HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2011, 06:58 AM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Here's a video of me chasing the 1st Foamaroo around with a second one equipped with the GoPro and a 5000 mAH battery. We'll be shooting some FPV video once I receive a set of goggles.

If you watch all the way to the end you'll see my son, Codi, have a rough landing with the first plane. He hadn't flown a Foamaroo before and isn't used to landing with no wind. Attempted to go around but didn't throttle up...... I picked the plane up and relaunched - no damage at all.

Foamaroo Inflight Video (5 min 38 sec)

Jimmy
jtprouty is offline Find More Posts by jtprouty
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2011, 07:07 AM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,568 Posts
Very nice!
Great piloting too.
I'm amazed at how well you kept the chased plane in-frame for piloting non FPV.
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Jun 02, 2011, 10:04 AM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Thanks, Galaxiex.

I was surprised at how much video I captured since there were several times that I thought I had overshot Codi. Turns out I was right where I needed to be.

Jimmy
Old Jun 03, 2011, 07:42 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Just put the finishing touches on the first production Foamaroo ARF pictured below in orange. We'll have a limited number of kits next week. Allow an extra week for ARC/ARF kits.

Jimmy
Old Jun 03, 2011, 07:48 PM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,217 Posts
jtprouty

I've been reading through this thread and I really like this plane.....but we still have not seen it fly FPV and how long a 3s-4000/5000mah will fly for?
....and how much weight she can carry? I read that the "Jackeroo" can carry 7 Lbs, but this is the foam version of that plane, and that the
"Jackeroo" can fly in wind 25mph plus, but again, this is the Foam version? has this been tested in heavy heavy winds, or are we just "assuming" it can fly in
very windy situations because its the same airfoil, but foam?

What is the cruising amps also?

p.s.

It sure looks smooth flying though

I will buy once I see someone get "real actual" results
Amazing plane soo far.

LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Last edited by LexusFPV; Jun 03, 2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 09:18 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Thanks, Lexus.

First plane's been delivered so hopefully we'll see some FPV from it soon. I know how long it will fly on a 4400mAH batter with the camera mounted on top (45 minutes on an OLD battery). I can do video downlink, just don't have goggles to do FPV with it. (Maybe after I sell a few more.)

I've flown this one in 15+ MPH winds and it handles it no problem. We have a saying in full scale aviation: The airplane doesn't know it's windy. Winds are supposed to be 20+ MPH tomorrow and I'll take them out to fly in it. I'll also do a flight with two 5000 mAH batteries in the plane to show its weight carrying capability.

I based on cruise throttle settings the current draw is just under 5 amps with static thrust. It is probably lower with dynamic thrust at the same setting.

I know I'm repeating myself but this thing is just flat fun to fly! In the video where I'm chasing my son, Codi, it's the first time he's flown it and he was doing low passes just over the soccer goals and having a blast.

Jimmy
Old Jun 03, 2011, 10:03 PM
United States, CA, Lemoore
Joined Nov 2008
457 Posts
Is this thing back ordered? last I checked it was pre-order only. If it is available, I'm there asap.
Svede is offline Find More Posts by Svede
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sea Bull maidened
Old Jun 03, 2011, 10:19 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
I've received all of the materials to make up the kits and will be making a bunch of fuselages this weekend. I already have 6 sets of wings cut and prepped, just need to make and prep the fuselages and more of the nose/tail cones and we're ready. I have 4 preorders and will be filling them first next week. Also have two full buns of EPP and will be cutting wings and fuselages to get more kits ready to go. Somewhere in the middle of all this I also want to build a shoulder wing but that will be on an time-available basis.

Jimmy
Old Jun 03, 2011, 11:54 PM
United States, CA, Lemoore
Joined Nov 2008
457 Posts
Just ordered the current version, can't wait!

Kavin
Svede is offline Find More Posts by Svede
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sea Bull maidened
Old Jun 04, 2011, 05:15 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Thanks, Kavin. I'll get you a shipping number as soon as your kit ships.

Jimmy
Old Jun 04, 2011, 07:01 PM
Joined Aug 2008
367 Posts
How much would it cost to ship to EU? Would it be possible to take a photo of kit parts (ARC & ARF too if possible)? This would be very helpful to make decision for some not familiar with construction process.
Regards
Michal
tty044 is offline Find More Posts by tty044
Old Jun 04, 2011, 10:53 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
I was hoping to get some high wind testing today but the wind dropped just as we were loading up to go fly. I decided to shoot some bungee launch videos and also load it up with some weight to show it can fly with more than "normal" weight. I did several bungee launches with my GoPro installed and then switched to a 5000 mAH battery for power and a 4400mAH battery for ballast.

While setting up the double batteries I managed to get the CG way too far aft. The problem was caused by me wearing the wrong glasses and not being able to see my CG marks (getting old sucks!) I bungee launched and immediately knew the CG was out of range and started a pitching climb and was going to come around and attempt a landing. Unfortunately, a light pole reached up and grabbed the plane and it fell to the ground. (Yes, we have it on video!)

All I can say is WOW! The only "damage" was that the canopy popped off, a former for the nose section popped off causing the nose cone to roll away, and the tail fairing's glue joint separated.... The only thing that really broke was the prop when I hit the light pole. I've managed to do some pretty rough landings with no damage but this was a genuine crash with a lot of weight and there was no structural damage to the plane. I'll have it flying again tomorrow and hope to do some high wind testing with it then.

Tests so far indicated that we have a strong airframe - this crash proves it! This plane has now been landed in a tree, dorked on landing twice, and bounced off a light pole and is still flyable!

Foamaroo Crash (2 min 47 sec)

Jimmy
Last edited by jtprouty; Jun 04, 2011 at 11:37 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 01:16 AM
FPV = Fun Powered Vehicle
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2011
168 Posts
Wow is right. It looked barely controllable. I'd say that was two crashes in one. First the top of the light post,then the 2-story fall to the cement.
That was some great video. Tell the cameraman good work. Way to zoom in for the crash. He could be a camera guy for NASCAR.
Quote:
Tests so far indicated that we have a strong airframe
Just goes to show the Research,Design,Materials and build Quality are what we all had hoped for.

Quote:
I'll have it flying again tomorrow and hope to do some high wind testing with it then.
Look forward to that.

Cheers
LokeyFPV is offline Find More Posts by LokeyFPV
Old Jun 05, 2011, 10:29 AM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Just heard back from the customer that purchased the first ARF and he said he's cruising at 32 MPH drawing 7 amps. Not sure what power system he's using but know that he's set up for full FPV. He mounted his FPV transmitter in one wing with the antenna attached to the winglet and, I believe, the RC receiver in the other wing for maximum separation to prevent interference. He has full OSD and system monitoring (Eagle Tree) as well as an FY-21AP stabilization system. Looks like there's still boat loads of space in the fuselage as well.

I think I'm going to start adding pockets in the bottom of the wing for the video TX and RC RX to be installed, if needed. Customers will just need to cut or route a slit for wiring to the servo pocket and then run the wires into to the fuselage. There is already a large hole routed to the servo hole for the servo wires to run to the fuselage.

Jimmy
Old Jun 05, 2011, 10:34 AM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Forgot to mention - he's doing his first flights in 16 knot winds gusting to 20 knots! (18-23 MPH).