Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 11, 2003, 07:55 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Oct 2000
1,030 Posts
Power for VK sopwith Camel

Any ideas what would be a good power system for a VK / Proctor Sopwith Camel, specs are Span, 56" wing area 931 sq in. listed weight 6 lbs for 48-70 eng. I think I will be able to shed some weight but not much the kit is pretty light as is. I would also like to keep the amp draw down so I can use Lipos without having to buy a $300.00 battery.

Thanks guys.
flailing is offline Find More Posts by flailing
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2003, 04:25 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,687 Posts
Go to Tom Hunts site and look at his belt drive combos. OK they are heavy - but in a camel thats no bad thing.

The last thing a camel needs is a whiny gearbox, but it does like a big prop turning slowly, so DD outrunners are out really.

Hence belt drives.

At 50W/lb you need only 300W or so - pushing a mega 16/15 too far probably, but looking here http://www.modelairtech.com/combos.html there are some nice combos listed.

I'd say the 22/30/3 with the 3.6:1 belt drive, 15x10 prop and 4s4p e-tech 1200, or equivalent thunderpower pack is in the ballpark.

However you are likely to need the nosewieght, so 2600 or3000 class SUB C's maye be just as good. You need the amps to fly the plane!

Why not Give Tom a call? By reputation he is a very experienced and helpful guy.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Aug 12, 2003, 06:58 AM
United States, CT, Enfield
Joined Nov 2000
343 Posts
I'm using a Tom Hunt (ModelairTech) H-750 with a 2.4/1 ratio with a Mega 22/30/3 in my 61" Nieuport 17 on 10 cells. I tried the 3.6/1 and get low RPM and amp draw, this is too big a ratio for a motor with a Kv of ~1300.

With a plastic MAS 15-10 it turns ~5000 RPM at 32A for about 370W input. I am planning on trying a 16-10 or 17-10 when I can find one.

This plane has 838 in^2 on wing and is 6 lb 15 oz ready to fly. I haven't flown it yet (lots of rain lately), but have done some high speed taxing in my backyard and it has lots of power. The tail is up after 15-20 feet.

Paul
Paul is offline Find More Posts by Paul
Old Aug 12, 2003, 08:12 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,687 Posts
Mm. The way I feel that cells/KV/prop rpm relate is that you up the cell count to get the motor revving right in its own, in efficient mode.

Then you gear down as far as possible to get a big scalish prop. Frankly I don't care how slow it spins, as long as its big enough to pull the right amps, and has adequate pitch speed and thrust.

I've seen rubber models spinning enormous props at 100rpm or so, and climbing vertically upwards.

I think we are not far off a similar solution tho - using the 3s Lipolys its similar to 10 cells, and if you weren't pulling the amps on 3.6:1 a bigger prop would I am sure, sort things out. OTOH the original poster may not need as much power - if the plane is a pound lighter.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 11:12 AM
United States, CT, Enfield
Joined Nov 2000
343 Posts
Vintage,

I wanted to use 10 cells, so I decided to go with the 2.4/1 ratio.

When I ran the numbers for 10 cells with a 3.6/1 ratio the pitch speed seemed too low for my liking. You could definitely solve this problem with a higher pitched prop, possibly an almost square 15” 16”or 17” would do it. This would get the amps and pitch speed up where they should be. These sizes are hard to come by in the LHS’s though, and I am trying to stay away from the APC E-series only because they just don’t look right on a WW1 model.

Paul
Paul is offline Find More Posts by Paul
Old Aug 12, 2003, 08:47 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Oct 2000
1,030 Posts
With 10 cells I think I can keep the weight to 5 lbs or less. After reading more I am tempted to try an Endoplazma in a 6:1 Superbox and 16 x 10 prop on 10 cells.
flailing is offline Find More Posts by flailing
Old Aug 13, 2003, 04:35 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,687 Posts
I am sure that will fly...but the noise...the noise

A cheap belt drive that might work would be the olympus belt and a Magnetic Mayhem - thats not so hot a wind, and would suit the lower belt drive gear ratios. I have no specific info on that setup tho.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 12:19 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,732 Posts
Camel Power

A friend is flying a VK Neuport (sp) 17 with a 4-stroke Saito. 54 which is proabably equivalent to sport .40 2 stroke . I have a VK Camel that had a bad maiden flight but took off with authority on a K&B Sportster .65. BTW, I had to use four D-cell Nicads mounted in front of firewall with the Sportster to get balance 3" from leading edge of top wing. I plan to use a 13X8 prop when old Sportster is fully broken in. I'm told that the Camel is very sensistive to rudder and that you MUST use rudder plus aileron ( mix if possible) to turn the Camel. The Camel is supposed to be a "pussycat" when dialed in but needs to get its tail up and use rudder to keep it straight on take off. Also needs some power-on for landing.

Hope this helps with your e- conversion
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged