Old Nov 24, 2011, 09:48 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,668 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving Lee!

... and all others as well of course!

erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tools, Tools, Tools ...
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2011, 09:54 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,059 Posts
Thanks my friend. Don't ya work too hard today. I am leaving in a sec to go see my family. Woot. Been a long time. Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:16 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,687 Posts
Yes, I echo what Lee said. I am also thankful for all my friends here on RCG, among other things. I've only been on the group for a few short months, and I have already met many new friends all across the country and even all across the world. This has been a new experience, and a mighty good one I might add. So, thank you, guys, and dolls, and one bull. Enjoy your thanksgiving, wherever you are and whatever you do. Be safe. God bless.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:35 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
7,038 Posts
Happy Thanksgivind to my American friends and RC Group members.

My mouth is watering thinking of all the good food on the tables at the Thanksgiving meal. Anyone wish to send me a piece of homemade pumpkin pie with real whipped cream on top please do so LOL!

However since the mailman may eat it before I would get it I will accept a picture here in this thread.

frieslander is online now Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:30 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
7,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
Since it gets dark much sooner in this time of year, I decided to shoot a little vid of my SAR RC boat in the dark, with working position lights:
Nice vid, I used to run my tug at night too and turn the lights on and off, lots of fun.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 04:09 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frieslander View Post
Nice vid, I used to run my tug at night too and turn the lights on and off, lots of fun.
Thanks for the comments. I suppose you noticed in the vid I switched the search light on and off, later in the vid, right?

Considering how much fun it adds, I might consider re-instating the lights on the small fireboat as well, the lightbulbs and wires are still there, but these are not connected to any battery. I used to have one remotely operated switch for the position lights, and one for searchlight and blue flashlight. The flashlight was made to flash using a small bi-metal installation from an old car. You had to adjust a small screw to get it to work at the voltage you were connecting it to. Nowadays even small toys have tiny circuit boards that do the same.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Nov 25, 2011, 01:39 AM
Fix, Fix, Fly, Fix, Fix, Fly
Colorado
Joined Apr 2009
635 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving! Most of you are probably in a turkey induced coma by now...

Ethan
mountainsax is offline Find More Posts by mountainsax
Old Nov 25, 2011, 01:04 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsax View Post
Happy Thanksgiving! Most of you are probably in a turkey induced coma by now...

Ethan
WHAT? COME AGAIN? I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. And that's no Bull...

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:52 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,254 Posts
For Frieslander and other boat loving people:

And a little video (I will upload it to Vimeo in a few days, have to wait before I can upload another HD file there): http://www.mijnbestand.nl/Bestand-66MIHP74EAXT.m2ts
Old Nov 26, 2011, 04:17 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
7,038 Posts
WOW some nice shots there with the water flying all over. Did you use a telephoto lens for those shots?
Old Nov 26, 2011, 04:45 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,254 Posts
Quote:
WOW some nice shots there with the water flying all over. Did you use a telephoto lens for those shots?
Thanks. I enjoyed "fighting the waves" this way. This boat has been in a little bigger waves years ago, but still today was also pretty nice. Afterwards water droplets were even on the top windscreen, near the control stand, and the little boat dummy on the back also had some water in it. But the hull was as dry as before, despite all this "flying water".

I didn't use a very special setup, just a regular Panasonic TZ10, which is basically a decent point and shoot camera, but one that the manufacturer fitted with a good lens (LEICA) and pretty good auto focus system. I zoomed in a little, to get a bigger image of the boar, and then take these pictures while holding the camera with only my right hand, and operating the transmitter with the left hand. Still most of the shots turn out pretty steady somehow.

Were you able to see the video as well?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:34 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
I watched your video and that was certainly choppy water
It has a good turn of speed especially in water so rough.
Nice pictures and good video
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:47 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
7,038 Posts
No I did not get a chance to view the video untill this morning, boy that boat moves and bounces.

My tugboat would just plow through those waves without bouncing as much. I have run it in heavy waves with the water just swamping the decks and running out the scuppers. Of course my boat is much heavier than your boat.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 01:45 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,244 Posts
Ok so...not boat talk but just curious.

What are you guys flying nowadays?
I no longer have the Lama 4 that got me into all this mess.
Some of you guys are into planes and bigger helis.
I actually "took a step back" and am flying my S107 and Mini Chinook.
Maybe I'm getting old but I like the Chinook's slow flying better than the modified S107 fast flying. I also still have my Belt CPX that I fly once in a great while when I feel like leaving my cave.

Jim
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp
Old Nov 27, 2011, 01:56 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
I watched your video and that was certainly choppy water
It has a good turn of speed especially in water so rough.
Nice pictures and good video
Thanks! I have sailed it in even choppier water before, but that was about 20 years ago, and I didn't have a digital camera back then.

Actually the speed is still somewhat faster in a video I shot a little before the one I uploaded. The battery came fresh from the charger so it's voltage was a little higher the first minutes on the water, resulting in even higher speed. But since the waves were a little better in the later vids (the wind was gaining in strength as I was sailing my boat) I decided to upload the other vid first.

Quote:
No I did not get a chance to view the video untill this morning, boy that boat moves and bounces.

My tugboat would just plow through those waves without bouncing as much. I have run it in heavy waves with the water just swamping the decks and running out the scuppers. Of course my boat is much heavier than your boat.
Different hulls, different behavior. A tug has a hull that wants to push the water away, and if the water can't be pushed back, it goes up and eventually swamps the decks. Also a cool sight, at least if you took precautions to avoid water entering the hull from above.

Certainly, your boat will be heavier, mine is 2.5 kg with all batteries on board. Also, the Paul Denker uses a hull design that the Germans call a "halbgleiter". It can't fully get out of the water like a speedboat does, but it can cut through waves well with speed, and keep the bow on top of the wave, if it is not too big. Check this vid for some amazing action of this type of ship out on the seas:

DGzrS Flotte (0 min 59 sec)

Edit: here's the vid when the battery was still fresh: http://www.mijnbestand.nl/Bestand-Q8YUE7Y4ECOA.m2ts

To make an estimate of the speed, check the cars on the background accelerating from a traffic light. These are probably doing about 20 km/h or so at the point in the road, and appear a little faster than the boat.
Last edited by SoloProFan; Nov 27, 2011 at 02:31 PM.