to do this. Dang.
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:36 PM
Mid-MI (Lansing)
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
Heli,
Thinking?... Gotta try that someday! What I was "hoping" was that the BEC, what I suspect is the problem, is like other ESC/RX combos that can adapt to a range of volts. Still haven't diagnosed board vs servos. Too busy flying the new "Frankenstein" Skywing. Vid coming.
Those quads look awesome. I've been trying to put some flying machine together. that my Granddaughters might be able to fly (8 yr & 10 yr.). For under $40, I might just have to try. Do you think I could get a 4S to fit? The hard part is usually the soldering of the 8 ga. wire to the JST connector
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:10 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelzup View Post
Heli,
Thinking?... Gotta try that someday! What I was "hoping" was that the BEC, what I suspect is the problem, is like other ESC/RX combos that can adapt to a range of volts. Still haven't diagnosed board vs servos. Too busy flying the new "Frankenstein" Skywing. Vid coming.
Those quads look awesome. I've been trying to put some flying machine together. that my Granddaughters might be able to fly (8 yr & 10 yr.). For under $40, I might just have to try. Do you think I could get a 4S to fit? The hard part is usually the soldering of the 8 ga. wire to the JST connector
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:18 PM
Mid-MI (Lansing)
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
Skywing fun in the basement...
Skywing coax I (4 min 46 sec)

Enjoy
MIke
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:40 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
2,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
Hi again Mike. Another Mike on here eh? More the merrier (sp) hahaha. Motor size isn't that important. I was just tryin to figuere out your copter to help advise you. Having flown airplanes, I was trying to think of a way for you to ID them. Like I said earlier, I am not aquainted with this copter. But, they are all kinda alike. If you have ever tried to run a 2S batt on a UM plane, like a HZ Champ or Trojan, you would know that it won't work. The RX won't initiate. You would have to go in-line with a diode to get the voltage down. I have run 3S on a 2S RX. But, that is usually a different animal. You could take some of your 2S batts apart and make them 1S to get more ready. Easy enough to do with some JST plugs. Thing that gets me is that your 1S batt is 1000mah!!! That has to be huge? I wouldn't mind having some of those for my planes. hahahaha
Lee
Diode to get the voltage down? A diode is a "check valve" for electricity. It allows current to pass in one direction, but not in reverse. Maybe you were thinking of a resistor instead? At least that is what I always thought. Correct me if I am wrong.
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:19 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,511 Posts
LOL you are sharp battledude. I sort of skipped over that post and never caught that. A resistor is needed to drop the voltage. A better way would be to reconfigure the battery to a 1s as Lee stated.
frieslander is online now Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:50 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,205 Posts
And when you fabricate a voltage regulator to drop voltage with resistors, you are basically turning power into heat. It's a very inefficient way to carry a load.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:30 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
And when you fabricate a voltage regulator to drop voltage with resistors, you are basically turning power into heat. It's a very inefficient way to carry a load.
This is a better way to carry a load
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012