Very cool. Subscribed!
lendawg1 is offline Find More Posts by lendawg1
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2011, 01:58 PM
DS JUNKY
DA VALLEY, CA
Joined Jun 2004
1,451 Posts
My biggest concern would be a lipo fire while in flight. This would likely only happen if there is a short circuit some where. However with the amount of wire/connections you have there is a greater chance of that. Have you thought about building some kind of shielding/lipo bags or something just incase some of the lipos were were to vent to keep the heat and fire contained so as not to melt/flame any of the covering as well as to protect the pilot?
Z06kal is offline Find More Posts by Z06kal
Old Apr 22, 2011, 02:18 PM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
Each set of 3 battery packs will be between the 2nd and 3rd ribs out from the root and behind the spar. The ribs and spar will be protected with fire blanket material.

I mounted the batteries with the cell laminations vertical so that most venting and flames should go up or down.

From personal knowledge I know that the Lazair can be flown with the top covering missing on this wing bay and I believe that it would still be controllable with top and bottom panels missing on this wing bay. Tedlar film does not seem to propagate a flame so that the flames should only be local at the battery.

I am OK with this level of safety which I believe is much more that other electric aircraft that are currently flying with the batteries in a stressed skin wing whose composite structure burns easily (the 1/4 million dollar Antares) or in the nose where a fire would certainly involve the pilot (Espyder).

Thanks for showing concern.

Dale
KiloOne is offline Find More Posts by KiloOne
Last edited by KiloOne; Apr 22, 2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 02:28 PM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
And I store and charge in the fireplace!

With the damper open!
Old Apr 22, 2011, 03:07 PM
DS JUNKY
DA VALLEY, CA
Joined Jun 2004
1,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloOne View Post
Each set of 3 batteries will be between the 2nd and 3rd ribs out from the root and behind the spar. The ribs and spar will be protected with fire blanket material.

I mounted the batteries with the cell laminations vertical so that most venting and flames should go up or down.

From personal knowledge I know that the Lazair can be flown with the top covering missing on this wing bay and I believe that it would still be controllable with top and bottom panels missing on this wing bay. Tedlar film does not seem to propagate a flame so that the flames should only be local at the battery.

I am OK with this level of safety which I believe is much more that other electric aircraft that are currently flying with the batteries in a stressed skin wing whose composite structure burns easily (the 1/4 million dollar Antares) or in the nose where a fire would certainly involve the pilot (Espyder).

Thanks for showing concern.

Dale
Yes I'm glad you put consideration into it. With some thoughtfulness you can definitely prevent most foreseeable lipo failures from being catastrophic. Gasoline is far more dangerous in some ways as it can travel anywhere on the airframe and it's much harder to predict where the fire would actually happen.
Z06kal is offline Find More Posts by Z06kal
Old Apr 22, 2011, 09:59 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,166 Posts
Erm.. Seen this:
http://yuneeccouk.site.securepod.com/Aircraft.html

There is the possibility you are doing too little?... too late??
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:42 PM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Erm.. Seen this:

I am not sure if you have posted a statement or a question.

I think there is a possibility that you have not flown a true open cockpit ultralight at 25-30 mph.

The E430 you referenced is not comparable to what I am doing and even their Espyder is a 'fast' ultralight with a nose fairing.

As far as Yuneec is concerned, I have followed them from their very beginnings.

They have not demonstrated their 2 to 3 hrs endurance yet nor have they delivered any aircraft here (or in China I believe).

In any case I am not commercially in competition with them. I stated my goals at the beginning of this thread and if anyone duplicates my efforts they will have an electric ultralight for a fraction of the cost of even Yuneecs electric aircraft.

Also, if you would have crunched the numbers, you would have seen that I will have batteries of a higher watthrs/lb, a charging system with many times more capacity than theirs and motors that are lighter. And again, all of this at a fraction of their cost. Where is the too little or too late?

Dale
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:45 PM
Spoooooon!
San Fernando Valley, California, United States
Joined May 2003
3,791 Posts
Quote:
Erm.. Seen this:

Why do you say that? Do you think he plans on selling these and competing with the aircraft you linked?
TheTick is offline Find More Posts by TheTick
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Energic
Old Apr 23, 2011, 03:18 AM
DrV
Joined Jan 2006
226 Posts
Quote:
Erm.. Seen this:

I think there is a possibility of misunderstanding the goal, the concept, and the intention of this great project.

And possibly a touch of ignorance.....
DrV is offline Find More Posts by DrV
Old Apr 23, 2011, 03:46 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloOne View Post
I decided to bring my test stand home where I was working and the Prius was handy.
Oh boy, I bet that looked interesting on the drive home... Looks like a rocket powered Prius from a distance
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Apr 23, 2011, 11:42 PM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,494 Posts
Amazing project, After the success of the Cri Cri using 4 brushless motors im sure this will work. The Weiex just had its first test hope too !
OzparkPilot is online now Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:56 PM
Kissimmee, FL
Joined Mar 2001
123 Posts
Wow! Dale,

I just stumbled across your thread. This will be fantastic! I don't know if you remember me, but I first met you when my father and I were up in Canada and he bought your Super Floater. We manufactured the HummingBird ultralight. My Dad and have been flying electric models since before we were flying ultralights and have always wanted to electrify one. In fact I recently purchased an early HummingBird with the old Partner engines, as this was the lightest model to convert some day. However the Lazair is a much more efficient aircraft and I am certain you will have no problems achieving your goal. I will subscribe to your thread and closely watch your progress, and I look forward to seeing you and the eLazair at Oshkosh!

Sean Sweeney
Sean Sweeney is offline Find More Posts by Sean Sweeney
Old Apr 24, 2011, 05:12 PM
Colorado Springs
Joined Mar 2005
3 Posts
Electrification

Hi Dale, ED s and son Sean S both say Happy Easter.
Wehave thought many times to electrify our Hummingbirds. It is really doable. All we fly Rc are electrics. My biggest is 110", goes straight up, An Edge 540.
Call or write: aerocarv@aol.com.
AEROCAR is offline Find More Posts by AEROCAR
Old May 02, 2011, 07:38 AM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
Sean and Ed,

Sorry, I've been away from the internet for a week.

Good to hear from you. Trading my Super Floater for those 2 Partner engines was a big turning point in my life and directly lead me to design the Lazair.

Have you got any pictures from back then Ed? I am no longer in possession of all the pictures that have been taken along the way. I wish I had one of you leaving with the Super Floater strapped to your RV.

Dale
Old May 02, 2011, 08:01 AM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
Here is a little more on the charger power supply I used.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=457

And a picture of how I series connected the three independent sets of 2 supplies.