New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb View Post
Yes, it will follow.

charlie
Thanks Charlie,
As long as its not to much of a hassle, I have recently built a vacuum former so it could give me an excuse to have a go at forming a motor
-Reuben
ben199 is offline Find More Posts by ben199
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2011, 03:31 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
856 Posts
Today I added the foam cord to the spoked rims and resurfaced my building board so I can make a start on the kit this weekend
-Reuben
Old Mar 31, 2011, 03:35 AM
Perth WA
Joined Feb 2007
1,038 Posts
Excellent job on the wheels. You've set the standard for the rest of the build now - no less than perfection!

When you say you resurfaced your building board what do you mean - please explain.
Modelholic is offline Find More Posts by Modelholic
Old Mar 31, 2011, 03:53 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modelholic View Post
Excellent job on the wheels. You've set the standard for the rest of the build now - no less than perfection!

When you say you resurfaced your building board what do you mean - please explain.
Thank you, I am happy with how the wheels turned out, I was a bit worried when I first started them.

I brought a new soft board (they type used for message boards) and glued and screwed that to an MDF base. After the glue has set I will then sand the top surface using a large sanding plank untill its level.
I will add a photo tomorrow
-Reuben
Old Mar 31, 2011, 04:03 AM
Perth WA
Joined Feb 2007
1,038 Posts
OK thanks - I just use the MDF straight as it were. I bend a few pins along the way so maybe I need to take a leaf from your book. Looking forward to the pic and great job again with the wheels.
Simon
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:54 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,650 Posts
Simon,
I've had the same building board for years now. Originally a lump of blockboard (more stable than MDF) it has now been faced with a sheet of Sundela (?) board screwed in place. It weighs a ton but is nice and level and is easy to push pins into. Mind you, it is about 4'x3', so it's no surprise it's heavy. 1" blockboard + 3/8" Sundela.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:51 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,648 Posts
OK for us colonials, what is Sundela and blockboard?

I have found that solid core doors make great bench tops for just about everything. Not cheap, but, heavy. Find the ones that are on sale.

Ceiling tiles used to be my favorite material, but, now days I glue up some balsa planks. Three layers of 1/4" works good. They last a bit longer than the ceiling tiles, especially if I don't cut into them

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:33 AM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,998 Posts
I'm guessing that block board is what we in the new world call butcher board. Ain't got a clue as to what Sundela is.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:12 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,650 Posts
Blockboard, as the name implies is a board made up of wood blocks, sandwiched between two ply skins. Sundela is a trade name for notice board type material, a sort of LDF.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:31 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,648 Posts
Interesting. Sound like nice products.
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Mar 31, 2011, 05:10 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,650 Posts
I like the Sundela board for building because it's soft enough to push pins into easily but, unlike insulation board, it's hard enough to hold them firmly.
Old Apr 02, 2011, 03:08 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
856 Posts
Today I started building by striping some 1/8 x 1/8 stock for the Fuse sides. One side is done and tomorrow I will start the other side
-Reuben
Old Apr 02, 2011, 03:15 AM
Perth WA
Joined Feb 2007
1,038 Posts
We're going to clear these builds from Peter's list in short order by the looks of things. Nice work.

Simon
Old Apr 02, 2011, 04:36 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modelholic View Post
We're going to clear these builds from Peter's list in short order by the looks of things. Nice work.

Simon
Thanks,
I'm not sure how fast this build will go.... but it will be measured in weeks not months
I'm using PVA (a slow drying wood glue) so there is only so much I can do in one sitting. I do use CA but I prefer using pva.
-Reuben
Old Apr 03, 2011, 03:06 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
856 Posts
I finished the second fuse side today and while that was drying I started on bending the wire for the upper wing struts.
I also started to glue the front fuse sides together to form the front box section.
After the glue had dried I sat the front and rear sections together to get a sneak peek

Pete,
I do have one question, what is the best way to pull the rear sections together? do I cut and crack the inside edges?

-Reuben