HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2011, 07:20 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,380 Posts
When we going to see a real FPV piloted vid with it? Unless you do fly with
the camera inside the nose, the endurance will suffer with FPV gear outside the fuse.
My old Funjet could do 25 minutes clean on a 2100mAh batter, and only
15 minutes or less with a camera and Tx outside the fuse.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2011, 07:27 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
The times I posted are with a clean fuselage. I haven't had time to install my video TX yet but it will only add s couple of ounces to the plane. Going out to try some bungee launches with it right now.
jtprouty is offline Find More Posts by jtprouty
Old May 07, 2011, 08:24 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,366 Posts
Unsolicited Suggestions...

Jimmy,

IMHO, the shoulder wing format is preferable because will reduce wear and tear on the wing's underside.

Could you buiild it a "center section" and optional length forward and tail end fuse sections? This would give the operator the option of choosing the aircraft's volume without you having to re-tool for a completely new diameter fuse.

A tapered end section could significantly reduce noise and increase prop efficiency...

Just some thoughts...Thanks for all your work.
scrtsqrl is offline Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old May 07, 2011, 11:34 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
We did some bungee launch testing of the Foamaroo today and it went really well. The winds were very light and variable so I didn't have the benefit of launching into the wind. The bungee is one that we offer, complete with the case to roll it up when finished. Overall launch area is about 30 feet with the bungee stretched out.

No control input is required during the launch until after the bungee has released. In one of the videos I left the motor off and came around to land to demonstrate the ability to land if you have a problem during the launch.

I also asked Dan St. Louis to hand launch the plane to get his opinion of how easily it launches. Unfortunately (for Dan) I forgot to tell him how I have the elevator set up with more throw than it needs and he stalled it during landing, hitting pretty hard on the nose. On the video Dan picks it right back up and re-launches. No damage at all.

I also wanted to demonstrate how easy it launches and performed an underhand launch with very little forward momentum. Worked really well.

Foamaroo Bungee Launch Tests (4 min 41 sec)

Bungee Launch Tests

Launch and Hard Landing of Foamaroo FPV/UAV (2 min 29 sec)

Hand Launch with Hard Landing

Underhand Launch of Foamaroo FPV/UAV (0 min 55 sec)

Underhand Launch

Foamaroo Sport Flying (2 min 10 sec)

Demonstrating how well the Foamaroo flies

Jimmy
Old May 07, 2011, 11:43 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I've got about 10 hours on the prototype thus far and haven't had any wear and tear on the wings yet. I've done a lot of sliding landings and had a couple of bumpy landings but don't see any sign of damage yet. The ground here is really hard due to lack or rain and is perfect for testing the durability of the airframe.

It's actually really easy to customize the length of the fuselage by adding sections in front or behind the fuselage tube. I've come up with a new system that will not only open up the entire fuselage (other than where spars go between the wings, but will also add a large hatch and make the wings break down into three pieces.

tapering the fuselage would add a lot of complexity and cost and our goal is to keep this kit as affordable as possible.

Really appreciate your comments, keep 'em coming!

Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl View Post
Jimmy,

IMHO, the shoulder wing format is preferable because will reduce wear and tear on the wing's underside.

Could you buiild it a "center section" and optional length forward and tail end fuse sections? This would give the operator the option of choosing the aircraft's volume without you having to re-tool for a completely new diameter fuse.

A tapered end section could significantly reduce noise and increase prop efficiency...

Just some thoughts...Thanks for all your work.
Old May 07, 2011, 11:45 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Ian,

The Foamaroo is designed to keep the camera gear inside the fuselage *(that's why we offer a clear dome.)

Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
When we going to see a real FPV piloted vid with it? Unless you do fly with
the camera inside the nose, the endurance will suffer with FPV gear outside the fuse.
My old Funjet could do 25 minutes clean on a 2100mAh batter, and only
15 minutes or less with a camera and Tx outside the fuse.

ian
Old May 07, 2011, 11:49 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtprouty View Post
It's actually really easy to customize the length of the fuselage by adding sections in front or behind the fuselage tube. I've come up with a new system that will not only open up the entire fuselage (other than where spars go between the wings, but will also add a large hatch and make the wings break down into three pieces.
Jimmy,

You're way ahead of me. Thanks.
Old May 09, 2011, 10:42 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
All the parts for make the wing removable have been ordered and I'll have a second prototype flying as soon as the parts come in. I'll post some pix when it's ready.

Jimmy
Old May 11, 2011, 08:33 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtprouty View Post
Ian,

The Foamaroo is designed to keep the camera gear inside the fuselage *(that's why we offer a clear dome.)
Ok, so let's see an FPV piloted video through the clear dome.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2011, 08:47 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
We'll have to do that after I get the two piece wings complete as I don't fly FPV so don't have goggles to do it with. I have a video TX/RX and should be able to record from that. Even if it was FPV the video would look just like the one I already shot, just from inside the fuse. Really no difference other than 2" in height on the camera.

Jimmy
Old May 11, 2011, 08:57 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,380 Posts
That assumes that the curved clear dome will have zero optical effect on
the picture, be it distortion, or sun flares, etc.. I doubt that, which is why I'd like
to see it. Personally, I'd likely just put the camera above the fuse on a pan servo.
Either way, I'd like to see it demonstrated for its intended purpose since this is
the FPV forum after all. Visually piloted video really does look different than FPV piloted video.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2011, 09:48 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
The dome that we're using are acrylic and are supposed to be mote optically clear than the other domes but we'll see. Better domes are available but the cost goes up very quickly. We'll be testing the acrylic domes very soon.
Old May 15, 2011, 05:24 AM
NDw
Ireland, Limerick, Kilmallock
Joined Aug 2010
2,123 Posts
Is there clearance to fit a folding prop. to quieten it a bit?
NDw is offline Find More Posts by NDw
Old May 15, 2011, 07:32 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
You can adjust the position of the tailcone when you install it. The length of the tailcone is dependent on the distance from the firewall to the back plate of the prop hub. If you cut the tailcone short enough you can adjust for a folding prop. I haven't used a prop on my pushers and very rarely break one.

I've also made some good progress on the removable wings and have a solution that I should be flying later this week. I'll be using two carbon spars - a rear one for strength and a forward one to align the wing with the fuselage. I have all the parts, just need to make the jig to cut the holes in the cores.

On another note, I also have a pan system worked out that will install inside the current fiberglass nose cone. It can be rotated 90 degrees when you install the nose to make it a tilt system as well. I'll post more on it in the weeks to come.

Jimmy
Old May 15, 2011, 11:10 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,366 Posts
Jimmy,
Is a shoulder wing option still an option?
Thanks.