HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2011, 09:03 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,368 Posts
Callie needs some pictures and sizes. If you want her to duplicate a more complex scheme I can send her the plans so she can work from those.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2011, 03:18 PM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modelholic View Post
Reuben,

I hope your weekend has been productive and I look forward to seeing the pics. I guess if you haven't been posting here you must have been building!!

The graphics you have obtained from Caille are superb and I hope to obtain a set for the DVIII. I was wondering what sort of information you sent so that I might get mine together and send off for mine!
Hey Simon,
The Callie graphic's are great, I sent Them a couple of photo's and a link to some more on Fliker.com and a link to the model on Manzo's site.
They replied with a price and timeframe within a couple of days and two weeks later the graphics arrived
-Reuben
ben199 is online now Find More Posts by ben199
Old Apr 10, 2011, 03:26 PM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
Or, like us in the UK, he's having a glorious day and has gone flying. As for me, I'm up to my ears in plotting DVII wing ribs and making sure the wing will actually fit the fuselage. Such fun!!!

Pete
Pete,
You hit the nail on the head!
I spent the morning at the park with a couple of mates for the first fly in a couple of weeks.
The last week here in Nz has been like winter so I had to make the most of the good weather, We were filming from two gliders which made for a fun morning and then I spent the afternoon installing some shelfing in my workshop.
So no building but I will fix that later on today
-Reuben
Old Apr 10, 2011, 06:45 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,463 Posts
I just knew I had to be right about something eventually.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Apr 10, 2011, 07:35 PM
Perth WA
Joined Feb 2007
1,035 Posts
Thank you I'll see what I can organize.
Modelholic is offline Find More Posts by Modelholic
Old Apr 12, 2011, 05:03 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
849 Posts
After a couple of busy days with no time to build, I made sometime tonight and had a go a making up some jigs to align the top wing.... after a couple of goes I decided to simpify things and made some reference points on a strip of mdf board and then levelled the fuse on the board and added to straight edges across the wings struts.
Hopefully the photo's can explain it better than I can

Pete, is there any positive incidence on the top wing?
-Reuben
Old Apr 12, 2011, 05:20 AM
Perth WA
Joined Feb 2007
1,035 Posts
Looks like a perfect solution, feels good to get these critical tasks out of the way.
Modelholic is offline Find More Posts by Modelholic
Old Apr 12, 2011, 05:48 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modelholic View Post
Looks like a perfect solution, feels good to get these critical tasks out of the way.
Thanks Simon,
I will be measuring everything twice before I add the top sheeting... just incase
-Reuben
Old Apr 12, 2011, 06:59 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,463 Posts
'Pete, is there any positive incidence on the top wing?'

Yes thanks mate.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 07:21 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,463 Posts
Sorry, just couldn't help myself. Yes mate, 1 degree positive on both upper and lower wings. That's from the datum, which is parallel to the top edge of the fuselage sides, and is measured along the flat bottom of the wing.

Also, don't forget to taper the longerons at the tailplane seat, to provide a similar amount of positive incidence on the tailplane. I find it helps to keep the tail up in flight.

For anyone thinking these angles don't sound right, I totally agree, they don't sound right. What I do know, however, is that they work well on this type of model. Whilst the tailplane incidence helps prevent that awful tail low look in flight, the comparatively minimal mainplane incidence avoids the need for any more than 2-3 degrees of downthrust on the motor - thereby avoiding some of the strange prop angles I've seen used.
Just for the record, I only use the positive tail incidence on models with more than one pair of wings. Monoplanes don't seem to need it.

Pete
Old Apr 12, 2011, 12:51 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,483 Posts
Quote:
Just for the record, I only use the positive tail incidence on models with more than one pair of wings. Monoplanes don't seem to need it.

Pete
You must have forgotten that you put positive incidence on the D.VIII tailplane. The last I knew it had only one set of wings.

Sorry, couldn't resist it.

Larry
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Apr 12, 2011, 02:16 PM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
849 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, just couldn't help myself. Yes mate, 1 degree positive on both upper and lower wings. That's from the datum, which is parallel to the top edge of the fuselage sides, and is measured along the flat bottom of the wing.

Pete
Thanks Pete,
I used the top edge of the fuse as my reference point to work from, which was how I found the front edge of the wing was slightly higher then the rear...... glad to see it wasn't my eyes
Sorry for all the questions, this is my first biplane all my other builds have only had one wing
-Reuben
Old Apr 12, 2011, 02:47 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,463 Posts
Larry,
It's a scale feature on the DVIII, so I'm excused that one. Sort of built in, rather than added to. That's my excuse anyway.

Pete
Old Apr 18, 2011, 04:08 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
849 Posts
Some more progress,
Today I removed the wing ribs and spar's and checked them all against the plan to make certain where they all went

Pete, can you tell me what the dihedral angle is? in degree's

Thanks in advance,
Reuben
Old Apr 18, 2011, 06:57 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,463 Posts
3 degrees mate - 3/4" under the extreme tip of the top wing. The struts will set the dihedral on the lower panels.

Pete