HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2003, 10:45 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,600 Posts
Well Dieter, at Devil Mountian you missed a lot of wind but if you had been there you could have given Brian Chan some competition in the two limited motor run competitions that he ran away with. A Pico Jet and a Viper Twin didn't stand a chance against his brushless gliders. Half Moon Bay had a bunch of pilots and about 150 planes. Lots of interesting stuff. Look for a brief review and pictures in an article coming soon to Ezone.
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2003, 11:03 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,608 Posts
Great event!!!!!

To everyone who helped organize this event, I was really impressed and had a great time. Unfortunately a last minute family event in the morning made me choose between models and family, and I'll do the family thing when I have to chose so by the time I was near Part II at Devil Mountain it was already noon and it was windy so I continued on to Reno (to meet some other obligations I had on the far end of the drive later in the day). At least I got to one of the events this year, that was a big goal met!!

There were many highlights for the Half Moon Bay event that I did get to attend. I arrived at 8:10 and the parking lot was already filling up! I was immediately struck with the high quality models lined up in the staging area. People brought out the good stuff. I left after 3:00pm and there were still a handfull of guys flying.

First, I don't think we had any shoot downs - the radio compound was good. They limited the total number of pilots to 10 at a time. Only in the morning did I have to go on the waiting list to fly a couple times. I think Kyle's Zero was scraped slightly by a passing (in the same direction) hotliner as many heared a "pop" but both planes kept flying as if nothing happened. Other than that I didn't notice any big yard sale mid airs.

Everyone was flying very responsibly yet there was plenty of "solid" flying routines to watch too. Lots of really nice big ROG models. Biplanes of new and old vintage really flew some great routines and looked absolutely stunning. EDF - Jepe F-16 with a very nice flight routine comes to mind, a Mig-21, F-14 Tomcat on display, as well as a few others. Scale (lots of scale, from Ford Trimotors to Big Hangar 9 P-51 formation pairs to gigantic World Models 80" Zeros on Lipos). Only a couple pylon speedsters, but they flew, several speed 400 scale too, and great 3D flying demos. Lipo packs were the emerging power of choice for the longer and more spectacular flights, but everyone had fun, even the nicad packs

I wish I could have come to the Devil Mountain part, but again, it was a last minute changeup. This was a very nice event and I'd really like to come again next year. It seemed like there was a really good turnout. I hesitate to guess at the numbers so I'll let the guys tell the story by the facts. I believe the Ezone will be offering coverage of the event soon. As well, one writer from the new "Fly RC" magazine was there covering the event.

Thanks again guys, I had a GREAT time!!
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eddie P; Sep 29, 2003 at 11:07 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 09:38 AM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,233 Posts
I had a great time in Half Moon Bay too ....but you forgot one of the highlights! What about that guy with the superb PSA Bae-146? Everyone loved it!

Great finish on all of your models. That's the first time I've seen these in person and they look awesome. A friend of mine wouldn't believe me that there's foam inside them. BTW, I'm especially fond of the P3.

Steve C
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Sep 30, 2003, 10:29 AM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,710 Posts
Great, I'l look forward to the review. -- We're lucky in that it appears we'll be dodging the weather bullet at our Equinox Electrics this weekend. Looks like calm days with temps in the 70s to 80.

Dieter Mahlein
http://shredair.com
ShredAir is online now Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Sep 30, 2003, 11:30 AM
KLH
Pack Rat
Hayward CA / Valley Springs CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,779 Posts
Half Moon Bay was great as usual! For those of you who didn't attend the HMB or haven't had the pleasure of seeing some of Eddie P's' and Steve C's creations and watching them fly them you've missed one of this hobbies real treats.
Devil Mt. was also fun, but the wind Gods were upset for some reason and just a few of the very brave put there planes in the air.

Kern
KLH is offline Find More Posts by KLH
Old Sep 30, 2003, 11:46 AM
Los Altos, CA
Joined Sep 2001
607 Posts
I finally went through all the pictures I took at Half Moon Bay, and pulled out the best shots.

Here they are:

http://www.tedlarson.com/airplanes/hmb2003/index.htm

If you see a picture of your airplane that you really like, let me know, and I can email you a hi-res version of the photo that is suitable for printing.
I put 640x480 versions behind each of the thumbnails, in order to save some disk space, but still give better detail.

Lots of cool planes there this year!

Enjoy!

- Ted
TedLarson is offline Find More Posts by TedLarson
Old Sep 30, 2003, 12:54 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
What a great collection of models at this event. I looks like it was windy there as some of the picts showed ackward landings. Thanks for posting the link to your photos.

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old Oct 01, 2003, 12:55 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Jun 2000
5,597 Posts
Ted,

Thank you for posting the photos.

I hope everyone who was there enjoyed their stay and will be there next year.

The weather was a little cool and wet, but at least it is not hot.

Brian, an EAJ.
Bay Area Duo Organizing Team
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Oct 01, 2003, 02:02 PM
Concord, CA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
328 Posts
Devil Mountain

We were disappointed by the high winds, but seemed most people had a good time in spite of the spite of the wind. Guess we get spoiled in California, expecting every day to be perfect.

Any comments on the "seminar"?

Chuck
ChuckHHill is offline Find More Posts by ChuckHHill
Old Oct 01, 2003, 03:08 PM
KLH
Pack Rat
Hayward CA / Valley Springs CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,779 Posts
Chuck
I know that you and the rest of your club put in a lot of work to put this meet on each year and it's a shame about the wind, but regardless it's always fun. The only real disappointment I had this year was that my wife pulled the wrong ticket (as in not mine) out of the can for the "CUB".
Thanks again for a good time!

Kern
KLH is offline Find More Posts by KLH
Old Oct 01, 2003, 05:28 PM
Concord, CA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
328 Posts
Devil Mountain

Kern,

Thanks, It was fun for us too.

Chuck
ChuckHHill is offline Find More Posts by ChuckHHill
Old Oct 01, 2003, 06:28 PM
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,136 Posts
Kelvin
you can see the exciting landing of my Zero. We had 45-90 degree cross winds at times. It was a good day regardless. Always fun to go to Half Moon Bay -- only 45 mins from my house.

-- Kyle
kmashima is offline Find More Posts by kmashima
Old Oct 01, 2003, 06:45 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Jun 2000
5,597 Posts
At Devil Mtn, Chuch had a informal seminar to have all (but not all) pilots to bring their planes and give a short intro and QnA session. It was really good to do that.

Kyle,

You are welcome to come to HMB to fly. Let me know, I can let you in to fly but we as a club have more rules than RSA. 3D flying ok but on the runway. All flying must done 50 ft to the west of the runway. Club policy stated three times as guest and you will need to be a member.

see PAM for details.

Brian, an EAJ
Newsletter Editor of Peninsula Aeromodelers PAMphlet.
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Oct 01, 2003, 07:05 PM
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,136 Posts
Brian
thanks for the offer. I'll have to find a nice weekend.

I know about rules -- I'm a Tomcats member. Those 3D guys are so annoying.

-- Kyle
kmashima is offline Find More Posts by kmashima
Old Oct 01, 2003, 11:32 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kmashima
Kelvin
you can see the exciting landing of my Zero. We had 45-90 degree cross winds at times. It was a good day regardless. Always fun to go to Half Moon Bay -- only 45 mins from my house.

-- Kyle
I was wondering about that photo of your Zero landing. It looks like one of the landing gear collapsed. Must have been pretty strong winds to push it around like that. I don't know if I would have had the nerve to fly my Kyosho Spit if I had been there.

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin