HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:24 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1 Posts
Joby price increase

I just happened to check the Joby site today, and wow, have the prices ever shot up .. good to see you have an EIG source secured .. the ultralight e-drive market is ready, good luck
atosrider is offline Find More Posts by atosrider
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:16 PM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealFrosty View Post
Have you examined http://www.kickstarter.com for fund raising?
Thanks, but it looks like their average pledge is only $70 and the most common is $25.

For these pledges, the donor expects a reward of equal value to them. I can't think of may rewards of this value that would be possible with a $25,000 product.

Dale
KiloOne is offline Find More Posts by KiloOne
Old Jan 19, 2012, 07:40 AM
Joined Dec 2011
10 Posts
Interesting - so, this new E-lazair - is the airframe identical to the old model or will you put in some changes (I guess there must be stuff you'd want to do differently after 30 years).
Good luck with the project, IMHO the most accessible e-plane around, I reckon you have a good chance of kickstarting a whole new GA class.
Does this mean that the aviation authority has agreed with your battery volume is equivalent to fuel volume classification ideas?
Bob
bobc0 is offline Find More Posts by bobc0
Old Jan 19, 2012, 02:11 PM
Joined Nov 2011
11 Posts
Wow! I am very interested in your eLazair, but sure would like some more information:
When do you think the first eLazair will be ready for shipment?
Will there be international shipping?
Are sale taxes included in the price you have suggested?
Can I fly the plane before I buy it?
Will there be any place in the US or Canada where I can assemble the plane under competent supervision and also get training in flying the plane?
Will floats be included or how much extra will they cost me?
Do you give some kind of guarantee?
Which are the differences from an old Lazair except for the electrification?

Göran
GCrafte is offline Find More Posts by GCrafte
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:03 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Raleigh, NC, USA
Joined Sep 2004
2,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloOne View Post
I have done enough costing analysis to determine that the target price of a complete eLazair kit (less batteries) will be about $20,000 and a fully assembled eLazair will be about $25,000 plus batteries.

Battery pricing will be $5-6,000 for packs with about 1 hour of flight endurance and with at least 1,000 flight hours of cycle life.
What controllers, Dale?

Will you be offering battery packs and BMS/motor/controller for sale for non-Lazair applications?
olgol is offline Find More Posts by olgol
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DLG assembly service
Old Jan 20, 2012, 06:10 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
8,067 Posts
Quote:
Well, after another trip across the country and back in my RV8 to visit JOBY and others in the San Francisco area, I have convinced myself that I will have a continuing supply of EIG cells and motors at a reasonable cost.

Now on to the next order of business and that is to finance the startup of this new venture.

I have done enough costing analysis to determine that the target price of a complete eLazair kit (less batteries) will be about $20,000 and a fully assembled eLazair will be about $25,000 plus batteries.

Battery pricing will be $5-6,000 for packs with about 1 hour of flight endurance and with at least 1,000 flight hours of cycle life.

So, if you want to own a new eLazair with a coveted low serial number (serial #E0001 and up are now available), you can send a deposit of $5,000 to be held in escrow until your eLazair ships.

And/0r, if you would be interested in investing money in this new venture we can talk about that too.

Either way, just Private Message me or contact me at kci at vaxxine dot com.

Dale Kramer
Happy to hear you decided to produce your eLazair,

Will you have any dealer in Europe ?

Tchuss

e_lm_70
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:36 PM
Joined May 2010
297 Posts
Add me to the list of seriously interested in Europe.I have searched the net for months trying to get real objective updates on just this and the Lazair was my first choice for the plane. I have some experience of RC electric -the lipo's are fabulous for models, but we all know they are not nearly 100% consistent (yet)or durable. The Chinese factories are bad at quality control and they are not responsive or flexible.
We are waiting for this breakthrough ,reliability, to climb in!
I have built a number of twin engine planes for FPV and found consistently that they out-perform single engines. For instance; I launch my twin fpv planes while seated and they climb away without any sag.All of the singles need a running launch ,and still sag some ,with motors of more than double the weight. Also redundancy is essential in real flight and flying on one motor of a twin is not too difficult
.Big props are problematic, and affect the view. Bigger props are RELATIVELY quieter. Pusher props are always noisy.
foufly is offline Find More Posts by foufly
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:36 PM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc0 View Post
Does this mean that the aviation authority has agreed with your battery volume is equivalent to fuel volume classification ideas?
Bob
At Oshkosh they said that batteries are considered fuel so I guess they have.

Dale
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:45 PM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCrafte View Post
When do you think the first eLazair will be ready for shipment?
Later this year.

Quote:
Will there be international shipping?
Yes, but not for fully assembled aircraft unless you bought a trailer too and did a roll on roll off shipment.

Quote:
Are sale taxes included in the price you have suggested?
There is no sales tax when exported.

Quote:
Can I fly the plane before I buy it?
No, sorry this is too risky.

Quote:
Will there be any place in the US or Canada where I can assemble the plane under competent supervision and also get training in flying the plane.
This will be available but not this year.

Quote:
Will floats be included or how much extra will they cost me?
Not included and they will not be available until at least next year. There are people who sell floats that may be able to help.

Quote:
Do you give some kind of guarantee?
Only for missing or faulty part replacement.

Quote:
Which are the differences from an old Lazair except for the electrification?
We plan to start with a Series II fuselage and make it into tricycle landing gear

Dale
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:50 PM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgol View Post
What controllers, Dale?

Will you be offering battery packs and BMS/motor/controller for sale for non-Lazair applications?
We may have a reason to go to 18s voltage so we are going to test a fightercatracing controller and yes the power sytems will be available for sale.

Dale
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:55 PM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
Happy to hear you decided to produce your eLazair,

Will you have any dealer in Europe ?

Tchuss

e_lm_70
We do not plan to have dealers but we would like to have people around the world who we can refer our customers to for kit assembly.

Dale
Last edited by KiloOne; Jan 22, 2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:56 PM
Canada, ON, Kincardine
Joined Feb 2009
533 Posts
Quote:
We plan to start with a Series II fuselage and make it into tricycle landing gear

Dale
Does that mean going back to the overhead stick? Will you be selling parts like wings for the existing lazair crowd?
Helno is offline Find More Posts by Helno
Old Jan 23, 2012, 02:06 AM
USA, CA, Watsonville
Joined Jul 2001
466 Posts
The journey has begun!

I have officially started work on my very own electric Lazair! After learning about Dales plane I was smitten. There was no doubt in my mind that this was the perfect progression following a lifetime of passion for aviation and R/C "stuff". Building all those balsa and mylar planes as a kid might just pay off I plan on following in Dales footsteps and not straying too far from the path he has paved. I have updated my RCGroups blog and plan on documenting the build as we proceed.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post20509323

I have been in close communication with Dale for a while about this, and I am absolutely convinced that there is not a more capable individual on the planet to lead the electric airplane revolution! Heady times, indeed! There are a LOT of interesting details to this project and I will elaborate as I am able.
g00bd0g is offline Find More Posts by g00bd0g
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:30 PM
Joined Jul 2008
11 Posts
Quote:
Well, after another trip across the country and back in my RV8 to visit JOBY and others in the San Francisco area, I have convinced myself that I will have a continuing supply of EIG cells and motors at a reasonable cost.
Dale,
Great news on your plans to produce the e-Lazair. Regarding the "continuing supply of EIG cells", is there a US distributor and can the bare cells be had at reasonable cost to the general public (unlike A123 debacle)? These would be great as well for powering e-bikes. If I am not mistaken I think the new Zero line of electric motorcycles are outfitted with EIG cells.
Good luck.
Martin
mauimart is offline Find More Posts by mauimart
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:09 PM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helno View Post
Does that mean going back to the overhead stick? Will you be selling parts like wings for the existing lazair crowd?
Sorry for delay, very busy.

The linkage will be overhead but I have a couple ideas that we played with 30 years ago to make it 'feel' right.

Yes we will be selling parts but not necessarily exact replacements.

Dale