SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 11, 2003, 01:17 AM
Tee Sqaured
Langley, B.C, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
4,548 Posts
why i hate GWS RX's, and the end of a good model.

Hello everyone.

Today was our clubs big fly-in, and for the most part i had a great time, i maidened a new model, impressed the crowd with my 757 ( MAN i had alot of people ask about that model), and flew my P-51.

I am useing the gws 4P RX, it's glitchy around other TX's, but fine on it's own. I flew the 757 when no one else was flying and had no problems, my new model flew fine as long as i stayed away from other TX's, but i did get hit a few times, nothing bad though...

Things started to go wrong once i got around to my P-51....

I had some problems with the servo's, they didn't seem to stay in very sucurely, the control rods needed a bunch of tinkering since i had just installed a new set. And i found some nasty glitching on the range check due to a dead TX battery, i fixed everything, and went flying.

Flew great! Rolled fine and did a realy pretty snap roll, i was comeing across the runway in a high speed pass.

"low pass!" i called out, i was comeing in a diveing steep bank, oh man this is gunna look nice!

She shoots across the runway at a realy nice clip, as i bank bast another TX, boom, mega glitch.

she shudder horridly, then rolled inverted, and in a hartbeat....

It happened in slow motion, watching her scream towards the ground, im hopeless, no control, no chance to save her, she's dommed, and i can't stop it...

BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"!@#$@#!" i said

A loud "owww!" from the pit, i knew there wouldnt be much left she hit so darn hard, almost at full speed too.

I did the long, horrid walk of shame, i found this out in the feild

Thomas Manson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Manson
Last edited by Thomas Manson; Aug 11, 2003 at 02:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2003, 01:18 AM
Tee Sqaured
Langley, B.C, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
4,548 Posts
What a loss!! Im gunna miss her so much, my pretty bird!
Last edited by Thomas Manson; Aug 11, 2003 at 01:24 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 01:19 AM
Tee Sqaured
Langley, B.C, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
4,548 Posts
so pretty,so nice, she's gone forever.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 01:27 AM
BOSS
New Jersey (excl EWR), United States
Joined Apr 2002
4,984 Posts
Ouch! Really really sorry to see that man.... Look into the future, You'll get another airplane right?

BTW, What is this new model you speak of?

Jon
j_z_123 is offline Find More Posts by j_z_123
Old Aug 11, 2003, 01:29 AM
Tee Sqaured
Langley, B.C, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
4,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by j_z_123
Ouch! Really really sorry to see that man.... Look into the future, You'll get another airplane right?

BTW, What is this new model you speak of?

Jon

As a matter of fact, i got 3 new models, i will make a new post very soon, let me say, i got two pylon racers(one flown already with great succes) and a very cute speed 300 fiberglass slowflyer.

BTW, she's probly fixible, but at this point, she would probly suffer from alot of glue and pant, and she's probly will never realy be herself again, i am willing to sell her if anyone wan'ts to fix it, i will let it go real cheap...

Thomas
Last edited by Thomas Manson; Aug 11, 2003 at 01:44 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 01:35 AM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,403 Posts
Sorry for your loss..

I put an Azarr Lite (mid loaded) antenna on my GWS RX and it seemed to cure most of the noise / glitch issues I was having.

From the get go I used to clip the GWS RX (and for that matter the Hitec Feather) antenna in half as I'd get hit even when flying along... now I notice on the GWS web site that they are shipping thier RX with the clipped antenna stock... for better performance.

Still I try not to fly the GWS RX in anything that I really care about... It tends to do duty in my Hummingbird Heli (can't hurt that thing) and slow floaty stuff.

The high-end models all fly JR 610M or FMA M5's.

You'd be amazed at what a little probond will do for putting that 'stang back together - works great as a hole patcher when you are missing chuncks of model.

-Bill
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Old Aug 11, 2003, 01:35 AM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Yup, That's the same thing that happened to my GWS Me-109. I had a GWS R4P and an Azarr micro antenna. I flew away from me about 50 feet and I got a really bad glitch, recovered from that one. At about 75 feet away the model rolled over and dove for the ground at full speed. The crash was not as bad as yours (only 5 pieces) but I retired it right then. It was the fourth crash of this model.

As I was walking torwards the model I noticed that my antenna was DOWN;-( Nice range check huh?)
thunder1 is online now Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Aug 11, 2003, 01:47 AM
Tee Sqaured
Langley, B.C, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
4,548 Posts
To be honest, i only get problems around other TX's, i fly by myself alot and after lots of flights, both high preformance and slowflys, no problems.

Some of you may know i fly close to very high voltage power lines that are out front my house, even they don't cause a problem.

I still don't trust it realy at all anymore, i think im going to save up for a berg.

Thomas
Last edited by Thomas Manson; Aug 11, 2003 at 02:00 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 03:06 AM
Joined Jul 2003
202 Posts
Sorry to hear about your poor mustang, she was a pretty airplane. I'm sure you will build one even nicer now. I read you were going to sell her? How much would you be asking? I am good by now at rebuilding those foam jigsaw puzzles BTW I couldn't PM this because your box was full! Just thought Id let you know.
foofinator is offline Find More Posts by foofinator
Old Aug 11, 2003, 04:13 AM
In My House
Joined Jun 2003
150 Posts
he he.

I didn't know they had hobby shops in Canada?
pittslover is offline Find More Posts by pittslover
Old Aug 11, 2003, 07:12 AM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
Aberdeen, Scotland
Joined Jul 2003
6,969 Posts
i have similar problems with my R4N even when flying alone
but the glitches only manifest in the throtle channel but it starts
as little as 30-40ft away! you can hear the motor hiccuping (which
doesn't do much for the confidence)

Quote:
Originally posted by arenablimp
From the get go I used to clip the GWS RX (and for that matter the Hitec Feather)
antenna in half as I'd get hit even when flying along... now I notice on the GWS web
site that they are shipping thier RX with the clipped antenna stock...
for better performance.

-Bill
i thought that cutting the rx lead was a BIG no-no
correct me if i'm wrong and if i am are there any advantages/disadvantages
from a clipped ariel? both of my R4N's were bought just about a month ago
and the rx wire's are about 950mm (3') what length do you cut them too?

phil
Happy|Harry is offline Find More Posts by Happy|Harry
Old Aug 11, 2003, 07:32 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Wow, sorry to see the Mustang busted up like that. Must have been a spectacular crash. And at least you had an appreciative crowd.

Personally I wouldn't trust a R4P in anything faster than a slowflyer. I have and use five of them, all in slow, light weight planes. My fast planes have either HiTec 555, Electron 6, or FMA EXtreme 5's. Don't have any Berg's yet but that will be my next.

All my GWS receiver antennas are cut in half. All of mine came 1 meter length from the factory. If you have one that's already about 20 inches do NOT cut it.

When I get a new rx I fold the wire in half, so the end is back at the receiver, and then cut at the fold. It not only cuts down on glitches around other transmitters, it also makes the antenna a lot easier to hide.

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Aug 11, 2003, 07:48 AM
North Richland Hills, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
1,881 Posts
Gents, on cutting the antenna on GWS or any receiver, don't! Cutting the antenna decreases your range plain and simple. The Azurr antenna is a tube with the antenna wire wound neatly to make a small package (it works). I've used a six inch piece of wire with a 1.5 micro henry choke for an antenna and it worked well close up on most receivers indoors but again the overall range suffers. I hate the antenna dangling behind the bird so I normally run the antenna out the length of the wing and then back to the trailing edge with a few inches dangling in the breeze. As far as receivers go, fly a dual conversion on your good birds such as the Mustang and ME-109s the cost is much less than you would normally pay for the inexpensive receiver, bird and finishing materials. We all try to save a few bucks but in a crowd the little receivers will cost you dearly. A couple of great little dual conversion receivers are the Hitec 555 with case removed (14 grams) at less than 70 bucks or the Extreme 5 by FMA (my favorite) at 10 grams or less at 50 bucks. The single conversion Bergs all seem to work well in mixed company as does the new Plantago with 10 amp ESC in one neat package. The JR610s caused a lot of trouble when they first came out but I've had pretty good luck with the one I have. When you go indoors is where the most trouble seems to occur, with all the metal and five or six aircraft playing around if your receiver is going to get hit, it will there. The inexpensive little receivers (and I have eight or ten) can sometimes cause us a lot of heartache but we pay our money and takes our chances. I really do not see a thirty dollar dual conversion coming out in the near future but GWS hope you are listening as we sorely need one. ed
Ed Couch is offline Find More Posts by Ed Couch
Last edited by Ed Couch; Aug 11, 2003 at 07:51 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 08:02 AM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
Aberdeen, Scotland
Joined Jul 2003
6,969 Posts
i just went and looked at the GWS website and they have removed the R4N from there lists of products???
and as you saidthey are now selling the R4P with a 500mm
wire (1/2 length)but there is no mention of a R4N at all on their
site?

phil
Happy|Harry is offline Find More Posts by Happy|Harry
Old Aug 11, 2003, 08:06 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi Ed, if you've never tried cutting one of the R4P antennas down to 19 or 20 inches (or half the original) you should. There has been a lot of dicussion on here about it. And it works. It drastically cuts down on glitches caused by interference from other transmitters.

I didn't beleive it at first either and had to try it for myself, (worst case, I'd have to solder it back together) now I am a convert and do it automatically to each new GWS receiver.

In fact it works so well that as Arenablimp (Bill) mentioned GWS has started shipping receivers with half length antennas.

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase