HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:38 AM
Mid-MI (Lansing)
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
Hello rotary wingers! Guess what I got for Christmas?
Having a couple of years experience with home-made electric foamies (Blu-Baby, Polaris, Titan combat wing, etc.), I'm finally going vertical!
To the point, my son got me a Skywing! Not even sure which online source he got it from but searching online bring up pics, descriptions and vids of a Skyking, similar in size to those shown, even similar paint job. It's quickly obvious that my new one (my first heli) uses all plastic blade hinges, swash plate, etc. Even the tail rotor is fake. Still, it comes with its own little 2.4ghz controller, the heli is a 4 ch. with a 1k mah, 1s battery, charger and spare blades. It's flying fine but would like to up the battery to an 800 mah 2s and wondered if anybody has experience in doing this without frying the rx/gyro board.
Either way, looking forward to minutes of flight...
wheelzup is offline Find More Posts by wheelzup
Last edited by wheelzup; Dec 27, 2012 at 12:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:00 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,162 Posts
Wheelzup, Congratulations! Let's hope that this is just a beginning of your helicopter hobby. You would have to excuse my ignorance, but I'm not familiar with the Skyking. It sounds to me that it is a larger coaxial helicopter. I'm not sure about you comment of the fake tail rotor, because that's usually what people say about a 3 ch, because it is mount weird. But you said you have 4ch one.

1000mAh, 1s, is a fairly big size battery. I'm not sure why you'd want to switch to 800mAh 2s. Perhaps it is what you use in other hobbies? In helicopter, the battery size, weight and voltage matters more than the other RC toys. Going from 1S to 2S changes the voltage supply from 3.7v to 7.4v. The on board electronics would not like it. If I were you, I would just look for a couple more like cells to extend the flight time. The battery does come with a plug for a quick change, I assume?

Please take and share a few photos of your new toy, particularly the tail rotor, and the battery, and perhaps a link of where you find a matching helicopter, so we would recommend the right parts for you.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:21 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,901 Posts
Almost sounds like a coax; Esky V3 with the "fake" tail rotor or similar. I see mods in your future

Yes, pictures please and welcome

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:26 PM
Mid-MI (Lansing)
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
Skywing info...

Thanks for the quick reply guys. I hope the pic uploads but nothing more than cut-n-paste from one of the vendor sites. I'd mistakenly called it a Skyking in the first draft and there's apparently a quality coax out there by that name and this is about the same size and look alike. It's pretty big at a 12" blade sweep and about 14" nose to tail.
I left a lot of detail out in description as wasn't sure how much interest in helping/learning more in this thread but just like my fixed wing buddies in RCG, almost all quality, helpful people.
Yes, a coax with a fake, free spinning, kinda cheesy looking tail rotor. They call it a 4 ch. but not sure if they didn't stretch the "marketing" truth. Again, with a small 8'x8' spot on the basement floor to trim out and practice hovering, it "flies" fine. I get about 7 to 8 min. in continuous hover, even shooting some vid with my little key camera. I asked about the 2s as I've got about 6 of these sitting around that could keep me in the air continuously. I use the little 6 channel rx in my planes and I can run any choice of 1s, 2s or 3s lipos. Watts are watts... that is, whether I go with a higher current rating (up from 1k mah) or up the cell count (4, 8 or 12v rounded), both extend flight range/time. I was asking as I just don't know if the rx/esc electronics are built the same way. The stock 1kmah isn't bad and an 8 min. flight is decent too. Maybe I DO just want to mod a little. Not used to opening a box and flying. I usually have to cut and glue stuff, buy then install the powertrain.
Anyway, thanks for any input.
Mike
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:38 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,550 Posts
Welcome Wheelzup!! I am not familiar with that model either. Sorry about that. You could use a diode to step down the 2s batt. Just a thought. Happy Flyin.
Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:45 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
As Durk says, there are many meanings to "Boxing Day." Just google it It's quite fascinating when you start reading the many meanings of "Boxing Day."

Well Guys, Michele moved out again after about almost two years here. Miss Patti and I are "again" empty nesters. We told Michele that I was gonna bolt the dinning room table to the floor so the dinning room can never again be used as a bedroom

Mike.
Bolt it to the FLOOR? Sounds like you are living in a houseboat on a stormy sea.

Hope it works out for Michele and you and Patti can enjoy your lives once again.
frieslander is online now Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:48 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,162 Posts
Skywing... That's better. As I now see, a number of people sell that product, including Amazon, Xheli, and ThinkRC. It is a foot-long 4ch coaxial. After seeing the picture, I now understand what you meant by the fake tail rotor. You're absolutely correct. It is fake as in non-functional. It's there for decoration. Unlike a real, single rotor helicopter, you have a pair (two decks) of rotors, spinning in opposite direction. They cancel the torque from each other. Therefore, you don't need an antirotational tail rotor. Turning is achieved by varying the relative speeds of the rotors.

It is 4ch because it could go up/down, forward/aft, turning L/R, sliding L/R. The direction parts are achieved by the swash plate and links, directing the air flow direction of the lower blades. A flybar goes on top to stabilize the helicopter by affecting the upper blades.

The 1000mAh battery has a JST plug on it. Therefore, you should be able to buy like kind battery cells to extend the flight time. I suspected that you have a handful of 2S cells. But for simplicity, I would suggest not to use them with this toy. It is not clear to me if the battery compartment is easily accessible w/o tools. (That might be your first mod there).

It also has a funky remote control that can be configurated to fly in 3 modes (1,2,3). The remote can be held upside down - reminds me of the Nine Eagle design.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:05 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,901 Posts
If it is this heli:
http://www.thinkrc.com/24ghz-4ch-vit...ro-p-1732.html

The charger cable looks like it plugs directly into the heli (much like the Syma S107).

Wheelzup, please confirm on the charger type/cable.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:54 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,550 Posts
That batt has a JST plug on it. I looked at it in the spare parts list. Looked like the motors are BOL size. What were they? 380?
Lee
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:53 PM
Mid-MI (Lansing)
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
Heli - Pretty much knew the function of the parts except the flybar. Thanks for the input The tx is actually pretty good for a small toy. It feels linear and smooth and would have crashed much more without the mode switching (mode 2 from hrs. of fixed wings). Response is good but sometimes, during initiating a rh yaw, it delays and then snaps quickly up to the now higher rate for the input. Bet that has more to do with plastic control rods, plates, ball & sockets, etc. rather than the tx.
Chap and Lee - Yep again, the batt connects to the board leads via a jst with just enough slack to have it sticking out from under the canopy. That allows me to NOT use the wall plug charger that uses a mini-coax type connector and plugs into the "CHA" terminal hole in the port-side of metal frame. Handy? Yes. Fast? No! With the JST exposed, I just plug my regular automatic lipo charger in, set to non-balanced 1s lipo at 1A rate and takes about 12 min. No swelling yet.
Have already started thinking of a way to do a clip-on canopy retention. Maybe a small rubber band would work. But then, with a small rubber band stretched between the skids to hold my key camera, I started trial fitting some of my small 2s batts under the chassis, between the skids. Eye-balled level while sliding new batt fore and aft to seek balance while holding heli hanging by the shaft. Stock batt was taped down onto sticky back foam tape, sitting on-edge and as far forward as canopy allows.
Lee - Not a clue what BOL size OR how to tell if motors are 380. Advise how I could tell. The ThinkRC site has a surprising selection of repair parts for such an "inexpensive" chopper. The link for the motor part is http://www.thinkrc.com/spare-part-h21-motor-p-1911.html
Thanks again guys.
Mike
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:16 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,550 Posts
Hi again Mike. Another Mike on here eh? More the merrier (sp) hahaha. Motor size isn't that important. I was just tryin to figuere out your copter to help advise you. Having flown airplanes, I was trying to think of a way for you to ID them. Like I said earlier, I am not aquainted with this copter. But, they are all kinda alike. If you have ever tried to run a 2S batt on a UM plane, like a HZ Champ or Trojan, you would know that it won't work. The RX won't initiate. You would have to go in-line with a diode to get the voltage down. I have run 3S on a 2S RX. But, that is usually a different animal. You could take some of your 2S batts apart and make them 1S to get more ready. Easy enough to do with some JST plugs. Thing that gets me is that your 1S batt is 1000mah!!! That has to be huge? I wouldn't mind having some of those for my planes. hahahaha
Lee
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:23 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,550 Posts
Man, I was just looking again. $10 for a 1000MAH 1S batt!!! I wish I had some extra money. I would grab a few of these just to try out on some UM planes. hahaha
Lee
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:31 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,162 Posts
Excellent! We are actually talking about Coaxial helicopters here? Typically, we are the "talk about anything" group. LOL.

The battery is inside the canopy, which is held in place by two screws. It's the same arrangement like my Syma S107/S105. It makes replacing the battery is real pain. Therefore, my buddy, Daryoon and I came up with a simple mod for a quick removable canopy. Here is the web page:
http://www.hacksmods.com/2011/12/sim...le-canopy-mod/

I hope that it inspires some ideas for you. What I couldn't tell from the picture is whether there is a overcharge protection circuitry in the stock battery or not. Before we could determine that, be careful not to use the stock charger on your hobby grade batteries. It just might be a dumb charger. Keep using your good charger. Just curious, how did you manage to charge a 1000mAh battery at 1A in about 12 minutes? Isn't that charging at 1C, and should take like an hour?

ThinkRC is not one of my favorite sellers. In the other forums (V949), I'm reading that they are baiting and switching on customers. Not to mention that they are asking $10 for a battery + shipping. I would look else where. I found an 1S 1000mAh battery at HobbyKing for $2.29, but I think it is too long to fit.

This 750mAh though looks promising. It's only a little over $2. So, the capacity is lower, but it's lighter. You could further shed some weight from the tail section to balance the CoG. Flight time would be decent. And with a small handful of these.... Hooo, it's a hoot! Needs JST though.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:34 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
Man, I was just looking again. $10 for a 1000MAH 1S batt!!! I wish I had some extra money. I would grab a few of these just to try out on some UM planes. hahaha
Lee

Lee, I have no idea that you would be so excited to see an 1S 1000mAh for $10. If so, take a look at this and get your credit card ready.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:34 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,550 Posts
I wonder now how much that batt weighs? And the dimisions? Getting close to being a bad time of the year to order from China. But, dang, those prices sound really good.
Lee