HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:32 AM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Thanks, Guys.

We're working on a removable wing right now. More details to come.

Jimmy
jtprouty is offline Find More Posts by jtprouty
Last edited by jtprouty; Apr 27, 2011 at 12:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2011, 12:30 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
We've set the prices based on having a clear dome or a fiberglass dome (Glass) as follows:

Dome:
Clear Glass
Kit: $165 $145
ARC:$220 $205
ARF:$260 $245
UAV:$300 N/A

Please note that the UAV version comes with both domes. We're also working on a pan/tilt system built specifically for the Foamaroo and Jackaroo.

Jimmy
Old Apr 28, 2011, 06:19 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,097 Posts
Jimmy,
is it still a one piece wing where once glued to the fuselage, it wont break down for transport?....

how much building is required with the ARF version?
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Last edited by rclab1; May 01, 2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 09:39 PM
Moore, Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
4,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather View Post
I had a turn at the sticks on the Foamaroo. I was very pleased with the flying qualities. No bad habits and surprisingly responsive to control inputs. I was especially pleased with the roll control. I was expecting such a big flying wing to be sluggish in roll; but the Foamaroo will roll very quickly; and predictably; if you ask it to.

It also handled the wind very well and was scarcely effected by the gusts. As I was flying, I was thinking to myself that the Foamaroo would be a very fun sport flyer.

Nice work Jimmy!
This is great to hear! We spent a lot of time on design.

Thank you for the great report!

Chris McNair
airmcn_3 is offline Find More Posts by airmcn_3
Last edited by airmcn_3; Apr 28, 2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 02:53 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
2,926 Posts
Can you explain or show some pictures of how the battery, OSD etc etc fits in? I presume it's hollow. Is there a lid like the composite version or do you go in through the dome? If we cut our own lid do we compromise its strength?

Thanks

Mike
MikeTheCrash is online now Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Last edited by MikeTheCrash; Apr 29, 2011 at 03:55 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 08:01 AM
Moore, Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
4,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
Can you explain or show some pictures of how the battery, OSD etc etc fits in? I presume it's hollow. Is there a lid like the composite version or do you go in through the dome? If we cut our own lid do we compromise its strength?

Thanks

Mike
Mike,

All good questions. I will let Jimmy respond to the majority. There has to be a hatch as getting to the rear of a 22" tube will not be easy without one. It is somewhat hollow. The wing goes through the fuselage so that space is taken up. Plenty of space!

Chris
airmcn_3 is offline Find More Posts by airmcn_3
Old Apr 29, 2011, 09:13 AM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
The front and rear of the fuselage are removable as well as the motor mount to give access to the inside of the fuselage. I didn't make a hatch on the prototype but I'm in the process of making a second one that will have a hatch over the wing. The problem that I've run into is cutting the hatch square to the wing due to the unique construction process I've come up with for the hybrid fuselage. I don't think it will compromise the strength of the fuselage and should have more details on that this weekend.

Concerning the battery, it's attached to the top of the wing with Velcro and inserted through the front of the fuselage with the nose cone removed. I just use clear tape to hold the nose cone and tail cone in place to make it simple to remove and install.

I also hope to have some more progress on a removable wing and will post details as they come available.

Jimmy
Old May 01, 2011, 12:24 AM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Here's a picture of the inside of the Foamaroo with a 4400 mAH battery installed. There is over 8" of room in front of the wing, not including the nose cone and dome. Putting the video TX and data modem in the wing would leave the fuse open and help eliminate any chance of interference.

Jimmy
Old May 01, 2011, 06:03 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,097 Posts
Let us know when the removable wing comes into play,....
I will buy once its available :-)
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old May 01, 2011, 08:48 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,177 Posts
I got to watch the Foamaroo fly in nicer conditions today; smooth as silk.

I timed a flight for Jimmy, he was flying either a 4000 or 4400mAh 3s battery. After launch I had to leave for a while and go to the local home improvement store. I got back in plenty of time to watch the completion of the flight. Total air time was 45 minutes!!

I also watched Jimmy launch the Foamaroo with a 5000 mAh 3s battery in virtually calm conditions; he made it look pretty easy. This is one nice flying wing!
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old May 01, 2011, 11:04 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Thanks, Dan.

My first flight was done with a 4400 mAH battery in calm to light winds and the launch was very predictable and not an issue. It doesn't take much effort to get the plane in the air and by gripping it in front of the wing I can get my hand well out of the way of the prop during the launch. I did a duration test with the old, tired battery and got 45 minutes before I landed. With some testing I'm sure I can find the optimal prop for this motor and stretch the flight even longer. I'm sure I could have gotten over an hour if I had a newer battery.

On subsequent flights I used a 5000 mAH battery with no change in the launch or flight. I had a great time yanking and banking the Foamaroo and REALLY like how it flies! I'm looking forward to a day when we have some thermals to see if I can thermal it like my Radian.

The videos below show some video shot from the Foamaroo, some launches and landings, and the fun flying I was doing around the power pole.

I've also included a picture of the plane with some custom graphics I put on last night.

Video Shot from Fomaroo UAV/FPV (4 min 39 sec)

Yanking and Banking a Foamaroo UAV/FPV (4 min 4 sec)

Foamaroo Flight Test (2 min 51 sec)

Jimmy
Old May 02, 2011, 04:00 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
what were the wind gusts' on that video?
every 2nd post here about winglets
I don't use them at all, thus better performance in wind gusts
the video recorded 2 days ago:
Flying wing at Hoff Kiriat Haim,Haifa Bay. Strong wind. (3 min 34 sec)
fmkit is online now Find More Posts by fmkit
Old May 02, 2011, 05:52 AM
arizona
Joined May 2008
127 Posts
Whats the diameter of that tube guys ?

Bill
billh117 is offline Find More Posts by billh117
Old May 02, 2011, 10:03 AM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
The inner tube is 3.75" in diameter.

Jimmy
Old May 02, 2011, 10:08 AM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
I haven't seen any problems associated with the winglets in high winds. I know full sized aircraft (B2 etc) had a problem with the plane oscillating in yaw causing problems with target acquisition. It could also cause problems with shooting video if the oscillations are severe enough.

Our winglets were optimized with computational fluid dynamics and work extremely well. As proven in full scale planes, the winglets can also help to reduce drag.

Another benefit of the winglets is that they greatly increase visibility when the plane is out a ways. When flying the plane yesterday the white winglets really showed up well in the sun and helped with orientation.

Jimmy