SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:35 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,930 Posts
Haha, we posted at the same time. Dang, that is a good price.
Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:37 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,930 Posts
I have some Planes that weigh less than those batts. ahahahahaha
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:38 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,494 Posts
Specs are right there on the product page, although I'll take it with a grain of salt. HK is not famous for they accurate specs info. But you get an idea.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:44 PM
Mid-MI (Lansing)
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
Heli,
Wheels works too! Can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Mike.
HK's USA warehouse is getting good for a lot of stuff including batts. Haven't checked recently but unless something not available here, I automatically change to US Warehouse only product. 3 days regular shipping on just about everything. Pennies difference in total of most prices + shipping compared to China but here in three days vs. 3 weeks... if you're lucky. I haven't paid more than $8 for a battery, including some 2500 mah, 3s with XT connector. They better be giving away the 1kmah 1s. It is absolutely true that you need to read between the lines at the product descriptions. However, HK does much better than most Chinese companies for customer service, translation, etc. It's fun to exchange most humorous Mandarin to English translations except it ends up sounding racist.
My bad on charge time. Just got done with a run but realized the charger had shutdown on "timeout" (120 min.) instead of zero amps. You're right. There's no way of charging more than rating without exceeding rate. I've limited to 1c as it's not marked and still want to fly it. I think I'll get a few more cycles in, then try plugging in the 2s to see what happens. The board is $18 + shipping...
wheelzup is offline Find More Posts by wheelzup
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:01 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
I wonder now how much that batt weighs? And the dimisions? Getting close to being a bad time of the year to order from China. But, dang, those prices sound really good.
Lee
All the specs are there
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,251 Posts
Whoa, I just lost an hour and a half on this thread...holy crap what happened
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:22 PM
Mid-MI (Lansing)
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
Chap,
Just reading my long winded posts would have done that.
wheelzup is offline Find More Posts by wheelzup
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelzup View Post
Chap,
Just reading my long winded posts would have done that.
I don't think so
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:38 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,494 Posts
Here are a couple more potential batteries. Potential because I have not verify the specs.

US eBay Seller
Hong Kong eBay Seller

These already have the JST plugs and the form factor looks like they will fit.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:09 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
That batt has a JST plug on it. I looked at it in the spare parts list. Looked like the motors are BOL size. What were they? 380?
Lee
OK, I looked at the spare parts too. Question...how the heck do you charge that battery with the charge cable that is shown
http://www.thinkrc.com/misc-parts-vi...-9_82_135.html

JST vs. single pole plug!?!? I'd love to see how that connects up to charge the battery

What am I missing Guys?

Mike.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:41 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
OK, I looked at the spare parts too. Question...how the heck do you charge that battery with the charge cable that is shown
http://www.thinkrc.com/misc-parts-vi...-9_82_135.html

JST vs. single pole plug!?!? I'd love to see how that connects up to charge the battery

What am I missing Guys?

Mike.
It was mentioned earlier that the charger plugs into the side of the heli to charge the battery.
frieslander is online now Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,494 Posts
I think, because I don't own, the Skywing charges just like the S107. You plug the AC adapter to the wall, and connect the charge plug to the body of the helicopter. It has a hole that labelled "CHA" (Chinese abbev for Charge, haha), and it changes the battery while it is connected to the main PCB via the JST. There is no difference from the basic S107 setup, except the battery is not soldered directly to the board. The JST is there to make future replacement just a little easier, so that you don't have to solder.

But Wheels has a smart charger. So, he pulls the JST just out of the canopy far enough, so that he disconnects the JST and charges his battery using his fancy charger. I would do the same if I were him.

What I've been suggesting is that Wheels could get a couple more batteries, so that he could charge them all up and fly them back to back (with a reasonable cool down). However, swapping out the battery means more than just disconnecting the JST. The battery is enclosed in the canopy. The canopy is held to the frame by screws. That's why I suggested that he do my canopy quick change mod. So that he could take the canopy off, replace the battery, re-install the canopy and fly - no tools involved! Sounds like a good plan?

BTW, this is exactly what I've done for my S107. I have a quick change canopy. The Overcharge protection has been transplanted to stay with the helicopter and then there is a small plug that accepts any Eflite style battery. I change a bunch of these 150mAh Eflite batteries and go fly one pack after another. I do hospital visits with the S107, so I need a bunch of batteries to keep it flying, cos I can't afford to charge 40 minutes in between stops.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:27 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,930 Posts
Hey Heli Pad, I just checked out that canopy mounting mod y'all did. NICE!!!! Good dang job brother.
Lee
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:30 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frieslander View Post
It was mentioned earlier that the charger plugs into the side of the heli to charge the battery.
This is what I thought and "assumed."

Heli Pad, still, how do you account for the "stock" set-up as viewed from the spare parts list. Yes, the board and batt has JST but, when you look at the charger cable one would assume it plugs right into the side of the heli. I know what you're saying about charging the batt through the smart charger (if you had one) but, I don't even see a charger on the parts list to accept the JST battery.

Very weird

Mike.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:48 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,494 Posts
Mike, if I understood your question correctly, the manufacturer never assumes that we have a smart charger, nor that we would disconnect the JST. The JST is simply there for battery replacement, not for charging. Charging is assumed to be through the AC adapter, helicopter, board, to battery - just like a stock S107. You wouldn't find a charger with JST on the part list, because that not what the manufacturer expects the customer to do. But, we all know that we're weird and don't always follow the rules, right?

Perhaps the more telling photo is this one here:
http://site.hobbypartz.com/pimages/2...SkyWing-11.jpg

Here, you could see that the power adapter just plug into the round hole in the left side of the helicopter. The rest is just like the S107 setup.