SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:23 AM
slopaholic
United States, AZ, Oracle
Joined Feb 2007
603 Posts
Discussion
What planes do you have and which would you replace?

I've been thinking about this question for a while, and haven't seen a post quite like it (searched but might not have found it). What I am wondering is, what planes do you currently have, and if they all got stolen or burned up or something catastrophic (no bad juju intended here), and you could only replace one (or possibly 2), which one would it be. And why?? This doesn't necessarily mean the best flying, or whatever, just the one you would replace first. I am calling a slope plane all the planes I fly at the slope, regardless of their being electric or whatnot.

Example is
Slope planes I have:

XR combat wing
Lumberjack 60
JW 60
Kennedy Electron
Mini JW
Easy Glider electric
Cularis
Bowmans Commanche
Weasel
Scorpion 60
Swift
Bird of Time

Were I to lose them all I would replace first the Easy Glider electric. Then the XR from combat wings.

Reasoning is. I use the easy glider more than any other. It is not my favorite soper, nor does it fly the best, ect. But I can take it out (and often do) in my backyard (I have a big backyard) when I don't have enough time to slope, and fly it around and have some fun, even though I can't slope or the conditions aren't right. Also I love to have it at the slope in low wind conditions cause I can throw it out and try to slope, but crank on the motor if I start sinking and bring it back up.

2ndly I would replace the XR, as it is a pretty cheap, pretty easy to build sloper that flies in a very wide range of conditions (I've flown it from about 5mph up to about 30 or 35mph winds). It is often the first plane I throw off the cliff, cause it's foam and I know it can fly in light lift, so if the lift is a question there's a better chance I can get it back. Plus if something horrible happens and I lose it, then I'm not losing hundreds of dollars of plane (like some of the others I have.), and won't be heartbroken. Again it's not my favorite to fly, but I fly it alot, and really enjoy it. I LOVE my JW, but mine is a heavy build, and won't fly in as low of wind conditions, otherwise I would have probably picked the JW. (no, that's not a 3rd choice I'm showing, just an explanation )

I was just wondering if anyone else had given it a thought. I didn't include my partially built kits, just ones I have and actually used. I know it will be very personal, but I thought it might be interesting to see what people would replace and why. Maybe shed some light on what planes to look for in the future. In my case, the lift is not really reliable, and that certainly affects my thoughts, I know it is reliable elsewhere and there will be a very different mentality.

List what you got and whay you'd have to replace if you lost everything else!! There are no wrong answers!!
jnjloo is offline Find More Posts by jnjloo
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2011, 04:02 PM
United States, CA, Cerritos
Joined Feb 2010
112 Posts
1. Dynaflight Talon - 10-25 mph wind (w/o ballast); stable and quick, clean design w/o visible hardware; full flying stab; standard or 'V' tail configuration.
2. R2 Hobbies Speedo - 5-15 mph wind (w/o ballast); very good in light to moderate winds.

I also have the following slope planes:
Fox EPP by Windrider
XR Combat Wing (use to be my go to plane)
Hawk I is offline Find More Posts by Hawk I
Last edited by Hawk I; Mar 23, 2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 04:10 PM
slopaholic
Joined Feb 2007
603 Posts
Super, Those are the ones you would replace. Which others do you have? I am quite curious to see what people have and which of those specifically they would replace first (most valuble to them or MVP's as far as use).

Dan
Old Mar 23, 2011, 04:21 PM
more casual than stylish....
Joined Jan 2003
6,985 Posts
Hmm...

I have the following in flyable or easily repairable states:

Shredder
Destiny
Mach Dart
Quicksilver
Higgins F-20
Dutchy Ki-84
Jart LT
Baby Jart
Gerasis DG-800 3.6 meter scale plane
Gentle Lady
Starling 60"
Aeromod Miraj
Gentle lady
Der Slupen Thing

I'd probably replace the Baby Jart first, as it's such a hoot to fly. After that just about any of the 60" racers, as that's an incredibly versatile class.

I think as you get more toward the margins of your quiver the number of flights per year starts to plunge- for example my DG-800 is still quite clean, but I don't fly it unless I've got good conditions and a decent LZ, so it doesn't see much use. My Starling, on the other had gets *beat*- I fly that thing anywhere.

Back when I started flying I had three planes: A HOB 2x6, a 60" Sparrow, and a Higgins Alias, and that covered just about every set of conditions.
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:35 PM
AMA 105167
United States, CA, Stockton
Joined Jan 2003
1,034 Posts
too many to list ...
replace? Heck, I need to start crashing some again ... just to make room for more!
D_Dawg is offline Find More Posts by D_Dawg
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:50 AM
slopaholic
Joined Feb 2007
603 Posts
Slopemeno,
I agree, though I don't have a lot of pricey planes, it seems to me that the ones that I do have get less use as I'm always saving them for just the right conditions. Love to fly em, and wouldn't want to get rid of them, but they wouldn't be my first to replace, just cause they aren't my "go to" favorites.

D_Dawg, i definitely don't have problems with not crashing, so I'm sure I can help you out on that score if I ever see you, lol
Old Mar 24, 2011, 01:11 AM
TEAM OZSKUNKWORX
KORUMBURRA IN THE BOONDOCS
Joined Jan 2006
4,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno View Post
Hmm...

I have the following in flyable or easily repairable states:

Shredder
Destiny
Mach Dart
Quicksilver
Higgins F-20
Dutchy Ki-84
Jart LT
Baby Jart
Gerasis DG-800 3.6 meter scale plane
Gentle Lady
Starling 60"
Aeromod Miraj
Gentle lady
Der Slupen Thing

I'd probably replace the Baby Jart first, as it's such a hoot to fly. After that just about any of the 60" racers, as that's an incredibly versatile class.

I think as you get more toward the margins of your quiver the number of flights per year starts to plunge- for example my DG-800 is still quite clean, but I don't fly it unless I've got good conditions and a decent LZ, so it doesn't see much use. My Starling, on the other had gets *beat*- I fly that thing anywhere.

Back when I started flying I had three planes: A HOB 2x6, a 60" Sparrow, and a Higgins Alias, and that covered just about every set of conditions.
Got to agree with you on the baby jart they are the ducks guts for a BUZZ

Shane
r/c junkie is offline Find More Posts by r/c junkie
Old Mar 24, 2011, 01:47 AM
AMA 105167
United States, CA, Stockton
Joined Jan 2003
1,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjloo View Post
Slopemeno,
I agree, though I don't have a lot of pricey planes, it seems to me that the ones that I do have get less use as I'm always saving them for just the right conditions. Love to fly em, and wouldn't want to get rid of them, but they wouldn't be my first to replace, just cause they aren't my "go to" favorites.

D_Dawg, i definitely don't have problems with not crashing, so I'm sure I can help you out on that score if I ever see you, lol
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=166

Took these pictures this afternoon ... this only covers a few of them ...
D_Dawg is offline Find More Posts by D_Dawg
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:07 AM
more casual than stylish....
Joined Jan 2003
6,985 Posts
My spare bedroom looks pretty much the same...
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:05 PM
Lancaster Ca
Joined May 2008
551 Posts
If I had a choice of replacing (2) HAVE TO HAVE MY TALON easy to transport flys great no high dollar radio is needed, ballast it and it moves .Combat wing 48in throw and go anywhere I take it everytime I travel ,see a slope with the right direction and speed of wind throw it .You cant break em easy to repair (tape) and maybe control hornI take both of these when I go racing ,sailing(big boat)etc and have stopped for a leg stretch and fly at least one of them local and wind permitting
kenracer759 is offline Find More Posts by kenracer759
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:11 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,330 Posts
I've got...

(x2) Mamba combat wing (my own design)

Monarch 40" foamie plank (my own design)

Gulp SR

modified EPP alula (my own version of it)

Passer Thermo (in for repair)

If I could only keep 2 I'd keep my 2 combat wings. Fast, agile, and indestructable. Plus they are on 2 different remotes (one is mine, one is my dad's) so there's always someone else to combat with ...
Mr. Combat Certain is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Mar 25, 2011, 02:35 AM
Lancaster Ca
Joined May 2008
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orni-freak View Post
I've got...

(x2) Mamba combat wing (my own design)

Monarch 40" foamie plank (my own design)

Gulp SR

modified EPP alula (my own version of it)

Passer Thermo (in for repair)

If I could only keep 2 I'd keep my 2 combat wings. Fast, agile, and indestructable. Plus they are on 2 different remotes (one is mine, one is my dad's) so there's always someone else to combat with ...
You gotta have a floater for light days combat wings are to heavy for that I took a raider and c/ged it thentaped it once itll fly in light /med wind but it takes work but I live in lancaster today it was blowing 25+ w/s/w and not raining that was on the valley floor top of V.H. 40+ Bring your full face helmet
kenracer759 is offline Find More Posts by kenracer759
Old Mar 25, 2011, 03:34 AM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenracer759 View Post
You gotta have a floater for light days combat wings are to heavy for that I took a raider and c/ged it thentaped it once itll fly in light /med wind but it takes work but I live in lancaster today it was blowing 25+ w/s/w and not raining that was on the valley floor top of V.H. 40+ Bring your full face helmet
Both wings are around 22oz, and they float in 5mph. Even so, I'm lucky I have more planes than that .
Mr. Combat Certain is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Mar 25, 2011, 06:25 AM
I failed linkage geometry
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
4,242 Posts
Got way too many to mention.

Would need a replacement Wizard Compact II (or similar due to the replacement cost) and an all round PSS machine, probably a Skunkworx Heinkel.

Apart from those I'd just make the multitude of kits in my storage shelves
salisbug is offline Find More Posts by salisbug
Old Mar 27, 2011, 05:36 AM
Hamburg, GER
Joined Sep 2009
219 Posts
Too lazy to list all...

If I could only keep two it would be these little 39" foam wings at the moment. They fly in almost any condition, from nearly zero to a strong breeze and are the first I throw out to check conditions. They give me a lot of confidence and can take a lot of abuse.

Pic from yesterday...
Jenne is offline Find More Posts by Jenne