HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2011, 08:41 AM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
New Product
New Version of Jackaroo UAV Coming for FPV

Hangar 18 is pleased to announce that we have a licensing agreement with AttoPilot International to develop and produce an FPV version of the Jackaroo UAV. The new airframe will be a lower cost version that is designed and built with the FPV enthusiast in mind and will feature lower cost materials to let us pass the savings on to you. Please e-mail us at infor@hangar18uav.com and watch our website for updates in the very near future.

Jimmy
jtprouty is offline Find More Posts by jtprouty
Last edited by jtprouty; Apr 27, 2011 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Added pictures
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:27 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,076 Posts
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Last edited by rclab1; Mar 28, 2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:54 PM
Just dog tired.
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Dec 2010
458 Posts
That is one funny looking plane.

Kinda looks like a cardboard tube with wings, a motor, and a dome on the front. Ah well, whatever works I guess.
Wearyman is online now Find More Posts by Wearyman
Old Mar 24, 2011, 01:04 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Actually, it's a toilet paper roll with cardboard wings.....

But seriously, the Jackaroo was designed by AttoPilot International using computational fluid dynamics to produce the most efficient plane for the mission. There are a bunch of Jackaroos out there now and have proven to be very reliable, robust airframes. Our goal is to bring a more affordable version to the FPV enthusiast.
Last edited by jtprouty; Mar 24, 2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Keyboard is misspelling words again....
Old Mar 24, 2011, 01:14 PM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
Got a name for it yet?

I think it should be named "The Joey" since it looks like a miniature version of some of your other UAV's
THE_SHRUB is offline Find More Posts by THE_SHRUB
Old Mar 24, 2011, 01:17 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,943 Posts
It look very efficient indeed. Very nice plane. I will try it if it is affordable
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
Old Mar 24, 2011, 01:20 PM
It's pronounced Caveman...
Reno, NV
Joined Nov 2009
437 Posts
Is the camera dome in the front going to be carried over to the lower cost version, or is that being eliminated to cut costs. Such a shame to have to put the camera out in the airstream when the dome would both protect the camera and make it more efficient...
c4v3man is offline Find More Posts by c4v3man
Old Mar 24, 2011, 01:24 PM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4v3man View Post
Is the camera dome in the front going to be carried over to the lower cost version, or is that being eliminated to cut costs. Such a shame to have to put the camera out in the airstream when the dome would both protect the camera and make it more efficient...
Well since it's being "designed with the FPVer in mind" I would assume that the dome would come standard.

I really like the concept of this plane, I will be watching the development on this thread very closely
THE_SHRUB is offline Find More Posts by THE_SHRUB
Old Mar 24, 2011, 03:18 PM
It's pronounced Caveman...
Reno, NV
Joined Nov 2009
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_SHRUB View Post
Well since it's being "designed with the FPVer in mind" I would assume that the dome would come standard.

I really like the concept of this plane, I will be watching the development on this thread very closely
The grey version has a camera pod, the white one does not... I thought it was a legitimate question?

I'm just saying if it's in the premium $200+ airframe market I would assume most customers would expect a decent quality camera dome to be included.
c4v3man is offline Find More Posts by c4v3man
Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:15 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,076 Posts
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Last edited by rclab1; Mar 28, 2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:53 PM
Moore, Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
4,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4v3man View Post
The grey version has a camera pod, the white one does not... I thought it was a legitimate question?

I'm just saying if it's in the premium $200+ airframe market I would assume most customers would expect a decent quality camera dome to be included.
Dome is included. The white bird does not have one as the customer ordered it without. That is an option with the all composite sUAS bird.

We will offer kit form and RTF.

Keep in mind to have a nice clear dome with little to no distortion or defects we have to pay a little more on the front end. Between the cost of EPP and the dome we will have to be careful how we price it. Believe me when I say we want everyone to be able to enjoy our birds and cost is a key player in the outcome.

There is a lot of room so get ready to finally have a purpose built FPV bird that allows everything to be located inside to leave you with a aerodynamically "Clean" aircraft. We also would like to keep it "packable" for trips or small vehicles.

We have flown the composite version up to 7lbs and 11000MAh of 3 cell battery!

Chris McNair
AttoPilot International, LLC
airmcn_3 is offline Find More Posts by airmcn_3
Last edited by airmcn_3; Mar 24, 2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:54 PM
Moore, Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
4,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
The Jackeroo looks like a aerodynamic bullet with wings
After all said and done, I believe that this thing will fly like a FunJet/Stryker,
but with the runtimes of 3x-4x longer.....

I stopped using the Stryker for FPV because my average runtime was
~9min-12min.... too short for me. You guys have to call them
and ask about the glide factor, and the ability to use in very high windy
conditions.

This plane was design for efficiency, and endurance.

The stats on this Jackeroo awed me.

(but time will tell on someone's review)

p.s.
I wish they had a video of this plane, seems like it will fulfill almost the FPV'ers needs.
ie....slow, fast, very long flights.....

As soon as Jimmy has the foam bird cut out we will get you good video. Only video we have is of the high end composite aircraft guided by a solid AP system.
airmcn_3 is offline Find More Posts by airmcn_3
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:31 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Sorry for the delayed response - had my eyes dilated by an optometrist today and can just now see normally!!!

The camera dome will be standard on the FPV version. We're working on the domes now and they will actually determine the diameter of the fuselage.

Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_SHRUB View Post

Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:35 PM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
This is great news!
I cant wait to see the final product.
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:56 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Dec 2010
152 Posts
Looks very very similar to a Scan Eagle..
Mikey636 is offline Find More Posts by Mikey636