HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2011, 02:32 AM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
New Product
iPhly: Open-Source R/C on the iPhone

I am thrilled to announce the release of iPhly--the iPhone R/C TX--under an open source license.

iPhly: Open Source Radio Control with iPhone (0 min 56 sec)

iPhly is an open software/open hardware combination. It leverages the CPU, display and accelerometer input of Apple's iPhone to fly R/C airplanes. iPhly puts the end to arbitrary limitations like 30 model memories per transmitter or 15 characters per model name.

GPL source code and schematics are available at http://www.iphly.org/index.php/how-it-works/hacking/

If you'd rather buy a complete package than build from scratch, you can order iPhly hardware from RC4WD or RobotShop. RC4WD also has a combo that includes a 2.4GHz module and receiver. The free iPhone app is available on iTunes.

I welcome your feedback, bug reports, patches and orders.

I encourage you to pose your questions and comments here so that others might learn from your experience.

Ari Krupnik.
iter is offline Find More Posts by iter
Last edited by iter; Jul 07, 2011 at 08:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:15 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,631 Posts
Loving the concept, I want to make a couple of "Luna Rover" type Rc cars with a arm and this app an hardware would give me access to the 5th and 6th channel I'm missing by using a 4Ch Eflite Tx.

Are you accepting ideas for extra features/alerative methods?
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Mar 25, 2011, 06:36 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
Thank you for your feedback DJ. Your feedback helps define the product.

Ari.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:00 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,631 Posts
For a year or two I've had ideas bouncing round of things that I would like to see in a product like this, I didn't want to fire a load of them right out there, I a while ago I spent about 2 hours on ideas for a pc based sevro controller then the guy ignored me so I've been a little afraid of bombarding people with ideas to already great programs.

The main thing I would like to see incorporated into this app or a as a seperate app would be support for IR helicopters, out of the 15 or so I own I have to keep 5 remotes fed with a total of 40 AA batteries, even more if I want to have a friend or two fly at the same time!

I know it would need a different hardwear device, I think that may just a case adding IR diodes to the output of one you have made, not saying you should rebuild it but plans for an alernative device would be cool. There is a free app which has plans for a simple jack plug with diodes to control on/off devices, so iphone IR is possible, Darkstar2000 has decoded the Syma S107 and the San Huan helicopters, I think he has released them in this thread...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=ir+protocol

I'll PM you a few other ideas or add them here one soon, I need to sleep now.
All the best, DJ*
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Last edited by djdavies83; Mar 26, 2011 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Spelling etc, I was very tired.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 03:18 AM
Saskatoon,SK Canada
Joined Jul 2010
75 Posts
would it work with the Ipod 4th?

Thank...
CLASH is offline Find More Posts by CLASH
Old Mar 26, 2011, 11:00 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
@DJ*: Thank you for sharing your IR frustration. My original interest in building my own TXs comes from a similar frustration with the number of TXs I need to carry around: http://www.lib.aero/~ari/rc/ . One solution is to build a a TX module that can plug in the back of iPhly (just like the 2.4GHz modules in my photos) but with IR LEDs instead of an RF antenna. The modulation can then come from the phone, and it might be pretty easy for individual pilots to hack up protocol implementations for the helicopters they own. Right now, any hacking on IR protocols requires microcontroller skills and equipment. With iPhly and an IR module, anyone who can program an iPhone app can program IR protocols.

Ari.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 11:03 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
@CLASH: iPhly works with all models of iPhone and iPod Touch. I am attaching images of an iPhly with different iP* devices. iPod touch has the audio jack on the bottom, so the software automatically flips itself upside down if it detects that it's running on an iPod--you can see that the "home" button is on the top in the last photo.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 05:43 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2002
974 Posts
Ari,

From the simple schematic showing the use of LM324 opamp to boost signal levels, it looks like you are only using one channel from the stereo output as your PPM feed. I had a vague feeling that in one of your earlier posts/threads you indicated that the effective resolution of the audio analogue outputs was somewhat limited. Have you overcome this, and if not, would it be possible to use both left and right stereo channels, feeding into a differential amplifier, to effectively double the resolution ???

I'm a mechanical engineer, so if I've totally got the wrong idea, apologies in advance

Geoff
Geoff_S is offline Find More Posts by Geoff_S
Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:43 AM
slow but inefficient
Riverhead NY USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,097 Posts
My money is where my mouth is. Ari has my pledge. This is worth supporting.
Ron Williams is offline Find More Posts by Ron Williams
Old Mar 28, 2011, 09:19 AM
BabyBootLegger
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
656 Posts
I'm assuming that it can be used with an iPad?
Can it be used with a Spektrum DX10t module and the telemetry system?
Regards,
Giovanni
sunworksco is offline Find More Posts by sunworksco
Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:44 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,367 Posts
Giovanni,

If you're asking if the STi can be used with the DX10t, the answer is YES. It can be used with ANY DSM2 or DSMX transmitter. It will work with JR, Spektrum or E-Flite transmitters, even ones which do not have telemetry as an option.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:20 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
Hi Andy, would you like to make this into a Spektrum thread? Say hi to Chris & Paul for me, I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

Ari.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:31 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,367 Posts
No need to, I was just answering a question from Giovanni (sunworksco). At least, I think I was. I'll let them know, Ari.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:36 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
@Geoff: you are entirely correct in your recollection. I trade simplicity for manufacturability. iPhly generates PPM directly as a sound output. This allows for very simple hardware. This also means that you can control everything about the signal from inside the iPhone application. More elaborate shcemes such as you describe can increase the bandwidth. They require a microcontroller inside the case to reconstitute a single PPM stream. My intention is to test the market with a simple product before I invest in a more elaborate version. If I sense enough demand in the market for a more complex device to pay for a production run, I can manufacture it.

@Ron: Thank you for your support. It means the world to me.

@Giovanni: Not sure which product you are asking about. The Spektrum product is a telemetry display; iPhly is a transmitter. I let Spektrum people talk about their display. iPhly works with an iPad, but I prefer to use a smaller device like an iPhone or an iPod touch. With a small device that fits in my palm, I can control 4 channels with one hand. You pretty much need two hands to hold an iPad, and it gets a little cumbersome when flying.

Ari.
Last edited by iter; Mar 28, 2011 at 12:53 PM. Reason: missing word
Old Mar 28, 2011, 06:27 PM
War Eagle!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,832 Posts
Is this designed to specifically accept the spektrum 2.4Ghz module? It looks as if you're flying a parkzone trojan with it, but the kickstarter page makes it look like it has a hitec module installed?

I'm liking this, you may actually get some cash out of the blackhole that is my wallet.
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle