HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Fish99, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 12:01 AM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,529 Posts
Discussion
Parkzone P51-D Gunfighter Brushless

Folks,

I have NO IDEA why it has taken me this long to do up this video. My wife picked up the Parkzone P-51D Gunfighter, brushless foamy, for me back in August of 2010. I flew the heck out of it all summer / fall and even a few times this winter and love this plane. It handles wind MUCH better than any other plane I have. It is rock steady in flight, going exactly where you point it, and pretty much flys inverted as good as it does normal!

I have done up a couple videos for it, and posted to Youtube, but never did put in a blog entry. Well tonight I edited up the Unbox / Build video, and going to do up the CRASH video next. I will also post links to all of my FLIGHT videos in the COMMENTS section, as there are a couple.

NOTE: CRASH VIDEO is now editted and uploaded, see comments for the link.

This is a great plane, and VERY cheap. The only mods I have done to it are the rudder mod, right out of the box, and early winter I dropped in the Trojan prop and a 30 A ESC to get a bit more speed. It is a beauty.

Marlin

Parkzone Mustang Build (8 min 10 sec)
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Last edited by Fish99; Mar 26, 2011 at 12:49 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2011, 12:04 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,529 Posts
Windy day flying with the P-51 Gunfighter from Parkzone

Here is a vid of about my 3rd or 4rth flight of the Mustang in a pretty darn windy day. As you will see, it handles the wind like a champ, NO ISSUES! I even did a bit of stunt flying without any concerns. I really enjoy flying this baby, it's sooooo predictable and stable.

Marlin

Windy Day Flying of the PZ P-51 bl Mustang (5 min 30 sec)
Old Mar 26, 2011, 01:10 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,529 Posts
Crash Video - Parkzone P51 D Mustang Gunfighter

Well, better late than never as they say. Finally got around to editting up the crash video from September of 2010! All was going good, even got some nice inverted flying in (my son had the camera zoomed way out so it did not show up on the vid hardly so is on the cutting room floor as they say) before things went bad.

Tried to show off for the camera with some low and slow flying, but completely miss-judged how far away it was and struck some trees on the end of the flying field while coming around for a second low/slow pass! Clean break of the nose was the only damage. Some tooth pics and 5 min epoxy and I had it flying the next day, as good as new. (You really can't even tell where it was broken.)

Great plane, HORRIBLE flying!

Marlin

Parkzone Mustang Crash caught on video (4 min 20 sec)
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:30 AM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Great attitude after the tree incident! You're a champ!
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:46 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
Great attitude after the tree incident! You're a champ!
Thanks again, what are you gonna do, completely my fault on that one, so all you can do is smile and fix it! No biggy, we all mess up once in a while, just part of the hobby. Always like to make sure I set the example for my boys as well, that if you mess up, you own it and fix it then move on. Figured he learned a bit about that by watching me, as he knows just how much I love this hobby and my aircraft. Good kid, coming out to video his dad crashing his plane and not even teasing me about it ... gotta love it.

Take care and hope Saskatoon has less snow than us right now!

Marlin
Old Mar 29, 2011, 01:22 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Wise words indeed! That sound like you have great kids
Old Apr 23, 2011, 07:53 PM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
546 Posts
Nice video, unfortunate crash.....but nice attitude!
The P51D Gunfighter is an awesome plane and tough as nails. It is my favourite to just "throw around". After about 80 flights on mine I added the Eflite Power 10 motor and 30amp ESC but still run a 9x6 prop using a 1600mAH or 1800mAH 3s. Now pulls 287watts at WOT. Great for unlimited vertical climbs from the deck. The extra weight helps and I fly mine in 20mph + winds without issue!
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Old Apr 23, 2011, 11:54 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie9496 View Post
Nice video, unfortunate crash.....but nice attitude!
The P51D Gunfighter is an awesome plane and tough as nails. It is my favourite to just "throw around". After about 80 flights on mine I added the Eflite Power 10 motor and 30amp ESC but still run a 9x6 prop using a 1600mAH or 1800mAH 3s. Now pulls 287watts at WOT. Great for unlimited vertical climbs from the deck. The extra weight helps and I fly mine in 20mph + winds without issue!
Thanks bonnie! I really enjoy flying this plane as it's rock solid in winds that ground most of my other planes, and flys as good inverted as normal! I have upgraded to a 30A ESC and the Trojan prop, and it's a nice little hop up, but have been thinking hard about the Power10 or Monsterpower10 from Hobbypartz or G10 from Hobby King just to give it more OMPH! Put a Monsterpower 15 in my ME109 and it is WICKED fast!

Marlin
Old Apr 24, 2011, 03:16 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
I have been waffeling between this Parkzone P-51 and the Banana Hobbies 63" P-51.... This Parkzone won out and I ordered mine today from Hobby Alley.

I decided to go this route first as it would not require as much to get going, and allows me to fly at a park at the end of my street, where as the 63" P-51 would require me to go to the flying field due to the size and retracts (requiring a smooth take-off landing surface). I'm looking forward to this.

So Should I look at the Power 10 upgrade before I go buy more standard 1300 mhA batteries?
Old Apr 24, 2011, 03:23 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
I have been waffeling between this Parkzone P-51 and the Banana Hobbies 63" P-51.... This Parkzone won out and I ordered mine today from Hobby Alley.

I decided to go this route first as it would not require as much to get going, and allows me to fly at a park at the end of my street, where as the 63" P-51 would require me to go to the flying field due to the size and retracts (requiring a smooth take-off landing surface). I'm looking forward to this.

So Should I look at the Power 10 upgrade before I go buy more standard 1300 mhA batteries?
I have been flying my PZ P-51 with the stock motor for almost a year and I still love it. I did put in the 30A esc / Trojan prop as an easy upgrade, and it does improve the speed a bit. There are a TON of folks who have hopped up the P-51 with Power 10's, 15's and other motors, all on the main PZ P-51 Brushless thread.

If I were you I would take it out stock and fly it a couple times. You will know if you "have a need for speed" or not then. I just love flying this plane because it is SOOOO stable, and handle wind like an absolute CHAMP! I fly it inverted without issues in winds that ground EVERY ONE of my other aircraft! It's just that nice an airframe.

Great choice on the PZ plane. It's a bit smaller, and a belly lander, but with the stock motor I fly it at the local park and (one accident aside) can keep it low and right in front of me without any issues. It's a hoot, good performance, not so fast you need a BIG area, but fast enough to impress and look good.

Good luck and let us know how the maiden goes!

Marlin
Old Apr 24, 2011, 03:56 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Great Marlin! Thanks, I'll hold off on the upgrades until I've flown it a few times. I only picked up one spare pack as I knew 1 would not be enough, however I didn't want to get too many 1300 mAh packs knowing I would need more capacity if I upgraded.

Your video was what sold me on it as it seems to fly with enough speed in the park, that looks to be similar in size to mine.

I'll be sure to post my maiden of this great plane,
Old Apr 25, 2011, 05:39 AM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
546 Posts
Viper.....Marlin is right. The stock plane flies great and the 30AMP ESC and Trojan prop an easy 1st upgrade. The power 10 can easily follow. I rarely fly mine at WOT with the power 10 setup however the extra "power is nice to have on hand :-)The wind penetration is also notably improved with the heavier setup. The best battery to buy, even with the stock setup is the 1600mAH. I use Turnigy Nano Tech 3s 1600mAH 25-50c. This battery provides 8 min + flight times with standard P51 setup and with Power10 about 6min depending on throttle
You'll love this plane!
A great tip I got off RC groups and use is I have added some small glider skids to protect the servos under the wings.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 06:03 AM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Thanks for those recommendations Bonnie! I'll get the 1600 mAh packs then. Would you have a link or picture of the skids so I know what to look for and how they insatll?

I'm very excited for this now as it seems everyone indicates the plane is a good flyer!
Old Apr 25, 2011, 07:27 AM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
546 Posts
The skids I purchased from Hobby King. Note I also shortened the servo arms to further reduce stripping the gears.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:17 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie9496 View Post
The skids I purchased from Hobby King. Note I also shortened the servo arms to further reduce stripping the gears.
What a nice looking skid mod! Have to look for those on HK! Thanks for that.

Marlin