HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2011, 03:22 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
848 Posts
Discussion
Peter Rake's Udet Flamingo

After searching for my next build and a couple of messages to Mr Rake I have decided to have a go at building one of his models the 38" Udet Flamingo.
After a short search on the net I became interested in this plane, hopefully I can do it justice
I have settled on an actual plane that I wish to reproduce and while I wait for the kit to arrive from manzano laser I have decided to have a go at making some spoked rims.
I have used 70mm pvc drain pipe for the rim's and copper rivets soldered together to make the hub's, fishing line is used for the spokes.
This is my first attempt at spoked rims so there is a bit of trial and error
I also ordered a graphics kit from Callie Graphics and after a short wait it arrived and is exactly what I wanted
-Reuben
ben199 is offline Find More Posts by ben199
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2011, 03:35 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
848 Posts
Some photo's of the great graphic's kit that Callie has done, it turned out to be more complete and accurate than I had expected and I think it will really set the model off.
-Reuben
Old Mar 25, 2011, 04:35 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,457 Posts
Reuben,
Glad to see you're keen mate. I think you'll find that more spokes around the rim would result in stronger, better looking wheels.
If you were to double the number at the rim, but keep the same number at the hub you could get a much more realistic looking wheel.
I like your drilled rivet hubs, but you might want to consider joining the two parts with about 10-12 degrees off-set - so the holes aren't in the same position on both sides. Then do the lacing all in one run, starting by doing all the bottom 'spokes'.
It would go a bit like this. Start at the rim (hole 1) and lace through a hub hole, then back out through rim hole 3. go onto rime hole 5 and repeat, coming back out through hole 7, etc., etc.
Once all the bottom spokes are laced, go to the nearest missed rim hole and start the process again for the top spokes. Hopefully, since it's the spokes that provide the strength in these wheels, the greater number of spokes will make for stronger wheels.
Although this shows a different style of wheel, it does give an idea of the lacing pattern.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Mar 25, 2011, 04:53 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
848 Posts
Cheers Pete,
The wheel in the photo is a test to see if I could get my head around the lacing, I will add another 12 holes to the rim and have another go.
Thanks for the spoke pattern pdf that makes it a lot easier
-Reuben
Old Mar 25, 2011, 08:58 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,457 Posts
You're welcome mate. You can ignore those strange looking loops at the top left, they were just for a wheel laced front to back, rather than from the outside of the rim. You can go straight from finishing the back, at 12, to starting the front, at 13.

IIRC, when Pat does his wheels he uses pipe joints, rather than the pipe itself. They're thicker material and allow you to put grooves around the outside for the lacing and tyre to seat into.

Pete
Old Mar 26, 2011, 03:40 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
848 Posts
I put Pete's lacing pdf to the test tonight and I'm happy to say it worked great! One down and one to go.

Pete,
I have a cunning plan to add sides to the rims once they are laced and running true or as close to true as I can get. The sides will be 2x 5mm rings of 1mm plastic sheet.
-Reuben
Old Mar 26, 2011, 08:29 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,351 Posts
Since you have nylon fishing line running through metal hub I's recommend you 'fill' the holes in the hub with epoxy. It will minimize the rubbing of the nylon as the wheel flexes.

Nice work. Reminds me I have to build another set for my Pietenpol.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Mar 26, 2011, 09:07 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,457 Posts
Reuben,
Glad it helped out. Wheel looks good.

Pete
Old Mar 28, 2011, 03:21 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
848 Posts
Some more progress...
I took Charlie's advice and epoxied the hubs where the fishing line/spokes are threaded to prevent any fretting due to movement.
I have added the sides to the rims and given them a coat of silver paint, I just have to add the tyres.
I'm happy with the result and already have some idea's on how to improve things next time I need to make some
-Reuben
Last edited by ben199; Mar 28, 2011 at 03:26 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 04:21 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
848 Posts
Just checked the UPS website and.....

Label/Receipt Number: CJ18 2100 *****
Class: Priority Mail International Parcels
Service(s): International Parcels

Your item arrived in NEW ZEALAND at 11:52 am on March 28, 2011. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 08:31 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,351 Posts
Now we get to see if NZ customs takes as long as Canadian customs.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:26 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
6,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb View Post
Now we get to see if NZ customs takes as long as Canadian customs.
Having lived in both fine lands, I vote "No".

Great set of wheels!
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Mar 30, 2011, 12:12 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
848 Posts
Guess what was waiting for me when I finished work today

Charlie,
Was there ment to be a vacume moulded motor in the kit?

Cheers Reuben
Old Mar 30, 2011, 08:54 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,351 Posts
Yes, it will follow.

charlie