SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 11, 2003, 01:01 AM
What are the 39 steps?
Portland, Oregon
Joined Apr 2003
194 Posts
Slow Stick in Glider Configuration? Slope flyer?

I fly a SS, and I just dropped a new one off for my father today. I noticed again the "glider configuration" specifications in the last pages of the manual. Basically, the motor is gone, a small battery pack is strapped far out on the stick, and the servos are mounted just behind the leading edge of the wing. Also, the front and rear landing gear are left off.

For some reason, this looks like a hoot to me. I watched a handlaunch competition, and I had a daydream of competing with a $35 SS glider. Better still, I wonder how a SS glider would do slope flying.

So, any experienced SS glider flyers out there? SS slope masters?
Zymurgy is offline Find More Posts by Zymurgy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2003, 06:22 AM
Sweden (born UK bred Wales)
Joined Aug 2002
467 Posts
I've often wondered myself. With it's large wing area it ought to make good use of any lift at the slope and I would imagine it would do better than my zagi in very light lift conditions.

However after struggling to control the electric SS in a light breeze I can't imagine it being suitable in turbulent slope lift. I certainly wouldn't dare to try anyway.

Most people prefer airelons when sloping too as it gives quicker control of roll which is necessary in turbulent wind.
konaboy is offline Find More Posts by konaboy