HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2012, 04:43 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,328 Posts
Hey Guys, my oldest daughter has been staying with us for some time now (long story). She's 31 years old and has been watching me fly helis for the last year up close and personal. She was watching me fly my mcX and I asked her if she would like to learn and fly. To my surprise she answered "sure Dad" I gave her a quick run down on the TX (she holding it) and me mimicking flight with my mcX as I explained the inputs. Cutting throttle before crash...yada, yada, yada..

So, I started clearing out a good fly area in the parlor and she quickly announced she wanted to start in my room and fly it through the house like I do. Well, I darn near fell off the chair laughing "inside"...did not want to hurt her feelings. I had to explain to her, she first had to learn how to crawl, walk, then run

We started in the parlor thank God. No, No,,,..she did very good for her first time. I'm very proud of her and she wants to do it again. For many of you, this may mean nothing. To me, this means the world

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2012, 05:05 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,551 Posts
Ethan, Thanks for the great update. You've been in my prayers. Pray that your daughter will continue to heal and make a complete recovery in a short time.

Mike, I don't know all the details with your daughter's situation, and I don't need to. Just the fact about you and her sharing quality time together, enjoying flying, that means the world, I'm sure. So, continue to have fun in flying together.

On a sadder note. I have just driven a couple of hundred miles, taking my mom to see her younger sister, who is close to the end of her life. While the family was gathering around her bed, they all turned to me to say "the prayer". It was a tough one. We are sad but at peace.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Mar 29, 2012, 05:16 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,815 Posts
Heli Pad:

Sorry to hear that, seems there is a lot of pain and suffering going on among the members who post here. I was just visiting my brother in law yesterday at the hospital about an hour from here. He had bypass surgery 1 1/2 years ago and is in a lot of pain with angina. He had another rmild heart attack last week Tuesday and because of his weakened state there is nothing they can do for him other than manage the pain.

Mike:

That is nice, just be careful that she does not take this hobby over and leave you under your desk.

Durk
frieslander is online now Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:26 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,978 Posts
Heli Pad, I am so sorry. I will continue to pray for you and your family.
Same to you Durk.
And Mike, you too of course. You are all in my daily prayers. Have been for some time. I am so proud of you and your daughter Mike. That is such wonderfull news to hear. I know how proud you must be. Yippie. hehe. And all that. I still remember the joy of teaching Miss Tina to fly. I remember her first copter. Still sad about not being able to fix her last (favorite) one. But, I will get her a new one just like it someday.
Happy Flyin my friends.
Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:25 PM
Fix, Fix, Fly, Fix, Fix, Fly
Colorado
Joined Apr 2009
635 Posts
Mike, I understand the joy of having your kids take an interest in spending time with you. Awesome!

Heli Pad, you and your family are in our prayers. Hang in there.

Here's hopin' that this weekend will be mellow, warm, and relaxing for everyone...no more drama!

Ethan
mountainsax is offline Find More Posts by mountainsax
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:34 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,244 Posts
Ethan,
Glad to hear everything is ok for now. Must have been very dramatic.
I would have posted earlier but am just now catching up on the reading from the site. Was away for a while.
Jim
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:43 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,244 Posts
Pssst,
Mike and Durk.
I finally had a chance to see where you guys stayed during the 60's.
Nice accomodations fellas
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:00 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamp View Post
Pssst,
Mike and Durk.
How the 'ell did you find out?:

frieslander is online now Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:07 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post

On a sadder note. I have just driven a couple of hundred miles, taking my mom to see her younger sister, who is close to the end of her life. While the family was gathering around her bed, they all turned to me to say "the prayer". It was a tough one. We are sad but at peace.
HP, sorry to hear the sad news. I hope she does not suffer.

Mike.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:27 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,328 Posts
Quote:
Pssst,
Mike and Durk.
JIM !!!!....."Alcatraz"!!!!!!!! DOOOOD !!!!!!! That IS our old stomping grounds. WOW,,,,.. now that brings back memories, huh Durk? They haven't changed a thing

So Jim, did you and the lovely Ladie enjoy San Fran? The cable cars? Put some more pics up in your blog

Mike.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:29 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,551 Posts
Thanks, Mike. I must say that it was a comforting sight to see that my aunt looked exceptionally peaceful and comfortable. She was in a deep sleep and didn't wake during our visit. Needless to say, my mom and my uncles didn't see that. All they could see was a helpless departing sister. I, on the other hand, have seen enough people on hospice to tell whether a person is suffering or not. So, I kept reassuring mom that she's comfortable. I'm glad that message got across, because that's the way mom has been talking about her today. Just pray that the Lord will gently take my aunt in her sleep.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:32 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,244 Posts
HP,
I'm sorry I didn't post earlier. I am still catching up.
We are thinking about you and wish you all the best. These times are hard.
Jim
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:34 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
JIM !!!!....."Alcatraz"!!!!!!!! DOOOOD !!!!!!! That IS our old stomping grounds. WOW,,,,.. now that brings back memories, huh Durk? They haven't changed a thing

So Jim, did you and the lovely Ladie enjoy San Fran? The cable cars? Put some more pics up in your blog

Mike.
I will post more in my blog...sooner or later. Everything was great.
It was my wife, son, my mom, my cousin and myself.
The cousin that came along has his sister there in Berkeley. We saw a lot.
Right now I'm just thnking about the ribs I'm smoking tomorrow
Jim
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:01 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,328 Posts
I only had about 3 or 4 days before we shoved off. Had a lot of fun. Funny you mention Berkeley. In the early 70's there used to be a lot of "sidewalk" vendors selling all kinds of stuff,,,..arts, etc...right off the campus and downtown. Here is a blast from the past. Hand made leather belt with hand stamped embroidery around the entire belt. Note the solid brass flower belt buckle..."Flower Power" baby The belt will be 40 years old in May Now that's when quality was quality I think I paid $15.00 for it
Believe it or not, it was a beautiful belt. It had different colors in the stamped embroidery..

Mike.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,328 Posts
Quote:
I will post more in my blog...sooner or later. Everything was great.
It was my wife, son, my mom, my cousin and myself.
The cousin that came along has his sister there in Berkeley. We saw a lot.
Right now I'm just thnking about the ribs I'm smoking tomorrow
Jim
Sounds good !!!