HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2011, 11:24 AM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Discussion
First flight of the Solo Pro

Well after managing to get it to hover, manually setting the trims and making repairs after my wife "had a go", here she is on her maiden flight round the garden

Best watched at 720p in full screen cos the heli is a tiny dot otherwise
Nine Eagles Solo Pro (1 min 39 sec)

It handles the breeze better than my Big Lama but only just, due to it being significantlty smaller I have room for thinking even in my meagre 40ft x 40ft garden

Indoors I can get it to hover hands free, sweet
Right now where's my wallet I'm going to run out and buy a 700 nitro

Just kiddin' Jasmine, I'm not doing that til next week
TeeJayBee is offline Find More Posts by TeeJayBee
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2011, 06:13 PM
United Kingdom, England, Witham
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
Your Area says Swansea but your wife sounds more London or the home counties
Essex2visuvesi is offline Find More Posts by Essex2visuvesi
Old Mar 26, 2011, 06:14 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,075 Posts
Why not? Get the 700 if you can afford it, and then get some in-person training. I think you'll find that the bigger helis are a little easier to fly. People used to fly helis back in the 80s and 90s... we didn't have simulators, and we didn't have anything smaller than a Trex 600. The way you learned was to go out and try to skid the thing around on the training legs until you got the hang of it, then go a little higher and try different things until you learned.

Thankfully we have better options these days, but I think you can take it too slow these days with all the progressive options out there. I think with proper simulator practice and a little in-person help, a person can progress to larger 3D helis in their first year. But... two fortune cookies make the problem clear...

"There are many paths to the mountain peak, but the view is still the same"

"It is not the destination which is important, but the journey"

So... you have a clear goal in mind, that you want to fly some kind of aerial photography platform. You can have a lot of fun on the way, learning to fly different kinds of aircraft and taking it slow. Or, you can do a lot of work, be very focused, and learn to fly your "goal" aircraft only. When I learned, I pretty much went straight to the Trex 450 - flew a coaxial for about week before that. So, I learned to fly quickly, but I didn't have a lot of fun with that path - later on, I went back and picked up some 'fun helis' like the mCX, and I continue to fly planes too. That is just my personal style though - everyone has their own path - we all end up in the same places.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Mar 26, 2011, 07:10 PM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Cheers Jasmine
I've been thinking along the lines of a 500/550 as they're apparently good for learning with
I do enjoy the flying side of it as well and don't want to move straight onto a quad/hex, I'd prefer to fully learn to fly a heli first, well when I say fully I mean right up to just before 3D acrobatics, I don't really want to do that stuff but I want to be fully competent with a heli like it's second nature
So I may well get a 500 and training kit, I have access to plenty of fields where there's no people or property to damage, I also think that it's possible a 500 could easily carry a camera and be set up to be fairly learner friendly, though if/when it came to event videography I think I'd fall back to a quad, mainly due to the extra safety in redundancy features (ie, it can still come down reasonably safely even if one motor/esc failed)

So maybe a 500, training set and Phoenix Sim, what do you think
Old Mar 26, 2011, 07:12 PM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex2visuvesi View Post
Your Area says Swansea but your wife sounds more London or the home counties
Yes, the good lady is indeed from Kent
I myself originated in Loughton, Essex, we're gradually educating the Welsh to speak properly
Old Mar 26, 2011, 07:14 PM
Heli of a man
Joined Dec 2010
835 Posts
Nice flying, thanks for sharing the video.
Enguneer is offline Find More Posts by Enguneer
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:19 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,075 Posts
That's funny - I'm a fan of the shows MI-5 and Dr. Who. One of the ads for the BBC America says something about "if you want to hear your own language spoken correctly"

Yes, I have a Trex 500 - it's very nice. They are stable and fun to fly... good with scale flying. Here's me flying two different 500s...

Trex 500 at Arvada Modelers Club (4 min 59 sec)

Airwolf Maiden Flight (4 min 6 sec)
Old Mar 27, 2011, 03:29 AM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
What do you think of one of these as a starter 500....

http://www.spider450.com/500aw_info_page_7.html

Spider 500AW / Spider 500 - The most stable 500 heli available! (2 min 39 sec)
Old Mar 27, 2011, 05:01 AM
United Kingdom, England, Witham
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupid Stunt View Post
Yes, the good lady is indeed from Kent
I myself originated in Loughton, Essex, we're gradually educating the Welsh to speak properly
Pronounced LAAAH TAN by the locals lol

Former Essex boy here too, from near Chelmsford now living in the middle of a forest in Finland

Id certainly look at 500 size plus if you have the space to fly it, much more stable, but on the down side much more when you have the "Oh I just correct tha.... CRUNCH" moment
Essex2visuvesi is offline Find More Posts by Essex2visuvesi
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:30 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupid Stunt View Post
What do you think of one of these as a starter 500....

http://www.spider450.com/500aw_info_page_7.html
I tend to stick with the regular brands, so I don't know much about it. Seems to be a special low-power 500 - runs on half the usual voltage. Some people hold the opinion that lower head speeds allow more stability - this isn't true. What it does is lengthen the reaction time of the head - so it looks more stable because it can't do anything quickly, but what it's really like is a reduction in control. I don't personally like it, but some people do. It is cheaper because you're only running half-size batteries - but I would be concerned about the payload capacity and ability to punch out of trouble.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:37 AM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
I tend to stick with the regular brands, so I don't know much about it. Seems to be a special low-power 500 - runs on half the usual voltage. Some people hold the opinion that lower head speeds allow more stability - this isn't true. What it does is lengthen the reaction time of the head - so it looks more stable because it can't do anything quickly, but what it's really like is a reduction in control. I don't personally like it, but some people do. It is cheaper because you're only running half-size batteries - but I would be concerned about the payload capacity and ability to punch out of trouble.
Thanks Jasmine
There's always a catch eh ?

I also saw a 3DX 500 for sale with a Spektrum DX6i which apparently runs 22v or can be used with two 11.1v batteries
It's very cheap so I may just opt for that one for now and upgrade later ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:23 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,075 Posts
The 500 is popular because many people do step up from 3-cell helis and so they can double up the batteries they already have. But yes there is always a trade-off in some way. Capability and performance are a trade-off with flight time and stability. An aircraft which is too stable won't be able to maneuver, but if it has no stability it becomes uncontrollable - so you always have to find a middle ground and it's hard to get the ultimate everything.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 02:13 PM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Hmmm
I'm guessing here stability is of major importance to me but agility to get out of that "uh oh the ground is closing too fast" moment would be very usefull too

So, am I right in thinking a properly set up 500 with Flymentor (or similar) aboard might be best ?

PS
Just had fun out in the garden with the Solo, managing to get it up to speed now
Old Mar 27, 2011, 02:40 PM
Bournemouth - UK
Joined Feb 2009
204 Posts
Hey,

Have you managed to find a club near you yet? the BMFA cover us here in the UK both from an insurance perspective and a club perspective.. Check out the website and see if there is anything near you.

Flying a small indoor vs a 500 cp is quite a jump- perfectly manageable though.

I dont recommend a fly mentor or any other aid until you are sure you cant fly ;-)

Re the right bird well if you dont get a trex you will wonder why you didn't and if you do you will eventually work out it's a touch more expensive than a clone. This hobby is not about cheap.

Get a good charger my current fav is cellpro 10s. Try to future proof yourself and budget about 100.

Join a club it's the best move you can make.
hedgeheli is offline Find More Posts by hedgeheli
Old Mar 27, 2011, 03:19 PM
Fly Safe !!
Cape Town
Joined Jul 2007
438 Posts
Let me be the one to open the can of worms !!

To learn on do not go bigger than a 450

My MAIN reason is that it is LOT safer to fly. The safety factor between 450 and 500 is huge. When things go wrong go wro g wrg on a 500 you do not really want to be arround and things GO wrong on all size heli's el cheapo's and the top end stuff.

Do yourself a favour and google rc heli accidents - quite an eye opener - for starters
Do yourself another favour - go to a nearby rc heli club.
porqui is offline Find More Posts by porqui