HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:34 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
The wings are CNC cut and were straight when they went out so I don't understand how they could have been "bent". Even if they shifted during shipping and somehow got warped it should have been able to be taken care of when installing the spars. All of the wings that I cut do have washout which helps keep the tip from stalling when you go to high angle of attack. There is no difference between the high wing and low wing cores. If the spars were install per the instructions (just as Daemon mentioned) it would have kept them flat. Something isn't right with the amount of up your plane has. Could be the CG is too far forward or the thrust line is way off.

Jimmy
jtprouty is offline Find More Posts by jtprouty
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:36 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Also, if it flies "ok" in manual there shouldn't be any problem with the autopilot. Most autopilots will actually make a bad flying plane fly better.

Jimmy
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:12 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Been really busy with new airframe development (have a new composite ship that will be announced next month) but have also developed a new EPP/Composite plane in the mean time.. The new plane has a shoulder wing with an underwing fairing that moves all of the structure out of the fuselage. (No more spars coming through the mid-section.) I've also been able to retain the hatch on top by putting it under the wing fairing. The only change is that the hatch is now smaller but you still have access to the front and rear of the fuselage through the nose and tail.

Finally learned to use SolidWorks well enough to be able to draw up some plans as well.

Cheers,

Jimmy
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:48 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Another item that I've developed along side of the new airframe is a tray that slides into the fuselage, letting you mount your payload to it for easy removal. The top half of the tray can be used as a battery tray and you're equipment can mount to the bottom (or vice versa). The only modification to the fuselage to use the tray is the addition of a block similar to the motor mount blocks that you attach the tray to with a screw. The trays are available for the Foamaroo and will also be available for our new plane. We also now offer the Foamaroo with a front motor mount for those that want it.

Happy flyilng,

Jimmy
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:01 AM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,587 Posts
I like it! I ended up using Velcro and a ziptie to attach a plank to the spars and calling that my battery / equipment tray.

It worked well enough but I like this idea Jimmy though I might have to notch the other end as well as I set my Froo up with a hook so I could do bungee launches.

-Mike
Stone1295 is online now Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:49 AM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Hi Mike.

Notching the former should be easy enough to do. You could notch it before you put the parts together.

Happy flying,

Jimmy
Old Mar 08, 2013, 09:34 AM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jan 2013
176 Posts
Hi Jimmy,

I was wondering what the flight characteristic goals are for your new airframe, over and above the Foamaroo? Or is it just the structural changes related to:

>>The new plane has a shoulder wing with an underwing fairing that moves all of the structure out of the fuselage. (No more spars coming through the mid-section.) I've also been able to retain the hatch on top by putting it under the wing fairing.

I'm curious to understand if you started this with some specific flight goals in mind?

Thanks
M
FireFlyer451 is online now Find More Posts by FireFlyer451
Old Mar 08, 2013, 09:52 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,469 Posts
Any videos of the 'Front motor mount" version? (Tractor).
rclab1 is online now Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:36 AM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Hi Mike,

My goal was to clean up the inside of the fuselage tube to give full access by moving the spars outside of the tube. I think the wing fairing may also help with rudder rock in gusty conditions but will have to wait until I fly it to see. It will also let me use the modular payload system to so I can slide the system in from the front or the rear. I'm thinking about mounting the motor on a slide in system as well and will experiment with that.

I'll be mounting the first wing saddle today and will provide some pictures once I get it done.

Happy flying,

Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFlyer451 View Post
Hi Jimmy,

I was wondering what the flight characteristic goals are for your new airframe, over and above the Foamaroo? Or is it just the structural changes related to:

>>The new plane has a shoulder wing with an underwing fairing that moves all of the structure out of the fuselage. (No more spars coming through the mid-section.) I've also been able to retain the hatch on top by putting it under the wing fairing.

I'm curious to understand if you started this with some specific flight goals in mind?

Thanks
M
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:37 AM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
Any videos of the 'Front motor mount" version? (Tractor).
Not yet. Will be coming soon.

Jimmy
Old Mar 08, 2013, 11:56 AM
USA
Joined May 2010
4,469 Posts
Thanks for the Reply....
I'll buy a couple once I see some pics/vids' of the Tractor design....

I love the view of the prop when FPV'ing (its like I'm ON the plane).
I rather 'FLY' rather then take pictures
Plus most of my planes that have Tractor design flies better then my Pushers'.
I don't have to worry about cutting my fingers when Goggles are ON my face and I can HandLaunch.

Looking Great here!

Old Mar 09, 2013, 10:42 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Here's some pix of the new plane with the wing saddle and a wing half installed. I was concerned about whether the saddle would be stiff enough but it turns out I was worried for nothing. The wing mounts very firmly to the fuselage with absolutely no slop. The saddle attaches to the fuselage with two bolts (had to use a steel bolt for now until I can get some longer nylon bolts) and has the hatch cover mounted to it. Wing spars plug into the wing root just like they did on the Froo. Waiting on a shipment of spars (Chinese New Year slowed everything down) and then I can finish this airframe. I'm going to use my modular payload system (mission tray) on this one and will be able to switch from pusher to tractor on the same plane whenever I want. Should be fun!

Jimmy
Old Mar 09, 2013, 10:55 PM
USA
Joined May 2010
4,469 Posts
Wow,
Great Design.....
Old Mar 22, 2013, 02:05 PM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Jan 2013
100 Posts
Jimmy in the news...

http://www.kansas.com/2013/03/21/272...-into-the.html
gregmchugh is offline Find More Posts by gregmchugh
Old Apr 06, 2013, 09:36 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Had a little time to start covering the new plane and thought I'd share a couple of pictures. I still need to cover the nose/tail of the plane and add the ailerons. Once that's done I can finalize the wing mount and radio compartment cover and I'll pretty much be done with this one. I'll be flying it in both tractor and pusher mode by simply turning the payload pod around and reversing the motor.

Happy flying,

Jimmy