SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 23, 2011, 05:16 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2008
922 Posts
Discussion
Walkera New Devention Devo 12 transmitter first impression:

Got a new toy in our office today. The new walkera Devention Devo12 12ch radio with LCD touch screen display. Very interesting as this is a high end radio from Walkera. Loaded with features like oversize color LCD display with backlight, 60 model memory, USB firmware update, programs for helicopter, plane and gilder, LIPO battery with charger, wireless data transfer, the list just goes on and on. These are only some of the features I can think of now as I am still trying to find out more regarding this radio….

The packaging look very nice as everything is housed inside the included aluminum transmitter case. Included in the package is LIPO tx battery, wall charger, 12ch 2.4G receiver, neck strap, etc. The first thing I notice is the screen is very big. Most items are display with large icon with name below it, btw: can choose between English and Chinese manual now, hope they add different language in the future. There are 2 timers on the main page which I think is very handy. When go into the the manual I notice I need to press it quite hard. Personally prefer softer input but it maybe safer as you will not press it accidently during operation. It is a little better after I remove the screen protective film but still need to press it hard compare to other touch screen radio. The manual is really easy to understand almost everything was explained by the icon or graph already. Incase you have large fingers like me you can still use the buttons beside the screen to operate the manual. The stick movement is very smooth. After I took the back cover off I notice all sticks was support by ball bearing. Makes it very accurate and the feel is very nice. After using walkera 2801 radio in my 450 and 500 for over one year already without one single glitch, I am very confident this system should work flawlessly. Next thing is get it into my 500 and see how it goes. 

Like:
Large LCD touch screen
Selectable wall paper
Very smooth stick movement with ball bearing support
Hard case LIPO transmitter battery included
Included aluminum carrying case so everything fit nicely inside
The finishing and plastic used are sure top of the line
60 model memory

Dislike
Touch screen need to press hard
The size is quite big. Which could be little hard to hold for user with small hands, but there are rubber grip on both sides and the back so should not be a big issue
ehirobo is offline Find More Posts by ehirobo
Last edited by ehirobo; Mar 23, 2011 at 05:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2011, 05:56 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,847 Posts
Looks good, my first impression are looks like the JR11X as far as LOOKS are concerned.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:04 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2008
922 Posts
Yap, and think they both look very good. hehe
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:46 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3 Posts
Walkera Devention Devo 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehirobo View Post
Got a new toy in our office today. The new walkera Devention Devo12 12ch radio with LCD touch screen display. Very interesting as this is a high end radio from Walkera. Loaded with features like oversize color LCD display with backlight, 60 model memory, USB firmware update, programs for helicopter, plane and gilder, LIPO battery with charger, wireless data transfer, the list just goes on and on. These are only some of the features I can think of now as I am still trying to find out more regarding this radio….

The packaging look very nice as everything is housed inside the included aluminum transmitter case. Included in the package is LIPO tx battery, wall charger, 12ch 2.4G receiver, neck strap, etc. The first thing I notice is the screen is very big. Most items are display with large icon with name below it, btw: can choose between English and Chinese manual now, hope they add different language in the future. There are 2 timers on the main page which I think is very handy. When go into the the manual I notice I need to press it quite hard. Personally prefer softer input but it maybe safer as you will not press it accidently during operation. It is a little better after I remove the screen protective film but still need to press it hard compare to other touch screen radio. The manual is really easy to understand almost everything was explained by the icon or graph already. Incase you have large fingers like me you can still use the buttons beside the screen to operate the manual. The stick movement is very smooth. After I took the back cover off I notice all sticks was support by ball bearing. Makes it very accurate and the feel is very nice. After using walkera 2801 radio in my 450 and 500 for over one year already without one single glitch, I am very confident this system should work flawlessly. Next thing is get it into my 500 and see how it goes. 

Like:
Large LCD touch screen
Selectable wall paper
Very smooth stick movement with ball bearing support
Hard case LIPO transmitter battery included
Included aluminum carrying case so everything fit nicely inside
The finishing and plastic used are sure top of the line
60 model memory

Dislike
Touch screen need to press hard
The size is quite big. Which could be little hard to hold for user with small hands, but there are rubber grip on both sides and the back so should not be a big issue
When will it be available and how much will it cost? Should bind with all walkera Helicopters?
tmarce is offline Find More Posts by tmarce
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:07 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2008
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarce View Post
When will it be available and how much will it cost? Should bind with all walkera Helicopters?
It is available now. To bind it to older walkera heli you need to upgrade the 4in1 which will be available shortly......
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:21 AM
United States, OH, Cuyahoga Falls
Joined Apr 2006
224 Posts
Does it have telemetry like thank Hitec Aurora?

Thanks,

Le fou
le fou is online now Find More Posts by le fou
Old Mar 25, 2011, 09:17 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2008
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by le fou View Post
Does it have telemetry like thank Hitec Aurora?

Thanks,

Le fou
No telemetry on this one....
Old Mar 26, 2011, 06:56 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,451 Posts
absolutely gorgeous radio....but $620? really? i dont think walkera is going to have any luck taking part of the radio market when this radio is $200 more than a futaba 8fg, $300 more than a hitec A9, etc.
rcbirk21 is online now Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:30 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2008
922 Posts
I think it is better to compare this radio to the 14MZ level with the touch screen colored LCD, bearing supported control stick, etc......
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:27 AM
Joined Mar 2010
38 Posts
Quote:
I think it is better to compare this radio to the 14MZ level with the touch screen colored LCD, bearing supported control stick, etc......
Yes, absolutely. And it is so far from JR11X (except for case look, but not the same always).
I'm using 2 Tx2801 now and I think DEVO 12 could be a high performance radio at a very interesting price.
USB port, touch screen, high quality sticks are the most notable "plus".
Unfortunately it is not backward compatible with older RX (at least it should be usable on RX 2801!).
I wouldn't use DEVO 12 on my 4G6Ss or 4#3B helis, but I have 6 RX 2801 installed, and I wouldn't change them at whole.
Maybe Walkera can offer to me an RXs substitutions with newest RXs? If they do that, I'll buy the new trasmitter immediately! :-D
eriskio is online now Find More Posts by eriskio
Old Mar 30, 2011, 12:21 PM
Sunday flyer
Gdansk, Poland
Joined Aug 2007
177 Posts
Quote:
Come on... It's still only Walkera. I bet that the 80% of the MZ's price comes for the FUTABA sticker. Touchscreen LCD is not a big deal nowadays, nor is ARM MCU controlling it.
Then it's the firmware that makes the good transmitter and bad transmitters apart. Anyone seen a real review of the capabilities of the Walkera's software?

I highly doubt that the Chinese can make a complex (software-wise) device with Western intuitiveness.

Don't get fooled with the BLING

Michal
mikon is offline Find More Posts by mikon
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:20 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2008
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikon View Post
Come on... It's still only Walkera. I bet that the 80% of the MZ's price comes for the FUTABA sticker. Touchscreen LCD is not a big deal nowadays, nor is ARM MCU controlling it.
Then it's the firmware that makes the good transmitter and bad transmitters apart. Anyone seen a real review of the capabilities of the Walkera's software?

I highly doubt that the Chinese can make a complex (software-wise) device with Western intuitiveness.

Don't get fooled with the BLING

Michal
Hello mikon: I do agree with things like 80% of the price goes to the sticker. And I got my first touchscreen radio around 15 years ago..... I personally think the walkera software is ok as I am very familiar to the 2801 software and the Devo software is just one step further. To be hornest if you give me a JR radio I will be totally lost. lol Well, for now I would say it is a good, glitch free radio with very good stick "feel". Let see if I or someone can find any issues so we can report back to walkera.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:39 PM
Malaysia, Penang, Bayan Lepas
Joined Apr 2010
460 Posts
I'm using 2801Pro TX, and I admit it is a great TX. But $620 is too much for me. I'll stick with 2801
thloh85 is offline Find More Posts by thloh85
Old Apr 01, 2011, 06:39 AM
ojo
Joined Dec 2006
53 Posts
Quote:
lol Well, for now I would say it is a good, glitch free radio with very good stick "feel". Let see if I or someone can find any issues so we can report back to walkera.
Hi,

is it compatible to the other Walkera 2.4Ghz receivers, like the ones from M120D01 or V120D02?

Regards, ojo
ojo is online now Find More Posts by ojo
Old Apr 01, 2011, 09:13 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2008
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post
Hi,

is it compatible to the other Walkera 2.4Ghz receivers, like the ones from M120D01 or V120D02?

Regards, ojo
Nope.... for other Walkera 2.4G system you need to change the 4in1/ receiver.