HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:36 PM
Joined Apr 2008
120 Posts
Discussion
C-46 Commando

This is really weird, spring is threatening to show itself which means "building season" is coming to a close, I just finished the Universal but really haven't got it completely sorted yet, a Wolf glider was started while the Universal waited for a decent maiden flight day, and then THIS SHOWS UP! Found it at the LHS where someone traded it in on some train stuff. Being about the only one around here that still builds things, I think Al was thinkin of me when he took it and I just couldn't pass it up.

Vintage? 40's? 50"s? Don't know. Suzuki and Edwards Craft Supplies out of Tokyo control line kit of a C-46, 62" span, and for those up here in Canada, just like the one on "Ice Pilots"! Gotta build it. I've already checked and the "blue print" plan can be scanned, reversed and printed. The mystery wood that's in the kit can be replicated with balsa, and I can rework the plan well enough to end up with an RC electric. Tow plane for the Wolf? Hmmm. Never mind.

If anyone out there has any knowledge of S&E models I'd sure be interested to know more, in the meantime I'll start copying parts and see where this longer term project will lead.

Doug

P.S. Next up was supposed to be a sailboat cause all the ice is turning to water. Oh well.
pg_hermit is offline Find More Posts by pg_hermit
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2011, 05:05 AM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,406 Posts
Nice one Doug!, I was just saying the other day to a fellow forumite that C-47s are as common as muck but no ones done a C-46.
It'll be a great change!

Nev
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old Mar 25, 2011, 06:17 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,520 Posts
I'm with Kiwi there!
Been thinking of a C-46 for a while now - trouble is all the other types that keep pushing it aside!
Those plans certainly look interesting - you don't often see real blue blueprints these days! You're probably in the right area date-wise.
My C-47 was 96", so this one is a bit on the small side for me these days, but it should be a very economical model. And interesting for it's rarity.
Enjoy your build!
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Mar 25, 2011, 03:21 PM
Joined Apr 2008
120 Posts
Hey Kiwi, long time no hear! Glad you're on-board. It will be interesting and unique. To me anyway as I can't say I've run across another till "eye4wings" mentioned his. Don't suppose you'd have any pics? Especially the gear, it's either really simple fold forward, or really complicated fold forward and move back, tuck in, and.......

Today was spent covering the Wolf so I can get going on this.

Doug
Old Mar 25, 2011, 05:12 PM
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,520 Posts
Sorry, mine was a C-47 too - like all the rest! It would have been a C-46 two years back but I was asked to work up a 47 so that was it...

This is the only C-46 I know of...
http://www.flyrcmodels.com/c46.htm
From 'American Eagle' but twice the span of yours at 118" - and I can't say I like the look of it much - fibreglass is too smooth to look right in my humble opinion. Needs more imperfections like beat-up panels to make it look right.

There are plenty of videos on youtube.
The gear has a forward rake to it which looks right on for a 90 degree forward standard mechanical retract. I would operate both from a single Supertek S138GH in the fus centre. Shouldn't have any balance issues with that model. All that nose for batteries!
Old Mar 25, 2011, 05:53 PM
Joined Apr 2008
120 Posts
Beat up panels won't be a problem for me, they seem to come off the board that way! Thanks for the tip on the gear.
Doug
Old Mar 25, 2011, 06:30 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,803 Posts
Thats so weird, I came across a B-29 control line kit from the same company a while back. Same kind of wood. I was wondering how old it was. It wasn't a complete kit so I've used some of the wood for other projects.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:52 PM
Grafton, Ohio
Joined Sep 2003
760 Posts
This fella has a nice set of plans... i think they might be the mike midkif plans...http://freeflightmodels.com/index.html
OhioMike is offline Find More Posts by OhioMike
Old Mar 26, 2011, 12:04 AM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_hermit View Post
and for those up here in Canada, just like the one on "Ice Pilots"! Gotta build it.
A great subject! Are you going to do her up in Buffalo airlines colours, too? Looking forward to seeing this one come together.
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Mar 26, 2011, 09:49 AM
Joined Apr 2008
120 Posts
I'm gunna try. That silver /green/white scheme doesn't look the easiest, but it's worth a shot.
Doug
Old Apr 19, 2011, 07:33 AM
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,520 Posts
How's it coming Doug?
Any progress?
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:22 AM
Joined Apr 2008
120 Posts
Not much happening yet, but I did start tracing parts. Thanks for the kick though, I should be doing more, hopefully this week I can get the plans copied.
Doug
Old Dec 20, 2013, 07:29 PM
Joined Dec 2013
1 Posts
Doug, My uncle flew a C-46 during WW11 and I have wanted to build his plane for a while. I have been looking for a kit or plans for over a year. They just don't exist. Tonight my search brought up this forum. I registered immediately in order to contact you. If it's possible, could you please send me info on how to get these plans. Your post was extra interesting, as he was the glider pick-up pilot for his flight. Thanks, Don Clauson
Don Clauson is offline Find More Posts by Don Clauson
Old Apr 02, 2014, 09:34 AM
Joined Apr 2014
1 Posts
I would LOVE to get a copy of those plans. my Dad built one in Korea and named it after me and I would like to duplicate it!! any ideas?
control line guy is offline Find More Posts by control line guy
Old Apr 02, 2014, 10:40 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,238 Posts
C-46 Tinker Belle resides in Monroe, NC, where my son lives. It's the only flying C-46 in the world, IIRC, though there are C-46s in Alaska that could be made flyable again.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero