SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:57 AM
nj
Joined Jan 2004
1,430 Posts
Discussion
these are safe to keep in your radio?

I just got one of these life batteries to replace my lipo pack for my radio because i was sick of taking it in and out.... the life packs are safe to keep in your radios right?

reptileman is offline Find More Posts by reptileman
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:20 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,331 Posts
Every pack is safe to keep in your radio, unless it malfunctions, or is charged in the wrong way.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:29 AM
nj
Joined Jan 2004
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez View Post
Every pack is safe to keep in your radio, unless it malfunctions, or is charged in the wrong way.
Just don't trust lipos in the radio all the time!
reptileman is offline Find More Posts by reptileman
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:01 PM
Joined May 2009
505 Posts
Any TX lipo accident reports?
Himalaya is offline Find More Posts by Himalaya
Old Mar 23, 2011, 08:28 PM
misguided user
United States, ND, Fargo
Joined Mar 2011
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himalaya View Post
Any TX lipo accident reports?
i think leaving the tx on all night would be a accident. i did that a few times already. i use eneloops tho.
slide ruler is offline Find More Posts by slide ruler
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:58 PM
Joined May 2009
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide ruler View Post
i think leaving the tx on all night would be a accident. i did that a few times already. i use eneloops tho.
Most if not all decent radios beep if no operation for a few minutes. Even if some don't, the most one can lose is just an overdischarged pack, it may puff, but no hazard.
Himalaya is offline Find More Posts by Himalaya
Last edited by Himalaya; Mar 23, 2011 at 10:59 PM. Reason: bad spelling
Old Mar 24, 2011, 05:39 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,911 Posts
I left mine on overnight twice with no problems.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:11 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Beaware that the DX7 and likely other transmitter can become scrambled if left on until battery become very low. If this happens they must go back to repaire center for fixing. I have not experienced this myself but I never leave my on by accident either but I have read of many such reports.

Guess I should add that I have used NiMH cells for years and years in my RC Transmitters and that for the past 4 years or so the LSD type mostly Sanyo Eneloops.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Mar 25, 2011 at 06:01 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 08:03 PM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
Or you could just sanyo eneloops then you don't have to worry about over working the regulator, removing the battery to charge, over discharge, etc, but still maintaining the very long sitting battery life.
akschu is offline Find More Posts by akschu
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:39 PM
misguided user
United States, ND, Fargo
Joined Mar 2011
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akschu View Post
Or you could just sanyo eneloops then you don't have to worry about over working the regulator, removing the battery to charge, over discharge, etc, but still maintaining the very long sitting battery life.
Def agree there.
slide ruler is offline Find More Posts by slide ruler
Old Mar 25, 2011, 01:06 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,513 Posts
Eneloops

If you are going to use a square cell technology I think this is a way better option than a LiPo.The voltage range doesnt hammer the regulator either.The low voltage alarm is still in the correct range as well.LiFe packs tend to stay balanced better than LiPo but its still a good idea to balance charge.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Last edited by aerocal; Mar 25, 2011 at 01:13 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 06:58 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptileman View Post
Just don't trust lipos in the radio all the time!
Don't trust NiMH as well. This happend to a friend's plane when the charger failed to stop charging the RX battery.
Could as well happen to your TX.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Mar 25, 2011, 07:13 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
NiMH s AKA Eneloops in a Transdmitter charge just fine with the OEM Wal Wart chargers which do not depend on peak detections. Any charger can fail but in 49 years of flying RC I have never had the first problem with these low tech supplied with the radio systems chargers.

There is no need in using a peak detection charger with a RC Transmitter Ni battery unless you need a fast charge at the field due to poor planing on your part. A 1 Amp. rate charge at the field for 15 min. will give you between 1 and 2-1/2 hours of addational transmitter on time depending on your radio.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Mar 25, 2011, 08:24 AM
r/c addict
USA, LA, DeRidder
Joined Jul 2004
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Beaware that the DX7 and likely other transmitter can become scrambled if left on until battery become very low. If this happens they must go back to repaire center for fixing. I have not experienced this myself but I never leave my on by accident either but I have read of many such reports.

Guess I should add that I have used NiMH cells for years and years in my RC Transmitters and that for the past 4 years or so the LSD type mostly Sanyo Eneloops.

Charles
i left my dx7 with lipo on overnight by accident once about a year ago and have had no problems as of yet knock on wood (besides an over discharged lipo)
nitrodude71 is offline Find More Posts by nitrodude71
Old Mar 25, 2011, 09:34 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,078 Posts
I had an old Cannon wall wart TX/RX charger suddenly burn up while I was in the room. Seemed to be a short where the wires exited the plastic case although hard to tell after the fact. I wonder if a bad pack or leaving connected too long can cause a wall wart charger's output wires to overheat melt and short.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged