Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Fish99, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 07:13 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Thanks for that pic Bonnie! Good idea on the shortening of the lever arm...

I was wondering how hard would it be to modify the plane to use 2200 mAh packs? I have a few of those for my 450 Helicopter, and read somewhere that some people are performing this mod... Maybe this is something best left to if/or I upgrade the motor and ESC... I may just decide to leave it stock as it may fit my flying area best.
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2011, 09:31 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
Thanks for that pic Bonnie! Good idea on the shortening of the lever arm...

I was wondering how hard would it be to modify the plane to use 2200 mAh packs? I have a few of those for my 450 Helicopter, and read somewhere that some people are performing this mod... Maybe this is something best left to if/or I upgrade the motor and ESC... I may just decide to leave it stock as it may fit my flying area best.
I am using ZIPPY 2200 packs from HobbyKing and Blue Lipo 2200 pack from HobbyPartz.com and both fit in my stock mustang without any cutting of foam and have make almost no difference on CoG. Haven't tried the Parkzone or Turnigy 2200's as they are bigger in size, so might need a hair of foam trimming under the canopy to fit. That said, I get great performance and endurance from the Zippy's and Blue's so have no need.

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:22 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
No mods..? You're lucky those packs are like that!

I have 6 Nanotech 2200 packs for my 450 Heli. After some reading on the big +500 page PZ P-51 thread, it seems I may have to do the mod....

What's the ideal way to hinge the rudder? It seems the best way would be to slot the mating ends and glue in some real pin hinges. I have a JR DS-235 servo kicking around that I plan to use.

What about the Vertical stab? It seems rather than use tape to tape it on, it would be better to just glue it on with gorilla or similar glue.. Is this correct?

Thanks for all the help.. I have been reading the thread, but man it's a lot of stuff to have to go through...
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:09 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
No mods..? You're lucky those packs are like that!

I have 6 Nanotech 2200 packs for my 450 Heli. After some reading on the big +500 page PZ P-51 thread, it seems I may have to do the mod....

What's the ideal way to hinge the rudder? It seems the best way would be to slot the mating ends and glue in some real pin hinges. I have a JR DS-235 servo kicking around that I plan to use.

What about the Vertical stab? It seems rather than use tape to tape it on, it would be better to just glue it on with gorilla or similar glue.. Is this correct?

Thanks for all the help.. I have been reading the thread, but man it's a lot of stuff to have to go through...
I have used HINGE TAPE on both my rudder and elevator, but I would agree, the optimum fix is to cut it complete free then put in pin hinges. I did a rudder mod to my PZ Spitfire and LOVE how the pin hinges work. I would do that again on both elevator and rudder if I needed to fix them. For now the hinge tape is holding up great, so no need to "fix" it yet.

Not sure what you mean by the Vertical Stab? The tail is molded one piece, though you could cut off the rudder and re-attach it with hinges or ca hinges, but the actual Vertical Stab would still be molded to the body.

If you are talking about the horizontal stab that slides into place, I would NOT glue it with GG or CA or some other thing, as if you ever want or need to get it out it will be a bear, or be damaged. The little clear tape strips the model comes with work great. Otherwise just cut a bit of hinge tape and secure both sides, top and bottom, and you're in business. Holds it perfectly in place, no issues. (You may someday either damage it or want to paint it, in either case this will be easier for you.)

Good luck, and I know what you mean about the main thread, it's huge.

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:46 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Oh you are so right.... I was thinking about the Horizontal stab, and it makes sense why it's taped in place now that you mention it. Thanks for straightening me out on that.

I may explore the pinned hinges...
Old Apr 26, 2011, 01:06 AM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
549 Posts
I've used all different types and sizes of batteries in my P51. The 2200mAH Nano Techs fit OK but IMO they are a little too big! Anyway.......after 8 minutes of hard flying my brain needs time to re-focus. The 1600mAH or 1800mAH give me the best of both worlds.
The tape on the horizontal stab is fine and after 100+ flights, crashes and hard landings mine hasn't moved at all.
With the vertical stab I strengthened it with Blenderm tape and did the "strip of cable tie" mod at the base to stop it ripping.
As Marlin mentioned. This plane has incredible endurance and some of my earlier crashes would have seen the end of many a lesser plane!

* On my previous reply I said I shortened the servo arms. I actually meant I shorten the horns on the ailerons once I have set them to bottom hole
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Last edited by bonnie9496; Apr 26, 2011 at 01:12 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 07:17 AM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Bonnie, I assumed you ment the horns as thats what looked shortened :-)

What is this "strip of cable tie" ?

Thanks for the comment on the 2200... It's just that I have a few of these packs.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 08:48 AM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
549 Posts
Viper, check this cable tie (zip tie)mod out on Youtube

http://youtu.be/ne7YgE3EpOM

It was an easy mod and I didn't have to undo anything until it fell apart. Of course hinges would be great as well
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Old Apr 26, 2011, 06:13 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
That is a great option, Thanks Bonnie!