HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2011, 10:40 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Foamaroo FPV Video

Marc Browing flew his Foamaroo ARF FPV today and was kind enough to let us record the flight. I took and excerpt of the video and have posted it on YouTube. Marc is still fine tuning his motor/prop combination to get the best endurance from the plane.

We're also adding a couple of extra carbon strips to the wing to stiffen it up a little since the plane tends to "bounce" at speeds above 60 MPH. I've already done the mod on mine and it really stiffens it up.

FPV From A Foamaroo (6 min 46 sec)

Jimmy
jtprouty is offline Find More Posts by jtprouty
Last edited by jtprouty; Jun 05, 2011 at 11:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2011, 01:49 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Repaired the "damage" from the crash and am happy to report that the plane flies like new. Repairs took less than 10 minutes and she was ready to go again. Flew it again yesterday in high winds and did some dive tests. The only oscillations I got were when I dove straight down with full power and let it accelerate well beyond it's designed airspeed. The oscillations stopped as soon as I pulled up and leveled the plane.

Jimmy
Last edited by jtprouty; Jun 07, 2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:09 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
I shot some pictures of the Foamaroo kit tonight that I wanted to share. The first pictures show all of the parts in the kit. All of the holes in the fuselage and wings have been opened including the spar tube holes in the wing, servo wire hole, servo pocket, and winglet mounting dowel holes. The only holes that you have to make are the holes in the motor mount plate, winglets, and a hole in the aft fairing for your propeller shaft. It's pretty easy to assemble, even for a first time builder.

I've also included pictures of an ARF version of the Foamaroo (less motor and servos.) The pictures show both the opaque and clear domes. The nose section can be changed in a matter of seconds to fly different payloads and additional nose sections are available if needed. We can also make them longer or shorter if desired.

The final pictures shows all three domes that I'm currently flying (opaque, clear, and opaque modified for my GoPro.)

Jimmy
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:56 AM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Here are some pictures of the different kits for comparison.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 08:05 AM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,304 Posts
Nice job on bringing this to market.
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old Jun 13, 2011, 09:08 AM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Thanks, Gary.

I have a new employee that will be helping me produce our products and am currently bringing him up to speed.

Jimmy
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:57 PM
netherlands
Joined Mar 2010
1,372 Posts
i was looking for a FPV plane and came across this great looking plane
i am still a newbie in fpv so this is not a plane for me yet , but i like it a lot
i like the fact you can take the wings of and the amount of space in the fusalage

do you ship the plane to europe ???
and what will that cost

greetings patrick
patrick39 is offline Find More Posts by patrick39
Old Jun 13, 2011, 03:07 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Hi Patrick,

Yes, we can ship the FPV Foamaroo to Europe. Shipping is approximately $44 (US) via air.

Jimmy
Old Jun 14, 2011, 02:15 PM
netherlands
Joined Mar 2010
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtprouty View Post
Hi Patrick,

Yes, we can ship the FPV Foamaroo to Europe. Shipping is approximately $44 (US) via air.

Jimmy

thx for that

i bookmarked this thread , and keep following this thread
i first have to practice more with fpv
patrick39 is offline Find More Posts by patrick39
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:57 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
I put together a quick video on how easy it is to change the nose payload section as well as prep the plane for flight.

Foamaroo Assembly Video (2 min 41 sec)

Jimmy
Old Jun 19, 2011, 01:46 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
I've had some people ask which 3M77 product to use before covering the plane. I've used both the black can and the purple can with good results. I don't put on a heavy coat, just a quick coat the let it dry before I cover the plane with Ultracote. BTW - we now offer Ultracote for sale with our kits.

Happy flying,

Jimmy
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:15 AM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
I've been introduced to this aircraft by a fellow FVP'er down under. I think this might be my first wing, but have a few questions. Note, I am coming from an EasyStar FPV background.

Is this plane hard(er) to fly? I'm wondering if there may be a lot of crashing before I can fly nice and stable... launch and still maintain all fingers.... launch and actually get up... Hopefully someone can tell me.

For now, I'm hoping to stay with a HobbyKing motor/ESC/Battery setup. Could anyone recommend a suitable power system (taking into account, my next question)?

Is it possible to get the Foamaroo to fly less loudly? I'm hoping it's not too noisy, and therefor, limiting where I can fly, without irritating the locals.

I like the idea of detaching the wings for transport. What is the process like to attach/detach? And scrtsqrl asking about 'shoulders'. What is that, and is that an option? He mentioned it would be easier to launch. Sounds good!

I would like to cover it, but no idea how... But, my daughter has already asked I do it in pink. Would that bar me from getting one??

Looks like a very nice plane... Will be following closely, and probably ordering soon...

Looks like a very nice plane.. very nice.
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:51 AM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post

Is this plane hard(er) to fly? I'm wondering if there may be a lot of crashing before I can fly nice and stable... launch and still maintain all fingers.... launch and actually get up... Hopefully someone can tell me.
The plane is really easy to fly as long as you keep your elevator throws low. If you put in a lot of elevator it will be difficult to control in pitch due to how effective the elevators are. I recommend 1/2" up and down but have customers flying with 1/4". Definitely want someone to assist with the first hand launch so you can be on the sticks the whole time to trim the plane.

Quote:
For now, I'm hoping to stay with a HobbyKing motor/ESC/Battery setup. Could anyone recommend a suitable power system (taking into account, my next question)?
Motor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14396
Speed Control: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2165
Battery: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9184

-OR -

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10383

Quote:
Is it possible to get the Foamaroo to fly less loudly? I'm hoping it's not too noisy, and therefor, limiting where I can fly, without irritating the locals.
If your prop is properly balanced (no pun intended) you can bring the noise down. Once you're in the air and up a little you can barely hear it anyway. One other thing to do is soft mount the motor using round servo grommets in the firewall.

Quote:
I like the idea of detaching the wings for transport. What is the process like to attach/detach? And scrtsqrl asking about 'shoulders'. What is that, and is that an option? He mentioned it would be easier to launch. Sounds good!
I'm considering abandoning the shoulder wing concept as there is no added benefit to it and it would make it impossible to put a hatch on top of the fuselage without having to re-engineer everything and add a bunch of structure.

I have finally sourced a 1/2" spar for the plane that won't significantly increase the cost and will be incorporating them in future kits. The current spar system works very well and will shear if you hit a solid object, protecting the airframe and cargo. I think I can eliminate some of the spars strips and cut down on parts count by going to the new rear spar.

Quote:
I would like to cover it, but no idea how... But, my daughter has already asked I do it in pink. Would that bar me from getting one??
Yes.

(JK) I'll have to check and see if they have pink Ultracote as I've never looked into it.

Quote:
Looks like a very nice plane... Will be following closely, and probably ordering soon...
Thanks! We're having a blast with ours and I hope to hear back from those who have purchased them as well.

Happy flying,

Jimmy
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:57 AM
Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2009
968 Posts
Jimmy,

While you are changing the spar system, you could extend the hole for the servo wires all the way to the wing tip. Normally I like to mount my video transmitter on one wing tip and GPSor RC Link antenna in the other.
vertcnc is offline Find More Posts by vertcnc
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:04 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
I could make a smaller hole to run the wires from the wingtip (similar to the one for the current spars) but not the large on that I use for the servos. Typically, a router with a 1/8" bit (Dremel tool) works great for making the well for the wires from the wingtip to the servo bay and then you can run the internally from there. Everyone has their own requirements for equipment so I typically leave that to the builder.

Jimmy