SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 14, 2001, 11:47 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
Foamie Forum Contest Update

Control Tower - October 2001 (Foamie Forum Contest)
dave_lilley is offline Find More Posts by dave_lilley
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2001, 06:35 PM
Mil, WI
Joined Oct 1999
600 Posts
What are the rules for this contest? Link to them? I tried to do a forum search but the search funtion seems to be broken at this time. Thanks.
Destroy is offline Find More Posts by Destroy
Old Oct 15, 2001, 07:22 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
Foamie Forum foam bashing contest

<hr>

http://www.ezonemag.com/articles/200...r/ctower.shtml

The Foamie Forum is holding a foam plane-building contest. There will be two categories of planes for the contest. The first category of plane is the speed 400 single engine plane and the second is the speed 400 multi-engine plane. I decided to use the speed 400 motor to help keep costs down and the playing field a little more level.

The contest is limited to non-pros. Likewise, I cannot compete since I am hosting this shindig. By the way, I categorize a "pro" as anyone who has built a plane that has been put into production or circulation through plans or through kits.

Contestants have 90 days to design and build their models. The planes can be made of any type of foam. While materials other than foam can be used in the construction, the major structures of the plane such as the main wing and fuselage should be comprised of at least 60% foam.

There is no limit on the size or weight of the planes. In the multi-engine category, there is no limit to the number of motors used.

The main voting criteria are flying capability, appearance, and originality. The models should be capable of flight and while pictures or video of the plane in flight might help in the judging, I will trust the modelers to give an accurate account of their flight tests.

Each contestant should provide pictures of the model and a mini-review that covers the basics of the construction, the materials and components used, and the flight tests.

The judges will be our fellow E-Zoners. At the end of the 90 days, I will unveil all of the contestant’s models at the same time with their mini-reviews. All registered E-Zone members who were registered before the contest was announced will have one vote. At the end of the voting cycle of 30 days, the winners in each of the respective categories will be announced.

You may ask, "What happens if I want to compete, but I can’t build a plane this time around?" I am contemplating future foamie contests every six months or so with different criteria, such as pro-level contests, EDF models, gliders, pylon planes, and a knock-off contest that requires the modeler to build their best foam version of a production plane. To make sure that nobody jumps the gun, each of these future contests will be announced in their own good time.

<hr>

Q. Do I need to formally enter, or just submit a model when completed?
A. No formal application is required to enter the contest. All you need to do is submit a mini-review before the end of the deadline.

Q. When did the contest begin and on what date does it end?
A. It started on August 24 and ends the November 22.

Q. Can we enter both categories at once?
A. Yes.

Q. Are gear drives allowed?
A. Yes.

Q. Can I use any voltage speed 400 motor?
A. As long as it is a speed 400 can motor, yes.

<hr>

Make sure and have your submissions in by the deadline. Please send them in a Word document or plain text file. If you have access to a word processor, please use it to make a cursory check of your spelling and grammar. Please do not put the pictures in the document, but instead put "tags" in the text where the pictures will go.

Example: {test.jpg}

If you have a compression utility like Winzip, please zip up the document and pictures. Send the highest quality pictures you can and I will format, reduce, crop, color and contrast balance, and clean them up as necessary. When all the submissions have been processed, I will publish them and post a poll where registered E-Zone members can vote on the winners. I've decided to have a first place winner, a second place winner, and a third place winner.

I guess I should finally tell you what the prizes will be. The third place winner wins an E-Zone t-shirt. The prize for the second place winner, a Velkom 24/12 motor, is being sponsored by the E-Zone. The 24/12 is a Speed 600 sized motor with approximately 15% higher power output than standard Speed 600. It can power gliders with wingspan of 59-90 inches, weighing up to 5 pounds on a 7 or 8 cell pack and APC or Aeronaut 9x5 prop. It is also good for trainers and sport airplanes with wingspans of 40-55 inches, weighing up to 3 pounds, using a 7 cells pack and an APC 8x4, or Aeronaut 9x5 prop. This motor can haul around a hefty amount of foam! Electric Aero Modeling Inc. is sponsoring the first place price, which is a $100.00 gift certificate at EAM! With the enormous selection at EAM, there are plenty of goodies to choose from for $100.00.

