HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2011, 10:33 AM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,431 Posts
We're in the process of putting the first couple of planes together and then will be test flying to confirm our performance data. The plane will be offered with your choice of a fiberglass dome or a clear dome at an additional charge. We're still trying to decide on a one piece wing or a two piece removable wing. EPP has a lot of challenges that need to be overcome when designing a wing that can be broken down so we'll see how that goes.

We've been beating the heck out of the prototype fuselage and haven't managed to dent it yet! Test data so far shows that the plane should bounce pretty well!

Jimmy
jtprouty is offline Find More Posts by jtprouty
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2011, 11:19 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,431 Posts
We're nearing completion of the first fuselage. The fuselage is a hybrid EPP/fiberglass construction that we've developed and should be very resilient.

Next step is to make the motor fairing and wings which should be complete this week. Hope to start test flying a couple of these next week.

Jimmy
Last edited by jtprouty; May 30, 2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 08:20 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,804 Posts
Looking great Jimmy,
I can't wait for some vids, and payload numbers.....

again, what is the WingSpan? and will it breakdown?
Motor size?
Lipo size?
rclab1 is online now Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Apr 14, 2011, 07:07 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,431 Posts
Finished the mold for the tailcone yesterday and pulled the first part today. The pix show it taped to the fuselage as I haven't had time to mount it yet. That will be done once I mount the motor. With my current progress this one should be flying early next week.

Jimmy
Old Apr 14, 2011, 07:30 PM
It's pronounced Caveman...
Reno, NV
Joined Nov 2009
437 Posts
I'm anxious to see how the wings attach, and what the final product looks like. What kind of motor/battery config are you going to test with?
c4v3man is offline Find More Posts by c4v3man
Old Apr 14, 2011, 07:47 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,431 Posts
I plan to use a MicroDan motor with a 3S lipo pack but will test fly this one with a different motor as I don't have any MicroDans on hand. Current plans are to make the wing halves removable once I'm satisfied with the performance and have finalized the wing design.

Jimmy
Old Apr 17, 2011, 07:50 AM
Registered Crasher
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,184 Posts
I can wait to see some more photo's or video of this thing in action.
I just might have to invest in one when they are released!

Cheers,

Scott
Bilox is offline Find More Posts by Bilox
Old Apr 17, 2011, 08:17 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,431 Posts
Just test fit the wing to the fuse. Should have the wing pretty much ready to install tonight. Will definitely be test flying this week.

Jimmy
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:30 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,431 Posts
Wings are now built and waiting for aileron installation and winglets. Finished fabricating the nose and tail cones which are now removable for complete payload/motor access. Final steps will be to install the motor mount once I have the motors, make and install the winglets (tomorrow night), and install the radio. Looking good for a weekend first flight.

I weighed the wings and fuselage today and so far the weight is 456 grams (1.1 lbs). Should be pretty efficient!

Also heard that the first test fuselage was beaten against some things today to test its strength and the fuselage won! Hope the repairs to what it was beaten against won't be too expensive!!!

Jimmy
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:48 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,078 Posts
So the plan is to mount the motor to the removable fiberglass tailcone?
I can't imagine using anything short of a solid wood mount for the motor.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:56 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,431 Posts
The motor mounts to the fuselage. The tail cone is more like a cowl, just on the back of the plane instead of on the front.

Jimmy
Last edited by jtprouty; Apr 20, 2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 02:50 AM
It's pronounced Caveman...
Reno, NV
Joined Nov 2009
437 Posts
Looking beautifully simple! You going to throw a camera (of any kind) into it this weekend?
c4v3man is offline Find More Posts by c4v3man
Old Apr 20, 2011, 08:50 AM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,431 Posts
Not for this weekend's flights. Will probably do that next week.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:19 AM
prefer lift over drag anyday
Joined Jun 2005
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancesAU View Post
Not a chance
THIS is very similar to a scan eagle
How can you do a big volume pod on a flying wing with decent aspect ratio and not have people make comparisons to scan eagle? I think scan eagle is just one variant on what makes sense as a generic UAV platform.
flyzguy is offline Find More Posts by flyzguy
Old Apr 21, 2011, 04:17 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyzguy View Post
How can you do a big volume pod on a flying wing with decent aspect ratio and not have people make comparisons to scan eagle? I think scan eagle is just one variant on what makes sense as a generic UAV platform.
Do a google image search for "wing UAV" and one can count up several scan eagle style aircraft straight away.

All im saying is that this is not a blatant copy, its been designed from the ground up and has nothing to do with the scan eagle other then the fact it has a round pod for a fuse.
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU