HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2011, 07:20 AM
Resistance is Futile
United States, FL, Panama City Beach
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
UHF TX module voltage?

Was reading the manual for this while I wait for it to get here and saw something a bit puzzling.

Quote:
Transmitter power suply range is 8.4-16V
When the voltage is less than 8.4V may result in decreased output power
Recommended to use three large-capacity lithium battery
I am having to modify the TX I am using for this module, (T9X) to provide power on pin #4 and most modules are using voltages in the 6v range. I may have to e-mail the maker for an answer but if 8.4-16v is accurate then I will need to put more than 6v on that pin?

I am also wondering if there is anyone that has any idea why this systems' receiver is labeled "18 CH UHF Receiver"? I hope it means daisy chaining them like the Sombra Labs receivers to get full 18 channel output.

Anyone got any more in depth info?

Thanks

Rob
camship is offline Find More Posts by camship
Last edited by camship; Apr 18, 2011 at 08:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2011, 09:54 AM
Joined May 2005
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camship View Post
Was reading the manual for this while I wait for it to get here and saw something a bit puzzling.

I am having to modify the TX I am using for this module, (T9X) to provide power on pin #4 and most modules are using voltages in the 6v range. I may have to e-mail the maker for an answer but if 8.4-16v is accurate then I will need to put more than 6v on that pin?

I am also wondering if there is anyone that has any idea why this systems' receiver is labeled "18 CH UHF Receiver"? I hope it means daisy chaining them like the Sombra Labs receivers to get full 18 channel output.

Anyone got any more in depth info?

Thanks

Rob
I did not notice that info
So it`s NOT plug`n play into my Futaba radio after all??
liteglow is offline Find More Posts by liteglow
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:05 AM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,072 Posts
I have a futaba 10cap that I power with a 3 cell lipo. Rmilec lrs is plug and play with it. No problems running at high power.
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:45 AM
Resistance is Futile
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Power for module

Just looked at the latest documentation I can find and the first few pages deal with the power supply voltage output from your TX to the module.

The first one in the list is the 10C and it shows 12v output on the power pin and the same for several others. Further down it shows illustrations of modifications to power supply of the TX to handle the increase in current properly. All basicly show a direct connection to the radio battery.

4047 UHF System Concise Manual 2

Well OK then, 12 volts it is.

Rob
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:00 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,665 Posts
If using a standard NiMH battery pack then it's never really 12V, but 11.x dropping down
to about 8.8 at the low voltage alarm. As long as the RmileC module has it's own regulator that
can maintain full output power down to input voltage of 8.4V it should be fine in the likes of the 10C, 9C etc.
You have to be careful using a 3S LiPo in a TX. Some of them have linear regulators
that can burn out when you're supplying a full 12.6V hot off the charger.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Apr 18, 2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:21 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,118 Posts
9x Pin OUT:

1 = Modulation Signal - PPM
2 = +4.13V
3 = +Vcc
4 = Gnd
5 = RF output

rmilec should be using 1, 3, and 4
so it gets 11v with a 3s lipo from pin 3.
its plug and play as far as i know.
wallaguest1 is offline Find More Posts by wallaguest1
Last edited by wallaguest1; Apr 18, 2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:36 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,960 Posts
What is the purpose of pin 2?
In a JR radio it is 6V
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Apr 18, 2011, 01:41 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,118 Posts
RENATOA i don't know, but that's the main problem if the turnigy 9x if you want use a JR module on it, you must provide 6v on the pin 2 so it work properly.

I wonder in what the hell FlySky engineers were thinking about when they made the design...
wallaguest1 is offline Find More Posts by wallaguest1
Old Apr 18, 2011, 03:49 PM
Joined May 2005
1,185 Posts
ahh.. it`s plug`n play after all

great!!
Old Apr 18, 2011, 04:02 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaguest1 View Post
RENATOA i don't know, but that's the main problem if the turnigy 9x if you want use a JR module on it, you must provide 6v on the pin 2 so it work properly.

I wonder in what the hell FlySky engineers were thinking about when they made the design...
JR was designed this way, it needs 6V on that pin to operate, but... wth will ever use a genuine FM module in this radio ?!!!
Because the 2.4GHz modules no more use that pin !!!
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Apr 20, 2011, 03:39 PM
Resistance is Futile
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Figures

Wonderful. Got my Module and receiver. Popped the module in and, nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

Hmm, wait, I have NO VOLTAGE on any pin but the signal pin. Open the case up and what do we find? Broken bits, pc board ripped from moorings and a screw, loose inside the case and a burned component smell.

Oh, nice, it looks as if someone stomped on the box with it inside. The module housing is pushed in and there are cracks all around the module socket that are only visible with the cover removed and looking at the inside.

Well, so I got a smashed radio and nothing to be done. I have had it in my possession for a few weeks already. I'll dig around and see what's burned up.

Guess it will be someone else that gets to tell you guys how well they work and if they are really compatible with the T9X. I got to get a new transmitter.

Later,

Rob
Last edited by camship; Apr 20, 2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:10 AM
Expert
Joined Mar 2007
83 Posts
Hello Cam!
Please post photos of module inside!
Much thx!
redsonic is offline Find More Posts by redsonic
Old Apr 21, 2011, 04:06 AM
Australia, WA, Carlisle North
Joined Jul 2008
1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camship View Post
Wonderful. Got my Module and receiver. Popped the module in and, nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

Hmm, wait, I have NO VOLTAGE on any pin but the signal pin. Open the case up and what do we find? Broken bits, pc board ripped from moorings and a screw, loose inside the case and a burned component smell.

Oh, nice, it looks as if someone stomped on the box with it inside. The module housing is pushed in and there are cracks all around the module socket that are only visible with the cover removed and looking at the inside.

Well, so I got a smashed radio and nothing to be done. I have had it in my possession for a few weeks already. I'll dig around and see what's burned up.

Guess it will be someone else that gets to tell you guys how well they work and if they are really compatible with the T9X. I got to get a new transmitter.

Later,

Rob
Hi Rob,

That sucks man, I thought It was bad when hobbyking didn't put everything in my order . I have the Eurgle 9x from r2hobbies,

http://www.r2hobbies.com/eng/proddet...ps2805003_mode

Which I liked because it doesn't have native 2.4Ghz. Also works with the JR synth modules so there shouldn't be any problem with the Rmilec 433 LRS.

Regards

Doug
spitfire_Doug is offline Find More Posts by spitfire_Doug
Old Apr 21, 2011, 06:46 AM
Resistance is Futile
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Oh What Fun!

Thanks Doug!

I was looking for a good replacement. I am using the ER9X firmware. I really like it so far from what I have seen of it's operation. Way better than the original supplied by Turnigy.

Strangely the TX still thinks everything is fine and is for all observation working correctly, just no output on the power pins, weird. I suppose I could "Hotwire" it and make it work. I have some lm78xx's I could use but I really would be uncomfortable using it for anything other than junker work.

Hope everyone else is having better fortunes with their systems.

I saw an update on the RMILEC website that mentioned that only Futaba modules are a true "drop-in" and that any other TX will need to be rewired to supply proper power. Kick me! I have Futaba radios everywhere! and a JR style module I bought for the T9X, AAAAAHH!

Isn't that nice? Guess they had some feedback from a few other folks that are having issues.

Have a great day all and keep 'em AGL!

Rob
Old Apr 21, 2011, 04:51 PM
Joined May 2005
1,185 Posts
I have mine in about 6 days