SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 29, 2011, 08:07 AM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
Found this while browsing youtube:

Lazair e-powered ultralight (1 min 54 sec)
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2011, 01:04 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,690 Posts
Just want to add kudos here.

Dale, you have probably been told this, but I just have to express appreciation for what has to have been the most elegant ultralight design to date. Then to take it to another level by going electric. Awesome work man!

Best wishes, fair weather, and safety,
Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Jul 30, 2011, 04:04 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,387 Posts
Did anyone else notice that the EAA article said his motors were in-runners? I could have sworn they were out-runners.
Mike Freas is online now Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Jul 30, 2011, 04:12 PM
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
Started out with turnigy outrunners, and then switched to joby innruners.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 04:14 PM
DrV
Joined Jan 2006
226 Posts
A friend of mine was at Oshkosh and I had told him about Dale's project. He found him and snapped some pictures.
DrV is offline Find More Posts by DrV
Old Aug 02, 2011, 04:27 PM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
Return from Oshkosh

Hi everyone,

We got back yesterday and we have quite a story to tell.

I will respond to everyone and tell the story over the next few days but I can post my pictures now.

Dale
KiloOne is offline Find More Posts by KiloOne
Old Aug 02, 2011, 04:52 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
Welcome back! Thank you for sharing the photos. That hospital photo is really worrying. Is everyone alright?

Ari.
iter is offline Find More Posts by iter
Old Aug 02, 2011, 04:57 PM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
Yes Carmen is fine. She was just kept overnight to do some tests, she was dizzy, with chills and weak legs. We will be doing more tests back home here to find the answers as to what happened.

Dale
Old Aug 02, 2011, 04:58 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
I wish her the best of health.

Ari.
iter is offline Find More Posts by iter
Old Aug 03, 2011, 03:13 AM View Post
feifei
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. Show it to me anyway.
Old Aug 03, 2011, 07:28 AM
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloOne View Post
Hi everyone,

We got back yesterday and we have quite a story to tell.

I will respond to everyone and tell the story over the next few days but I can post my pictures now.

Dale
We'll be waiting with baited breath!!
Old Aug 04, 2011, 11:50 PM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
Oshkosh Report #1

Sorry for the delay in posting, I've been very busy since I got back catching up on other priorities.

As a first report I will summarize what I think I achieved by going to Oshkosh with the worlds first electric seaplane.

First, I know that I have inspired a lot of people as I think that I have shown an electric aircraft is practical now, with today's technology.

In flying a total of 10 flights, totaling 4.5 hours in the air at Oshkosh, I believe that I flew over ten times longer than any other electric aircraft at Oshkosh this year.

Even though I never flew in front of the main crowds, I was still swamped after my flights by the relatively few people that made their way down to the ultralight runway early in the morning or just before dark when I had my time to fly in the ultralight area.

Each of my 1/2 hr flights was in the same time-slot as the powered parachutes. I chose these slots because the powered parachutes had a tight flyby circuit. Had I flown in the regular ultralight slot, I would not have been seen but once every ten minutes due to the size of the circuit they were required to fly. As it was, I was able to fly down the ultralight runway every 2 minutes or so at between 100 and 300 feet high. I really must say thanks again to the parachute guys for letting me join them.

In each of my 1/2 hr flights I was able to show both gliding and single engine performance of the amphib Lazair by flying down the ultralight runway with the motors on 'idle' (read that as 'off'), then with one engine off and the other at full power and vice versa for another pass.

Carmen and I spent most of each day sitting at the airplane answering questions and we enjoyed every minute of it. Untold numbers of Lazair owners came by and swapped their stories with us.

Secondly I believe that there will be a number of people that will take action and build that electric aircraft project they have had in their minds eye. In fact, I have come up with a new t-shirt motto that I think is appropriate for myself and all those who choose to follow in my footsteps --- We dream it.... then we do it!

And lastly I believe that the publicity of my Oshkosh flying will keep inspiring future dreamers to join the club.

More soon,
Dale

P.S. The video referenced in Post #298 above is now 3rd on the list of the Top Ten Airventure Videos of this year, just behind George Lucas's Red Tails Trailer and ahead of Bob Hoover-Rockstar .... WOW
Last edited by KiloOne; Aug 05, 2011 at 06:54 AM.
Old Aug 05, 2011, 02:06 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
The next question is how can one get a Lazair?
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Aug 05, 2011, 07:04 AM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
The next question is how can one get a Lazair?
Try David Legrand at david at chalkmart.com, I think he is relatively close to you.

Dale
Old Aug 05, 2011, 11:04 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Gracias.
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram