HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:27 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
near Nijmegen, Netherlands
Joined Feb 2001
10,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron van Sommeren View Post
The sensorless brushless SLS controllers donīt have startup issues, SLS uses a different principle, torque control. Check out the airplane and shovel (traction) videos. ...
New compact versions in the works:
translate__www.sinusleistungssteller.de
-> 19/01/2012: The SLS family has been expanded!

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
diy motor tipsDrive Calculator
diy motor groupCumulus MFC

Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:24 PM
Joined Mar 2012
5 Posts
Great to hear of Dale's commitment to bringing the eLazair into the hands of others. I would love to see others be exposed to and get to know this beautiful aircraft. Having flown a Rotax 185 powered Series 2 for hundreds of hours, I can truly imagine what it might be like soaring with an electric power plant. I had thought of this not long after I started flying mine that it could be an ideal candidate for such a type of propulsion. When hearing Dale's words after flying the conversion I felt inspired to get mine back into the air... with electric motors! Wow!

Thank you Dale for fulfilling and sharing your dream.
lazflyn is offline Find More Posts by lazflyn
Old Mar 20, 2012, 03:03 AM
Joined Nov 2006
2 Posts
Ultracapacitor (or Supercapacitor) can be an alternative to battery ?

I have found something like this today:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...rBKiC5VA%3d%3d

Provides 56V, and weighs up to 18kg (39.6lbs).
Two of these can be a viable alternative to Li batteries ?

Isao
isachan is offline Find More Posts by isachan
Old Mar 20, 2012, 04:38 AM
Expo/DualRates = Lack of Skill
San Diego, CA
Joined Mar 2009
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isachan View Post
I have found something like this today:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...rBKiC5VA%3d%3d

Provides 56V, and weighs up to 18kg (39.6lbs).
Two of these can be a viable alternative to Li batteries ?

Isao
These would only provide about 3 minutes of 90A current draw, where after 1― minutes they would be at about 20V.
typeRA is online now Find More Posts by typeRA
Old Apr 08, 2012, 03:15 PM
thomasville P.A.
Joined Sep 2004
225 Posts
makes me want e power
foamkiller is offline Find More Posts by foamkiller
Old Apr 08, 2012, 04:43 PM
To invent is nothing... But to fly is everything.
Joined Mar 2006
454 Posts
Foamkiller - is that a Fledgling hang glider in your avatar?
Lazflyn - thanks for the nice photos/sweet paint.
Dale - can you feel the difference in LD with the more low profile e-setup?
SlowAero is offline Find More Posts by SlowAero
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:21 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1 Posts
Thank you Dale! I just uncovered this thread a few days ago, and have become your most admiring student. I have been obsessed with the goal of e-powering my Wills Wing Falcon 195 hang glider for most of two years now, planning to use the Joby JMS1. Specifically, I'm wondering from whom I need to order the components which you have selected. I would be using a minimum carbon-graphite nacelle/ container which could be used with most popular harnesses with little or no mods. The components will be contained just behind the pilot's torso, so no changes to hang-point necessary. Small battery packs to deliver ten to fifteen min. throttle will deliver 2 or 3 launches to two-to three thousand feet, then ten minutes flying time in calm air, or much longer in thermal conditions. Anyway, that's the plan; thanks for all the work and testing you've done, and the expense. May you be richly rewarded for your achievements on the E-Lazair. your friend, Matt Hall
Matt Hall is offline Find More Posts by Matt Hall
Old May 01, 2012, 02:44 AM
Joined Apr 2012
1 Posts
Hi, what is lazair's glide ratio and other performance figures? Any idea how lazair fits into european "climate" of ultra regulations?
flybywaijeri is offline Find More Posts by flybywaijeri
Old May 07, 2012, 03:04 AM
Australia, NSW, Greta
Joined Aug 2011
10 Posts
Glide ratio

I have series 2 type with the smaller 100cc engines. It weighs 73KG empty. It has a L/D of 13 to 1 if not better. Sink is around 150 ft per minute. Wing is around 142 sq feet. Stall is under 20mph. Cruise @ 40mph. I get a climb rate of 200 ft per minute on a good day. I do better even in a light thermal. I weigh 60kg. i burn 4 litres per hour max power. The rotax 185 is more popular cruise and climb faster but burns more and is heavier as with series 3 airframe. Series 1 is around 63kg empty.
Not sure of the laws in Europe but I have seen similar weight aircraft like the Quicksilver and and powered flying wings (Aeriane?) flying in Italy.
regards
ozzie
Ozziedownunder is offline Find More Posts by Ozziedownunder
Old May 08, 2012, 06:44 PM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
May 2012 UPDATE

Hi everyone,

I will be updating soon with a youtube video of the battery BMS I have developed.

Yes I have a source for EIG cells but the source does not want to be bothered with inquiries for a few cells so sorry don't ask.

I am also sorry that I can not keep up with the forum questions due to how overloaded I am right now.

Current plans are to get the electric conversion kit for existing Lazairs into production first. Hope to be flying another converted Lazair at Ohskosh with the conversion kit on it and take orders then. Sorry no more details or price info right now.

Dale

ps If you really want to see some of my trials and tribulations on the BMS you can search my posts on the Pinguino forum, here http://forum.pinguino.cc/search.php?...7e33647f2186c3 These are all threads that I have started over there.
KiloOne is offline Find More Posts by KiloOne
Last edited by KiloOne; May 08, 2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old May 13, 2012, 03:13 PM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
VIDEO UPDATE

As promised, here is a video, worth many thousand words that I don't have time to write.

Sorry about low quality but you get the idea.

eLazair BMS (7 min 0 sec)

Dale
Old May 13, 2012, 05:22 PM
Canada, ON, Kincardine
Joined Feb 2009
517 Posts
Great to see the progress you are making.

I am very close to getting mine back in the air. Just need to replace a stripped engine mount nutplate.

Helno is offline Find More Posts by Helno
Old May 13, 2012, 07:34 PM
Australia, NSW, Greta
Joined Aug 2011
10 Posts
Dale will you have a engine nacelle suitable for converting the pioneer engine setup or will i have to redo the C/G as per rotax conversion?
maybe another trip to Oshkosh for me this year?
Ozziedownunder is offline Find More Posts by Ozziedownunder
Old Jun 10, 2012, 05:16 PM
Canada, ON, Kincardine
Joined Feb 2009
517 Posts
Any updates Dale? I have been getting quite a bit of flying in despite the winds around here.

Helno is offline Find More Posts by Helno
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:22 PM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
Ozzie,

CG should not change much for you, don't bother with Oshkosh, save your money to buy a conversion kit.

Helno,

Glad you are up and flying again. Looks good.

My new motors are a little behind, may not fly till end of month or so.

Here is a picture taken with a Flir IR camera of the BMS board balancing the cells while charging my RC pack at 5a.

Dale