<hr>

I had originally hoped to have two first place prizes, but now there is a first, second, and third place prize for the combined categories. Remember, the main voting criteria are flying capability, appearance, and originality regardless of the category of model and the best designs win.

Good luck,
Dave
Old Oct 15, 2001, 07:27 PM
Mil, WI
Joined Oct 1999
600 Posts
Ack. Sounds great and I'd love to enter it but thats way too little time for me. Some people have real lives you know. Heck, tell me its due by spring and I'll consider entering.
Destroy is offline Find More Posts by Destroy
Old Oct 15, 2001, 07:45 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
The first notice went out in August, in the forums and the Control Tower. However, it does seem like yesterday. Maybe you can do the next contest Destroy.

If all goes well, we will have more.
Old Oct 17, 2001, 09:48 AM
Strange Plane Central
Poway (near San Diego), CA US
Joined Dec 2000
1,883 Posts
Honorary entry

I have had plans published in a few magazines so I think I am disqualified. How about another catagory for this contest or the next one to include a honorary position. The "pros" would not be eligble for the prizes but might add some "zing" to the contest.

Contests are a great way to get the creative juices going!
frankenfoamy is offline Find More Posts by frankenfoamy
Old Oct 17, 2001, 10:15 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,945 Posts
Please don't forget the 280 and smaller foamies. From the posts on home brews, these appear to be the largest group by far.
hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Oct 17, 2001, 02:21 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
If anyone would like to show off their project, but they don't qualify for this contest, you have a few options. You can submit your mini-review, but it won't be voted on. You can wait for the pro-level design competition. Alternatively, you can make a little larger and more detailed article and I can publish it as a separate construction article.

As for s280 models, if we have enough participation, perhaps we could have a s280 design competition too.

Dave Lilley
Old Oct 17, 2001, 08:18 PM
Master of disaster
Northern Virginia
Joined May 2000
707 Posts
To what email address should we send the zipped file to?
Travis is offline Find More Posts by Travis
Old Oct 17, 2001, 08:35 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
dlilley@ezonemag.com
Old Oct 19, 2001, 08:22 PM
Dallas,TX
Joined Jul 2001
1,656 Posts
I agree with Hoppy! Don't descriminate against the smaller airframes. How about a contest just for 280 and smaller. I just finished my "shorty" which weighs 6 ounces and flies on the lite stik motor. It might not be as fast as the bigger planes but was still fun to build!
mattk17 is offline Find More Posts by mattk17
Old Oct 24, 2001, 12:43 PM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,241 Posts
Can we start with something like a Wally Foamy ?? and bash from there ??

.....or does it all have to be from scratch-built parts ???

Alan W
Alan W is online now Find More Posts by Alan W
Old Oct 24, 2001, 01:14 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
If I get a good turnout for this contest, there will be more. If that happens, I will submit a poll to find out which contest we should run first.

Super tiny (micro size) planes…
Speed 280 and smaller designs…
Pro-level designs
Balsa bashing
Larger than Speed 400
Open (anything goes)
Scale
Ultrafast
Duration

Submit your ideas and I will pick the top four and add them to the poll.

As for what qualifies as a scratch built plane, submit your plane and let your fellow E-Zoners judge your entry.
Old Oct 24, 2001, 09:36 PM
New Bedford, Ma. USA
Joined May 2001
1,414 Posts
Dave I know there are two categories, Single s400 and multie s400, My question is are there two sets of prizes or do the two categories compete for the same three prizes.

Dauntae
Dauntae is offline Find More Posts by Dauntae
Old Oct 25, 2001, 12:24 AM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
One set of prizes...

(From above)

Quote:
I had originally hoped to have two first place prizes, but now there is a first, second, and third place prize for the combined categories. Remember, the main voting criteria are flying capability, appearance, and originality regardless of the category of model and the best designs win.